Peppermint Oil vs. Rodents........ update [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Peppermint Oil vs. Rodents........ update

Gary in NH
02-08-2007, 09:47 PM
For those interested, a few of my co-workers and myself have been using peppermint oil to rid our homes, sheds, barns and vehicles of rodents for the past 4-8 weeks. All of us used simular techniques by putting 3-5 drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls and placed them where we thought the critters were. We are 100% in agreement that the peppermint oil has worked and our places are rodent free! The oil was used to get rid of mice, rats, chipmunks and squirrels...... it worked on all of them equally well. If you want more info on this method feel free to post here and I will try to answer your questions.

gonedawgn
02-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Did you try it on Gophers? And where did you get it and what type of oil.

Paul Workman
02-09-2007, 02:02 AM
For those interested, a few of my co-workers and myself have been using peppermint oil to rid our homes, sheds, barns and vehicles of rodents for the past 4-8 weeks. All of us used simular techniques by putting 3-5 drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls and placed them where we thought the critters were. We are 100% in agreement that the peppermint oil has worked and our places are rodent free! The oil was used to get rid of mice, rats, chipmunks and squirrels...... it worked on all of them equally well. If you want more info on this method feel free to post here and I will try to answer your questions.

Interesting!http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/yesnod.gif

This was a topic - the peppermint oil - on the Corvette Forum last fall as well. I have had good luck with dryer sheets, but I can't say they're 100% effective - maybe 99%. However, once in a while I'll still see signs of a mouse or two. So, I augment the effort with this stuff called "One Bite" I get at the local farm supply story. (It makes Decon look like candy).

My two questions...

How do you know it is 100%:confused:

Where can I get some to try???:)

P.

Gary in NH
02-09-2007, 07:21 AM
We have not tried it on gophers but from what we have been told by others who have used the oil is that is should work on all animals in the rodent family. Peppermint oil is also called Essential Oils. It has to be pure peppermint oil and not an extract. The pure stuff will burn your eyes and if left on your skin long enough as a full strength oil it will give you minor burns there also. I did a search online to find the best price, some places charge $12-15 per ounce and doesn't include shipping. I will look for the website and post it here tonight when I have more time..... I found a place to get four ounces for under $20 including shipping.

As for 100% effective, I guess that is more of an individuals observance of how effective it is. Two of my friends lived next to a house that was torn down, this house had hundreds if not thousands of rats in it which took up residence in their homes and garages. After using the oil for just a week all signs of the rats have disappeared. Every one else that tried the oil also found no evidence of their rodents still being on site. I used to have chipmunks and could see their tracks in my basement where I still have a dirt floor, so far no new tracks and I do not hear them any more.

Squeeze
02-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Gary,

I have a hunting cabin, that is the perfect test bed! I have Red squirrels,
Chipmunks, and a herd of mice, in several varieties. I need PEPPERMINT OIL!

Thanks for the info, and I am looking forward to the posting of a supplier.

Squeeze

ThJudg
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Here's the link: http://www.bestdeal.org/essential-camden/pepperm-4.html

I'm going to order some today.

ThJudg (Roger)

Gary in NH
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
This is where I purchased my oil, I found they had the best prices and the lowest shipping costs. Other places may also be found that have better or comparable prices.

https://www.webvitamins.com/default.aspx

WebVitamins.com

I purchased the 4oz bottle from NOW Foods.

Gary in NH
02-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Gary,

I have a hunting cabin, that is the perfect test bed! I have Red squirrels,
Chipmunks, and a herd of mice, in several varieties. I need PEPPERMINT OIL!

Thanks for the info, and I am looking forward to the posting of a supplier.

Squeeze

Squeeze, sounds like your cabin would be the perfect testing area. Let us know what your results are.

ThJudg
02-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Gary, they are cheaper on their shipping than the site I posted.

ThJudg (Roger)

Jerry Lester
02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Just a thought here.

