300 Whisper [Archive] - Varmints Den

: 300 Whisper

HEAD0001
01-11-2008, 01:40 AM
I am getting ready to order a new barrel for my Encore to Ground Hog hunt with. My primary goal is a barrel with a suppressor, and being able to get as much distance as I can. I have done a couple of posts about the 223 Remington, and have gotten some good advice. I found a TC Encore barrel in 300 Whisper. I have been doing alot of research on this cartridge, and I am considering it over a 223 Remington I think the sub-sonic load would do better on ground hog's than the 223 would do. I was thinking about the 125 grain Nosler BT. The TC barrel has a 1in10 twist, and is 24 inches long. Does anybody have any input on the Whisper?? What length should I cut the barrel to??

I really want to get this barrel right the first time. Thanks, Tom.

bcp
01-11-2008, 02:18 AM
I believe the 300 Whisper was developed for subsonic use with a 200+ grain bullet. With a 125 grain, you wouldn't need that large a case. I believe a 30 Carbine case would do it easily. Also check out the Whisper cartridges based on 30 Luger and 7.62x25/30 Mauser cases. The less powder, the less noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisper_Family_of_Firearm_Cartridges

"There are also two little-known cartridges of the Whisper Family based on handgun cartridge cases. These are the 7.62 Micro Whisper, based on the .30 Luger case; and the 7.63 Mini-Whisper, based on the .30 Mauser case. Like the rest of the Whisper Family, these two cartridges are designed to fire rifle bullets at subsonic velocities."

Bruce

CTKen
01-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Have you done the calculations on the trajectories at different yardages? That .308 at such slow velocities is going to have some rainbow like trajectory, unless you are shooting at very limited distances.

TAJ45
01-11-2008, 10:39 AM
We know what a 40gr rf will do.........3-5x that wgt would give me pause for thought and would have to really pick and choose tgts.

Monkeyman
01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Have you done the calculations on the trajectories at different yardages? That .308 at such slow velocities is going to have some rainbow like trajectory, unless you are shooting at very limited distances.

I've found anything from .22RF to rally cars moving at 1000fps has just about the same trajectory, aerodynamics seems to have very little practical effect at that speed. Practical field accuracy past 100yds is very difficult.

I give anyone who wants to wet their feet in subsonic shooting the same advice. But a cheap .357 Contender barrel and shoot cheap factory .38Special out of it. If you can live with the performance and accuracy then splash out on something more fancy. If you can't live with it, sell the barrel and move on.

DuaneinND
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
The major factor is if you want to maintain "silence". I built a 300 Whisper with a suppressor for shooting coyotes in a cattle feedlot. To keep from scaring the cows the bullet had to remain sub sonic. He is shooting the 220 MK and tells me that anything beyond 125 yards becomes somewhat a guessing game when sighted in for 100. If the target was larger than a coyote's 4-5" kill zone or vertical instead of horizontal it wouldn't be quite as bad. We went with a #7 contour barrel and 17" simply because it was the same diam. as the suppressor and that kept the OAL under 26".
You can always shoot the lighter bullet in a faster twist barrel, but it won't work the other way around and in your case the muzzle blast would be the most offfensive.

www.duanesguns.com