Most expolsive varmint bullet? [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Most expolsive varmint bullet?

doubledown
12-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm new here so I figured I start with a question. I shoot a .220 Swift and want to know what is the most destructive .22 bullet. Some of my friends swear by the Blitzkings, some the Nosler ballistic tips. I dont hear much about the V-max. It has to hold up to 4000 fps ++ . I'm shooting Berger 40 grain MEF's and while very accurate they dont do a whole lot of damage.

If this has been beat to death already, sorry in advance.

Thanks DD

Ljay
12-26-2009, 06:13 PM
My vote is for the nosler or the V-Max plastic tips, Its been many years since i have used anything else, V-Max is Hornadays copy of the ballistic tip Nosler was the first, I now use Hornadays due to the cheaper price 40-50-55grn is all I use for .22,s I have compared the two in 55grn, on paper and on vermin, I really cant tell a difference, Some of the othe thin skined bullets you can not shoot past 3200FPS. The Nosler or the V-Max has no restriction as I know of, The most destructive bullet i have ever used is the 70grn ballistic tip in 6mm.:eek:

As always your millage may vary

WDSWIFT
12-26-2009, 06:46 PM
It's a toss up between the NBT and the Vmax. I use the 50 grainers to fit the barrel twist and muzzle velocity is right at 4000fps. Never had one of those bullets explode in the 12 years I've owned this Swift. Accuracy is just fine for shooting Pdogs, Crows, Chucks and yotes. :)

I shot a fair number of 'chucks & a few yotes this past year with it and had no pass throughs on the yotes and very few pass throughs on the full grown chucks. With the young 'chucks..... it is GRAPHIC and not for the fait of heart. :eek:

Welcome to the best varmint & predator site on the net BY FAR. :) WD

Greyfox
12-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I gotta agree with WD. Both the NBT & VM are violent. I tend to use the VM more because they are usually cheaper and I can't tell much difference in accuracy. I've shot a ton of .224 in 222 Rem Mag, 223, 222, 223AI, 22-250 etc.

My preference has become to use the lighter bullets in almost every case. Speed seems to enhance the explosive characteristics. A hit on a fat prairie dog @ 75 yds with a 40gr VM traveling close to 4000FPS is impressive.
Pups just eveporate. I don't recall ever having one disintegrate. (the bullet, that is:) )

Rick

lamm1
12-26-2009, 08:26 PM
At 4000fps+ any HP bullet is gonna be destructive- or should be anyways. The Swift I had built last summer won't shoot anything under 50gr. very well at all. I had some Speer 50gr. TNT's come apart at warp speed- not all of them I loaded, but when I backed off on the charge they weren't as accurate- go figure- they are pretty gruesome in my .224wby. If your gun will shoot the Vmax's well, they should give you all the gore you want- my Swift doesn't like them. Alot of guys rave about the Barnes VG's too, but like all things Barnes they are spendy. You said you've got friends that like Noslers and Sierra BK's- maybe you can get a handful of each from them and see which one your rifle likes better before you go buy a whole box.

I've been shooting the 62 and 64gr. Berger's- (I've shot several 3/4" groups at 200yds), but they aren't real high on the splat factor- but I'm shooting them at coyotes with the intention of keeping the fur intact.

cpttango30
12-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Here is what a 50gr V-max from a 223 rem does to a ground hog.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/Shooting/SD530003.jpg

AVanGorder
12-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I launch 40 grain VMax out of my 223AI at 4100 FPS. It creates some major drama on a prairie dog.

Adrian

Coyote Duster
12-27-2009, 01:04 PM
A 55 grain V-Max in my experience seams to do the most damage on Praire Dogs. I have never done a comparision of bullet distructiveness on anything else. I should mention that all of my testing was done with a 22-250.

Larry D Scott
12-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I shoot 40gr Vmaxs @39-- with good accuracy out of 4 rifles, and have shot a few 50gr TNTs in one rifle, pushing them also at about 39-- they grouped well and didnt come apart. Larry in western Ky.

