Love affair with the 32 H&R mag. [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Love affair with the 32 H&R mag.

frank c.
01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I have a new love affair with the 32 H&R mag,dont tell my wife LOL.I bought a marlin 1894 cowboy 32 H&r mag a couple of weeks ago and topped it with a Bushnell elite 3200 2X7X32.I went out today and got her sighted in,it shoots great with very little recoil.IMHO this is a very nice round for what yardages I shoot here in Michigan 75 or 125 yards max.Can,t wait to take it varmint hunting.:D

Gary in NH
01-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Several members of this board also like this round in either a revolver or lever action. For under 100yds and for the appropriate sized varmints it is a hoot to shoot! Years ago a friend of mine bought a 32h+r in a Contender carbine and it was a rush to be able to explode melons, milk jugs, soda bottles etc with little or no recoil. I have thought about a lever action in the 32 for my walk about varmint rifle..... just have to wait and find the funds to buy one!

Tack25
01-10-2007, 07:56 AM
A buddy of mine used to love his 32h&r, but I think his was in a revolver... its been a long time ago. At the time, I was young and couldnt see the attraction (all I understood was 'bigger is better') so I just remember being tired of hearing about it. Now I think I understand a bit better about the lure of the minimal recoil and fun factor.
I was just going to say I ran into a Rossi lever gun in 38/357 and I know how much fun it is to shoot with limited recoil. Its hard to explain the how or why-- its just lotsa fun to play with the pistol cal's in lever guns!

Do you guys think these guns would be any good on coyotes? I never thought about it until just now and realized that might be alot of fun also. I know Ive tried plinking on all kinds of targets (2 liter bottles, various cans & metal objects), but never considered hunting with it. Any experiences with lever guns and smaller calibers?? anyone?

frank c.
01-10-2007, 08:33 AM
A buddy of mine used to love his 32h&r, but I think his was in a revolver... its been a long time ago. At the time, I was young and couldnt see the attraction (all I understood was 'bigger is better') so I just remember being tired of hearing about it. Now I think I understand a bit better about the lure of the minimal recoil and fun factor.
I was just going to say I ran into a Rossi lever gun in 38/357 and I know how much fun it is to shoot with limited recoil. Its hard to explain the how or why-- its just lotsa fun to play with the pistol cal's in lever guns!

Do you guys think these guns would be any good on coyotes? I never thought about it until just now and realized that might be alot of fun also. I know Ive tried plinking on all kinds of targets (2 liter bottles, various cans & metal objects), but never considered hunting with it. Any experiences with lever guns and smaller calibers?? anyone?I wanted to add I also have the ruger sp101 revolver in 32 H&R mag,more for the wife for home protection,with that said I have not tryed the 32 mag yet on yotes.I am sure it would be affective out to 100-125 yards.I also enjoy shooting my 22 hornets,as mentioned low recoil and fun to shoot.:D

akita
01-12-2007, 03:32 AM
I have had a couple .32 mag revolvers, they are probably one of most usefull cartridges out there and we shooters are about to let it slip into obsolesence. They are wonderfully accurate, mild of recoil, yet very effective on small game. I have never had a chance to harvest a coyote, but believe it would be effective @ moderate ranges. I have shot severall "snared" coyotes w/ mild .38 specials and could not believe how quickly it dispatched them. Honestly, it seemed to shut them down faster than those that I shot w/ the .22-250. If you can get your hands on a .32 mag revolver, do yourself a favor and buy it, you will never regret it. I would think that "out of a carbine", the lil' .32 would be a legitimate 125 yd. coyote slayer. IMHO, Russ

Ron in Mn
01-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Don't forget the other 32 shorty the 32-20. Have to load them down for the 85 year old Colt but the bullet still moves out at pretty good clip. I didn't know that Marlin chambered a lever gun in 32 mag. That is neat.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/464761.jpg

Bill in Florida
01-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I have a Ruger Single Six and a Taurus Model 76, both in 32 H&R Mag. Really enjoy them. Easy to shoot, accurate, and efficient.

AceBall
01-13-2007, 07:25 PM
..a couple different length barrels, maybe a 4" and 6" and 8". I have a Ruger convertible now and it's the funnest revolver to shoot. What a pussy cat, can shoot all day long and never get enough. Anbody know if Taurus is planning to introduce a longer barrel version of their 32?

Hogchaser
01-13-2007, 08:12 PM
I had a Smith&Wesson model 16 with a 6" barrel, bueatiful gun, very accurate, got stupid and sold it when a good offer came around.
________
EN450A (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_EN450A)

akita
01-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Hogchaser, I just sold a M16 6" w/ a "non-full underlug" barrel (you can see a pic in an earlier post) , I will probably regret that forever. Wish Smith would bring those guns back into production!! I am trying to come-up w/ some money for a down payment, looking to build a log home, otherwise that would not have gotten sold. I had a Ruger SSM, it too, was an exceptional revolver. Russ

Hogchaser
01-13-2007, 10:16 PM
The gun that I had was with the full underlug barrel, very very accurate with Federal factory loads, didnt even load for it and it still shot like a house on fire, oh well you live and learn.
________
roor bong pictures (http://roorbongs.org)