Opinions needed on fill for Uncle Bud's Bull Bags [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Opinions needed on fill for Uncle Bud's Bull Bags

Chris K.
03-22-2008, 11:37 AM
I've always used sand in my Protektor leather bags, but I'm concerned about the weight and dust problem with using sand in these rather large, part-canvas bags. I'm looking for something about half the weight of sand, but without the dust problem. I've searched the Internet and here's what I found:

1) Glass beads? Sounds perfect, but where do you find them?
2) Corn media? Could be a player.
3) Walnut shells? Too light?
4) Rice? Is dampness an issue? Adjustability of bags?
5) Kitty Litter? The thought just gives me the creeps.
6) Lead? Way too heavy.
7) Sand? Too heavy. Dust seeps from canvas.
8) Polystyrene (bean bag) pellets? Too light and soft.

Anyone have any differing opinions than these? Or, other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the corn media, but it looks awfully expensive for the amount I need.

TIA,
Chris

Ron in Mn
03-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I bought a bag of pet store ground up corncob pet bedding thinking it would work for a case tumbler but some of the cob pieces were too big and plugged up the smaller caliber bottle neck casings. But it is cheap and works good for canvas shot bags light weight and no dust.

Dave H
03-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I bought a competitive bag (DGGB) and had them fill it...they used a recycled, plastic soft drink bottle filler ..I know not whether chopped or shredded or what but works great..the slight smell of Coke Zero or whatever faded fast.

It works great and is semi-heavy (large bag). I am confident that both the bag and filler will outlast me..and mine.

I decided against sand( including heavy aquarium sand) and all the organic options primarily on moisture, mold and mildew concerns as live in FL...well not on the sand.

I don't know if the DGGB folks would sell their filler however might be worth a try.

vmthtr in green bay
03-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I used walnut shells from a pet store and vowed if I bought another I would have Don fill the D@#M thing. PITA. It is not lite with the walnut.

Mike

Ackman
03-22-2008, 02:04 PM
I bought several bags from a gunshop in Montana, made by one of the employees. They're filled with wheat and it's about perfect. Doesn't weigh much and has just the right amount of give.

gonzo gunner
03-22-2008, 03:25 PM
i've seen them filled with rice of all things. i have my bags filled with corn cob media. it seems to work ok. i have some soft leather ones filled with sand. i even know one guy who didn't have anything and used bird seed!!!!! i guess if it works for him thats all that matters.

Fuzz
03-22-2008, 04:08 PM
then after about a year, pour 'em out in a pot & add a ham knuckle and an onion and cook 'em up:eek: ! Next year my wife wants 15 Bean Cajun Chilli, so I'll let you know how them works:rolleyes: ....

Really, always used dried beans or peas!:)

doughboy
03-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Call Don at DGGSB and ask if he would sell some of there shredded hard plastic they use in there bags. Don is a great guy,might do it.
Mike

Markbo
03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
What about blasting media... the glass beads in particular. You can get a big bag/box from Tractor Supply. Sure wouldn't be light though. What is used on all those bags at the gunshops and outdoor stores?

faith1
03-23-2008, 09:09 AM
from the big bags that I buy for the deer. Filled my large one about 8 years ago - no rot/moisture problem but it is heavier than I want to carry around. Lighter is always better for me now as I'm old and weak now.

JC Blauvelt
03-23-2008, 09:25 AM
I went thru this same dilemma when I bought a Bulls Bag. Sand was too heavy and dusty. Corn cob too light. Glass beads too heavy and too fine. They leaked. Plastic beads would have been great but too expensive. Would have cost more than the bag! Re-cycled shredded plastic was too course and would need to be washed of sticky soft drink liguid.
I ended up using millet seed. Inexpensive, not too heavy or too light, filled the bag well, easily available at any farm store, moulds to gun well in the bag ears, and does not leak from seams. Just don't get it wet or it could get mouldy.

