How to Disassemble Bolt on Savage 11 223 [Archive] - Varmints Den

: How to Disassemble Bolt on Savage 11 223

597newbie
09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
If this is off topic I apologize....

My Savage 11 owner's manual says to NOT disassemble the bolt. I have been working on Mauser's and Mosin's for about a year and have been taking apart bolts to clean out the cosmoline.

1. Is it ok to take apart these bolts?

2. Is the Savage 11 the same as the Savage 10 or 110? What are the differences.

3. Does anybody have instructions on how to take apart bolts? I always try to search the web first but have been unable to find anything on this.

Savage 11 11FXP3 Hunter.223 Remington with Scope
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/78504
New In Box. Part Number:17667

BillPa
09-02-2008, 11:17 PM
If this is off topic I apologize....

My Savage 11 owner's manual says to NOT disassemble the bolt. I have been working on Mauser's and Mosin's for about a year and have been taking apart bolts to clean out the cosmoline.

3. Does anybody have instructions on how to take apart bolts? I always try to search the web first but have been unable to find anything on this.

Savage 11 11FXP3 Hunter.223 Remington with Scope
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/78504
New In Box. Part Number:17667

Yes, I have taken apart and setup more than a few.

Here is the bolt assembly with the parts in their position.
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/BillPa10/Guns/BoltParts2.jpg

All you need is a 1/4" allen wrench. They are a bit "snug" from the factory, so the easiest way, lay the bolt on the a bench, floor or whatever with the allen wrench at about a 45* angle the push down or step on the allen. I generally clamp the bolt in a vise and use a 3/8" drive ratchet with a allen socket.

Once you get past that hurdle, simply slide the cocking piece sleeve to the rear, remove the cocking piece pin then the firing pin assembly. Push the bolthead sightly rearward into the bolt body to compress the spring washer, push the retaining pin out then remove the bolthead, spring washer and front baffle.
Once you see how it comes apart and goes back together, its about a 10 second job.

BTW...set the firing pin protrusion to .035"-.040" and the cocking piece pin stop position for about .005" clearance at the bottom of the cocking ramp with the firing pin fully forward.

No they are not the same lengths. Basically the length of the bolt body,firing pin and the bolthead, LA has thicker lugs than the SAs. The early actions, referred to as the "J", are a different length midway between the present 1x-11x actions.

Bill

597newbie
09-03-2008, 01:23 AM
thanks!

I will copy to my email and go with it!

Markbo
09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
If I were going to change barrels/calibers and needed to change the bolt head too, where would I get one? Would it need to be lapped in or do they normally fit pretty good right away?

remmo
09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I got a bolt head from Brownells but be aware that the bare bolt herad is not enough. You need the extractor and ejector pin as well as the springs and pins to hold them in to assemble a complete bolt head. I think Sharpshooter supplies the complete head assembly.

BillPa
09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
If I were going to change barrels/calibers and needed to change the bolt head too, where would I get one? Would it need to be lapped in or do they normally fit pretty good right away?

You can get bolt heads from Midway and Sharp Shooter Supply. If your ordering from SSS, tell Lisa you want a complete bolt head.

Generally speaking, they are good to go as is, just depends how good you want it.

Swapping the extractors and ejectors is easy for me, I've done quite a few, but you may want to buy the extra parts for a complete assembly or a complete one till you get some practice. BTW, if your going from a .473" to a .378 or visa versa, the extractors are a different length. Make sure you get the correct one. All the other "stuff" is the same.

Bill

597newbie
09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
BTW...set the firing pin protrusion to .035"-.040" and the cocking piece pin stop position for about .005" clearance at the bottom of the cocking ramp with the firing pin fully forward.
Bill

I need to clarify the above quote.

Do I need to set this manually or will these measurements come together when I reassemble the bolt.

I have taken apart Mauser and Mosin bolts and just put back together without having to measure firing pin protusion.

I am only taking the bolt apart for the sake of taking it apart and learning the parts. If there are any things that could possible happen that would jack something up I want to avoid that right now. This is the first firearm I have ever had where it is easy and fun to hit the area I am shooting at.

BillPa
09-04-2008, 12:56 AM
I need to clarify the above quote.

Do I need to set this manually or will these measurements come together when I reassemble the bolt.

I have taken apart Mauser and Mosin bolts and just put back together without having to measure firing pin protusion.

I am only taking the bolt apart for the sake of taking it apart and learning the parts. If there are any things that could possible happen that would jack something up I want to avoid that right now. This is the first firearm I have ever had where it is easy and fun to hit the area I am shooting at.

The firing pin protrusion and cocking piece are adjustable on a Savage. Referring back to the picture you'll see the "pin stop/adjustment nut" and "Cocking piece". The pin adjustment is used to adjust how far the tip of the pin protrudes out of the bolt face. The cocking piece is adjusted to ensure the firing pin spring is fully compressed and the pin withdrawn it's full length when cocked. Together they are used to match the firing pin assembly length and pin fall length to the bolt body- bolt head being used. Since they're production parts, small dimensions may and do vary somewhat the same as any other production action, its the design to easily compensate and correct for those variations.

Bill