Rick in Oregon
12-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Double: I agree with the others; if you want red mist, not much difference in performance with the poly-tipped bullets from both Nosler and Hornady. Just find out which one your rifle prefers and go for it.

I shoot both in 21 different varmint rifles from .17 to 6mm, some prefer Nosler, some the Hornady, but all give very graphic, explosive results.

Here's the result of a Nosler 50gr BT at 3,700 fps from my Rem custom .223 Ackley at 326 yards on an Oregon ground squirrel. He launched a full 15' into the air, guts in one direction, body in the other, twisting in flight, landing right on top of his mound. I can't imagine needing "more" destruction.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/packrat1/DSC_0043-1.jpg

'Nuff said?

Samson
12-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I shoot 50gr V-max's out of a 1-12 twist Shilen , chambered in 22-250 AI and it'll run them at 4200fps and the explosion factor is awsome.

I'm planning to build a 6mmBR specificly to shoot the 58-65gr Vmaxes as a varmit round to 400yds

sundance
12-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Ditto to what Adrian said.I have 2 223 ackleys.40 grain moly Vmax at 4100 fps.Most dogs are only found in pieces.The Vmax shoots slightly better in my rifles than the ballistic tips.A little more explosive also I think.
Marty

cpttango30
12-27-2009, 11:50 PM
V-maxes shoot better than the A-max or SMK.

That is all I have loaded for my 223 right now.

Brian in Oregon
12-28-2009, 04:12 AM
I've found the Speer 55gr TNT to be just as explosive as the fancier bullets in a 223 and 22-250.

My 22-250 has a 28" barrel and a 1:14" twist, so while I'm wringing out extra velocity (about 200 fps more than a 24" barrel) the bullet is apparently not being subject to excessive RPM because they're not blowing up. I don't know how well they'll do out of a Swift.

QuickRick
12-28-2009, 05:15 PM
DD / As many have said, at Swift velocities most expanding bullets will give you impressive results. I am just starting to play with V-Max and NBT bullets so I can't offer you field experience with those products. One bullet which I'm sure would hold up at Swift velocities while providing explosive performance is the plain jane Speer 52 grn HP. This bullet has always provided me with positive blow up and excellent accuracy in every rifle I've tried it with. It is also available in the Speer 1,000 count value packs at substantial savings.

doubledown
12-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I just wasnt happy with the Bergers, I hit my last coyote perfect at 26 yards with a 40 grain berger leaving the muzzle at 4600 fps and it still ran 50 yards, and only left a quarter size exit hole!

I don't save the fur so I needed some advice on a good bang flop bullet and I definately got it, thanks DD

Greyfox
12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
DD,
For me, that sort of thing depends more on where you hit them, than with what. Folks make a big deal of using a larger caliber, bullet, whatever to hunt deer because they don't drop immediately. The simple fact is, no matter what you shoot, if you don't hit a vital spot or large bone, there's a good chance they will go a ways before they drop. I've seen deer go 200 yards with no heart or lungs.

Since, you don't care how big the hole is, you might want to go for a shoulder shot. I go for the neck with deer, but a coyote is a lot smaller target. For dropping coyotes, the VMax might not be your best choice.
A game bullet like a SGK or a Barnes might be a better choice.

YMMV,
Rick

Ljay
12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I just wasnt happy with the Bergers, I hit my last coyote perfect at 26 yards with a 40 grain berger leaving the muzzle at 4600 fps and it still ran 50 yards, and only left a quarter size exit hole!

