?? Tuning a single stage AR trigger [Archive] - Varmints Den

: ?? Tuning a single stage AR trigger

Hawkeye
12-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Does anyone have input on tuning an AR single stage trigger. I have a new RRA and the trigger is pretty heavy. I don't want to spend the $$ on a two stage if I can help it. I've tuned triggers on other rifles with good success, just not sure about the AR.
Thanks in advance

EricT
12-18-2006, 12:39 AM
I like the JP triggers but if you play with your stock trigger don't file on it or change any angles. Put the hammer springs under the trigger pin and maybe bend then up to reduce tension on the trigger pull. The creep and over travel will be bad but it will lighten it alittle. If you put in screws to adj the engagement and one for over travel it will really help. Engagement in the grip screw and in front of the trigger for over travel.
EricT
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e357/scout58/DSC01649Small.jpg
Jake with his first rifle killed coyote my 16" 6X45, 58 gr Vmax

6mmRemington
12-18-2006, 10:57 AM
<SNIP> ...but if you play with your stock trigger don't file on it or change any angles. Put the hammer springs under the trigger pin and maybe bend then up to reduce tension on the trigger pull. The creep and over travel will be bad but it will lighten it alittle. If you put in screws to adj the engagement and one for over travel it will really help. Engagement in the grip screw and in front of the trigger for overtravel.

Couple of things here.
First, AR trigger group parts are surface hardened ONLY. This means that if you file on them, you take off most/all of the hardened metal and the engagement is now changing rapidly as the softer metal wears. This can cause ADs or worse.
Second, the trigger springs go on top of the trigger pins and ride in the little grooves there. This is what holds the pins in! If you try putting them under the pins, watch the pins so they don't 'walk out' of the lower.
Best thing I've found for stock triggers is a little spring bending and some Tetra Grease. And they still suck. My Service Rifle has a two-stage Jewell, great trigger. Oughta be, for ~ $200 or so. I've shot some RR two-stage, they're not bad but only $50 or so cheaper.

6mmRemington

Terry N.
12-22-2006, 09:43 PM
You can get the RRA NM trigger for $75 from Brownells, if you can qualify for their 'dealer' prices. Any sort of business license or FFL (including a C&R) will qualify you for this. Well worth the price.

If you want to tinker with the issue trigger, you might try a reduced power spring set. Also, go down to your Auto Parts store and buy some 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. Lay the sandpaper on a piece of glass and polish the top and front edge of the trigger on it. Make certain not to change any angles or remove much metal. All you want to do is polish things.

The trigger will still suck compared to a bolt gun, but it will be better than it was.