If "pure" peppermint oil works, then shouldn't actual peppermint also work? Here in VA you can find both spearmint, and peppermint growing wild(thick too) on most any spring fed stream bank. You can also grow it in a flower bed real easy right at your house.

If it works, it'd be better than paying the high price of the oil. I figure crushing the fresh plants, and placing them like you said should give the same(or maybe better) results?

Gary in NH
02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Just a thought here.

If "pure" peppermint oil works, then shouldn't actual peppermint also work? Here in VA you can find both spearmint, and peppermint growing wild(thick too) on most any spring fed stream bank. You can also grow it in a flower bed real easy right at your house.

If it works, it'd be better than paying the high price of the oil. I figure crushing the fresh plants, and placing them like you said should give the same(or maybe better) results?

Jerry. In our so called "research" we did find that peppermint and other "mint" plants do work to some extent. So a little help is better than none at all. I think the oil is much more concentrated which makes it so effective. This said, my wife is planning on planting some peppermint in her flower beds around the house.

Tack25
02-10-2007, 02:55 AM
a few plants would help around the flower beds or base of the house, but I can see a refined oil being more potent.

I dont doutb that it works and wouldnt mind trying it myself (occasionally the field mice take over my garage in the winters). I have no personal experience with it, but it seems very possible to me-- I would expect rodents to have a better sense of smell than us and be more susceptible to a powerful scent. Now that said, I also thought it was a funny ad/desciption on the website selling it.... am I the only one that thought it sounded like they were selling snake oil?? I stopped about half way through it, but I was just waiting to read it "cures all ailments...." :p

Jerry Lester
02-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Jerry. In our so called "research" we did find that peppermint and other "mint" plants do work to some extent. So a little help is better than none at all. I think the oil is much more concentrated which makes it so effective. This said, my wife is planning on planting some peppermint in her flower beds around the house.

Tell her to plant it sort of not in direct sunlight, like close to other higher growing plants, and to water it pretty regularly.

You might be surprized at just how potent an actual peppermint plant is. You can take it, and roll the leaves real hard between your hands, and if you sniff it, it'll burn your eyes. Spearmint on the other hand is a lot milder, and more pleasant to the senses, so I doubt it'd be much effect on rodents.

clark22d
02-10-2007, 11:38 PM
My mom used to bring back a couple of arm loads. to make tea out of, to Alaska every summer on her visits to see her folks in Washington State.
As you can imagine what that "looked" like to the customs folks at the Canadian border crossing!
It always got down to "smelling" the product in order to continue...! Ha!

Bill in Florida
02-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Does the oil have any negative effect on pets in the household? I have a squirrel and possum (very large rodent) problem, but also have dogs and cats, which you would think should solve my rodent issue, but doesn't.

Bear
02-11-2007, 02:38 AM
but we used to use straight peppermint oil as a penetrating oil to loosen rusted nuts on the cylinders on our radial (round) aircraft engines on the Thunderpigs and Albatross seaplanes. Badass penetrating oil, just don`t rub yer eyes after it`s on your hands.

OregonBoy
02-11-2007, 02:43 AM
so, really what you guys are saying is that the 10,000 gallon tank of peppermint oil at my g/f's parent's house is worth a lot of money to you...4 ounces for $20? Shoot, her dad won't ever know I took a 50 gallon drum. ;)

BTW, the good stuff comes staight outta the lines at the still. :)

T.D.C.
02-11-2007, 10:49 AM
If you plan to plant any of the mint family in gardens you may want to consider putting a plastic or metal ring like an old barrel hoop in the ground to contain it. Most of the mint species are very invasive and will take over a garden in a big hurry.

Gary in NH
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Does the oil have any negative effect on pets in the household? I have a squirrel and possum (very large rodent) problem, but also have dogs and cats, which you would think should solve my rodent issue, but doesn't.

Bill. Some people we talked to said that pets will stay away from the oil, others said that they will get into it. What we did was to make sure that our oil was put where our pets didn't have access to it. Due to how it affected us while using it I would not put it where pets can get to it........