Thats not necessarily a bad performing bullet, The next yote you may hit with the same bullet @100yds may leave a fist size hole and you desired results, I have hit yotes with a 6mm Rem @40yrds and left a pencil size hole on both sides with the famous 70grn Nosler BT, Then a month later tear the hole side out of one @150yrds, with the same bullet, Go figure, its not a precise science:confused:

joez
12-28-2009, 09:03 PM
A 40gr Nosler BT from a 222 will all but cut a groundhog in half. I have also shot James Calhoon bullets, they make an ugly mess too!
Joe

Oleman
12-28-2009, 09:34 PM
I look for both cost effectiveness and performance. Here's MidSouths 34 Gr. Varmint Extreme out of my TAC 20.

MV only 3909 fps.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/Oleman_photos/PicturesA42209121.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/Oleman_photos/PicturesA42209125.jpg

GP
12-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Love it.

Bear57
12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
The only one that I have used is the V-max and it does an outstanding job on pararie dogs.

cpttango30
12-30-2009, 06:55 AM
If you want bang flop get yourself a gun like VSSF uses that 338 Edge I bet will give you some Dog be gone and beyond explosive action on yotes, deer and many other animals.

Hogchaser
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I have had pretty explosive results with the Hornady 50gr SX bullet when shot out of a 222 or 223.

doubledown
12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
If you want bang flop get yourself a gun like VSSF uses that 338 Edge I bet will give you some Dog be gone and beyond explosive action on yotes, deer and many other animals.

I did'nt want to admit it, but I have made more than a few stands with my RSM 77 in .458 Lott with 350 grain hornady flattips @ 2800 fps. I never saw a coyote, but it would have been interesting!

TinMan
12-31-2009, 07:27 AM
There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago that showed pictures of a coyote shot with a 375 H&H and I think 270gr SP's. Very impressive.

cpttango30
12-31-2009, 06:17 PM
I did'nt want to admit it, but I have made more than a few stands with my RSM 77 in .458 Lott with 350 grain hornady flattips @ 2800 fps. I never saw a coyote, but it would have been interesting!

VSSF Brother shot a GH with his Lott. That sure did make a darn mess.

Alycidon
01-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I did side by side comparisons in .22 and 6mm at around 3300 fps and Vmax made better (bigger!!) exit wound than NBTs that just seemed to punch straight through foxes with little expansion. The NBTs were 55s, the V,ax 65s though, powder loads were the same. On rabbits etc they both make a good mess

I have tried vmax in a 20BR (1 in 9) and above 3600 they are seeming to break up in flight due to the twist rate. I have just obtained some SBKs but have yet to load and try them. So the jury is still out on them till the spring.

A

Fuzz
01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Lighter NBT & VM exhibit violent terminal energy transfer! I use the heaver GK for Ferals, Curs and Coyotes, as a couple have walked away after being hit by the lighter bullets, Walking Dead, yet walking, not far with their entrails dragging or on 3 legs, yet walking!

AVanGorder
01-01-2010, 11:58 PM
...I have tried vmax in a 20BR (1 in 9) and above 3600 they are seeming to break up in flight due to the twist rate. I have just obtained some SBKs but have yet to load and try them. So the jury is still out on them till the spring.

A

What size bullet are you shooting in the 20BR?

Adrian

Oleman
01-02-2010, 01:33 AM
I did side by side comparisons in .22 and 6mm at around 3300 fps and Vmax made better (bigger!!) exit wound than NBTs that just seemed to punch straight through foxes with little expansion. The NBTs were 55s, the V,ax 65s though, powder loads were the same. On rabbits etc they both make a good mess

I have tried vmax in a 20BR (1 in 9) and above 3600 they are seeming to break up in flight due to the twist rate. I have just obtained some SBKs but have yet to load and try them. So the jury is still out on them till the spring.

A

I have a TAC 20 the shoots 32 Gr Sierra's at 4194 fps into the 1's it has a 1 in 9 twist?????

WestDivide
01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
OK, I understand the explosive issue, and get some good air time with VMax's and some Calhoons. Does anyone have any comments or knowledge of which bullets are least prone to ricochets? ie, the bullet explodes in the dirt rather than bouncing off and traveling another 500 yds?

