What month is best/worst for calling coyotes.. [Archive] - Varmints Den

: What month is best/worst for calling coyotes..

6 BR
02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
In the midwest. I've gotten a lot of different opinions. So how about some more!!!:o ......Mike

Jim in Idaho
02-16-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm in Idaho, and for me the best month is either October or November, as the cold starts to drive the coyote response to calling. The toughest month is probably January, as the easy coyotes have been killed, and the survivors have smartened-up, and also the rut starts to impact coyote response to calling.
Jim

DAA
02-16-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm in Utah, and only hunt coyotes from about the first of Oct. through then end of Feb. or so. The hunting is always best when I start in Oct. and always hardest by the time I quit in Feb.

I think it is simply how much calling pressure the coyotes see in all the areas I hunt. As the season goes on, there are fewer and fewer coyotes (as they get killed) and the ones left get smarter and smarter as they hear more and more callers. At the start of the season in Oct., getting five or more in one day is not uncommon. By the end of my season in Feb., getting two in one day is doing pretty darn good.

- DAA

WDSWIFT
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Best times are from mid to end of May and peaks out in early to mid October with August to September being the best. Worst has got to be late December & January.

My opinion on this is that the family unit members are out gathering all the food they can get to take back to the pups in the den in June-September (and the pups eat bunches of food), by October they're pretty much self sufficient, and about that time deer season kicks in and there are plenty of gut piles and road kills for them to eat and they aren't called in as easily then. Not to mention more human traffic in the woods. Just my humble opinion. WD

Brian in Oregon
02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, not the midwest, but here in Oregon I find late summer up to the start of deer season is best for the young dumb ones that have just been kicked out of the den. They get educated real quick by frustrated deer hunters.

And around January to February, depending on winter conditions. While many have smartened up, harsh conditions can reduce the food supply, and a growling stomach can cause some coyotes to lose their inhibitions. Also there aren't many hunters out this time of year, so the hunting pressure is lessened.

udiablo
02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Here it's a pain trying to hunt during Oct and Nov, due to all the other humans tromping around (deer and bird hunters).

So I'm limited to Dec and Jan.

By Feb the coyotes are starting to pair up (the sign to stop hunting and raise a new crop for next year).