Are electronic predator calls legal in Oregon? [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Are electronic predator calls legal in Oregon?

Hellgate
12-30-2007, 09:40 PM
I am about a gnat's eyelash away from getting a digital remote predator caller and cannot find if they are legal in my home state for calling coyotes, mountain lion or bears. I have found in the upland bird regulations they are OK for crows but not turkeys or waterfowl. I cannot find any references to their use for the other species mentioned above. It is suggested that hunters use predator calls to take bear & lions but no distinction is made as to whether hand held or electronic calls are permitted. Anybody know for sure?
Hellgate in Orygun

BAM
12-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Yep, your good to go.......

Brian in Oregon
01-01-2008, 01:01 AM
At one time you could only use recorded calls for non-game (varmints, coyotes, etc.) and crows.

There are new changes:

The 2008 ODFW Big Game Regulations book says, on page 21:

Q. Can I use a recorded call for hunting big game?

A. Yes. Recorded calls can be used for all species except upland game birds and waterfowl.

The 2007/2008 ODFW Game Bird Regulations book states, on page 10:

No person shall:

Hunt game birds (except for crows) by the use of records or tapes of bird calls or counds, or electrically amplified imitations of bird calls for sounds.

So, you can use an electronic call for coyotes, crows, cougar, deer, elk, antelope and bear.

You can't use it for ducks, geese, pheasant, quail, chukar or turkey.

Maybe this info will help with the selection of a unit and sound cards.

BTW, you could also use it for bobcats and fox if you got a furtakers license (not to be confused with a trappers license).

Hellgate
01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
BAM & Brian,
Thank you so much for the info. GEEZE, it gets more complicated every year. That's one reason why I gave up on waterfowl: too many regulations (goose identification courses, steel shot I couldn't hit anything with, every 50 feet a different set of rules). Maybe I will get a fur takers license though so's I can make a new fur hat. Thanks guys!