I know nothing is totally ricochet proof, but was curious as to limited potential for populated, built up areas or around livestock?

I'm pretty careful, but don't see much data on this.
-West

Mortimer250
01-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Both the NBT and Hornady vmax shoot good out of my .22-250. Max loads on the vmax out of my 250 produce some great groups and devistating results on VA groundhogs.

eneranch
01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
OK, I understand the explosive issue, and get some good air time with VMax's and some Calhoons. Does anyone have any comments or knowledge of which bullets are least prone to ricochets? ie, the bullet explodes in the dirt rather than bouncing off and traveling another 500 yds?

I know nothing is totally ricochet proof, but was curious as to limited potential for populated, built up areas or around livestock?

I'm pretty careful, but don't see much data on this.
-West

Barnes Varmint Grenades; shot quite a few in .223 and can't say I've ever had a ricochet. :)

doubledown
01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
This is not scientific but... I bought a box of 40 grain V-Max's and a box of 40 grain Blitzkings, my buddy gave me some 40 grain Nosler BT's and i had Berger 40 grain mef's.

I loaded them to almost the same velocity, between 4450 and 4500fps. I had two stacks of wet news print.(I had to work fast as it was 10 degrees out) The first shot was the berger it went through both stacks 10" and exited with a 3/4" hole not impressive.

The NBT and V-max only penetrated 6" and left 1 1/2 hole bullets disintegrated.

The Blitzking penetrated 5" and left a 2" crater!

tsiero
01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Look Here: www.extremeshockusa.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_USFY45xs. The drop dead right now and no exit.

Buckeye Special
01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
The question here is all wrong...you should be seeking efficiency and accuracy, not maximum damage. Think about it...hunting is not about the gore factor.

If you primarily use the most destructive bullet, it is NOT the right bullet for EVERY kill, let alone a clean kill, e.g. at extended ranges, when the wind is blowing, when a less than ideal shot is presented and you have to take it ( cause you have already spent 3 weeks trying to get any shot at the groundhog raiding the garden and now he is out but behind some raspberry bushes).

That said, the 2 best all around .224 varmint bullets (as used in the .222,
.223, and 22/250) are the 40 gr. Sierra HP and the 52 gr. Speer HP. Another is the Hornady 50 gr. SX (.222 and .223 medium velocity only)

The Vmax and Ballistic Tips are OK, but sometimes they splash on close shots and they cost way more than they accomplish comapred to the three I have named.

ziggy222
01-27-2010, 06:58 PM
different guns will shoot different bullets more accurate than others.my browning shot 50gr remington hp bulk bullets best and blows up well,then nosler,then hornady.my ruger no.1 was junk and did bad with everything,my savage likes 50gr nosler custom competition and they blow up great,then nosler ballistic tip which leaves a pin hole going in,liquifies the inside and the base of the bullets leaves a pinhole going out.funny my browning liked those remington bullts cause they were'nt even close to alll weighing the same.i know its best to use the heaviest bullet for distance,but these guns have a twist for 50 grain bullets,most of them.

Kyote
02-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm new here so I figured I start with a question. I shoot a .220 Swift and want to know what is the most destructive .22 bullet. Some of my friends swear by the Blitzkings, some the Nosler ballistic tips. I dont hear much about the V-max. It has to hold up to 4000 fps ++ . I'm shooting Berger 40 grain MEF's and while very accurate they dont do a whole lot of damage.

If this has been beat to death already, sorry in advance.

Thanks DD

you may want to try this bullet by barnes. Varmint Grenade Lead-free Varmint Grenade bullets feature a highly frangible, copper-tin composite core. Remain intact at ultra-high velocities, yet fragments explosively on impact. They virtually vaporize ground squirrels and prairie dogs, while leaving valuable coyote and bobcat pelts intact. Sniper-like accuracy for dependable long-range kills.