44magfan
03-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I filled mine with rice. Kind of heavy. That was couple years ago. Haven't opened it up to see what it looks like in there. Should be O.K. as it hasn't got wet. If you could find a cheap source of plastic beads, the ones they use in plastic injection industry, I think it would be perfect.

eggman
03-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I used the stuff that we keep in the truck shop to pour on oil spills (to soak up the oil) in my Bulls Bag. It looks like kitty litter but isn't. Work just fine. You can buy it at Advance Auto and similar stores.

Rodney

Alan Copeland
03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
I bought the BB sized plastic beads at Hobby Lobby for my bags.

BillPa
03-23-2008, 11:18 AM
I use "Reptile Sand". Instead of having the sharp edges like quarried sand its round so it doesn't chew the guts out of lizards. I mix it with 1/2 tablespoon of talcum powder to a pound of sand, easier to fill the bag, packs well and very little if any fine dust. I buy it locally at "The Fish Place", but I would guess most pet shops would carry it.

Bill

crashcarruthers
03-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Unpopped Popcorn is not bad, I used it out of desperation one time and I liked it. "Food for thought"! :D

mthill6000
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Bulls Bag end-user... Let me bring you up to speed in addressing your question in regards to filling material, weight and accuracy. Stability always comes from (3) three corner stones in a shooting rest. They are a wide foot print... low center of gravity and weight. The Bulls Bag when filled with sand in the 15" model will way about 40lbs and the 10" about 25lbs. The dust problem comes from sands or other medias (cat-litter) that have not been dried and filtered for those dusty applications, but can be found with a large reduction of dust particles by purchasing Silica sand that is found in side the stores (dried and filtered) and Tidy-cat that is 97% dust free.

The Cat-litter will reduce the 15" model Bulls Bag in weight to nearly half (21lbs). The next injections are related to accuracy when using Medias that reduce weight! Test show here that when shooting a 22-250 Browning BOSS, Medallion, 55gr Hornady V-Max a 100yds, and a 3-shot group was a 2/10" pattern. That represents seeing only two of the three shots... By changing to a less heavy material, the next 3-shots ONLY changed by less then an additional 2/10" (total less than 4/10th.)

I don't think very many shooters have that skill, nor the equipment to measure those results, as we have here at the factory. Fill the bag with cat-litter and you will be completely satisfied with the results... with half the weight.

Remember the stability formula. Its all about weight and balance and no others will produce any thing close to the Bulls Bag results, because that formula is not in their designs.

Happy shooting and Hit the Target...every time

Lucky Shooter
04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
My bag is also filled with millet seed.

I got the bag used about 10 years ago and it was already filled with the millet seed.

I've had no problems with the seed filler and the weight makes it very stable but lighter than sand.

A. Weldy

hotcap
04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
We just use gold dust here in SC :D

joez
04-17-2009, 05:00 PM
My Bulls Bag I used rice, haven't had any issues with dampness. I made a couple of shooting bag out of shot bags, I used sand in heavy duty 1 gallon ziplock bags, just make sure all the air is squeezed out and then hot glued the cloth end shut, these work real good.
Joe

mthill6000
04-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Bulls Bag Owners, The Bulls Bag has a Lifetime GUARANTEE from leaking. The construction is a double seem that means it is sewn in-side-out and then tuned right-side-out and a top seem is then added. Materail that is used for filling would have to pass through two seems. Not Likly... The canvas material is a 10/10 Army Duck (tight pattern) that makes it hard for any materials to exit. The other models (Camo / Black) are made of 900 polyester and have a 2mill PVC coating on the inside to ensure the guarantee of lifetime.

It is a given...Bulls Bags are constructed to last forever and are the Benchmark in shooting rest. Others have tried to become "imitators" but fail in matching the BULLS BAG in all concern.

Also, I purchased some cat-litter yesterday at Sams Club and the Tidy Cat brand is now 99.6% dust free.

I hope this is helpful

Markbo
04-18-2009, 03:16 PM
So just curious here... do a lot of you guys use the Bulls Bags instead of front rest/rear bag for say prairie dog shooting?