Sako worth the extra bucks??? [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Sako worth the extra bucks???

bluehen1987
07-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I have been looking at 222 rifles and I come across some Sako's and Remington 722's. I know that cosmetically, the Sako wins hands down. But, I have heard many rave about the accuracy of both guns. I see a lot of Sako's around a grand and the 722's at half that in excellent condition. From a purely shooting perspective (not collector interest), is it worth it to spend twice as much on the Sako? I have also heard some believe the Sako is somewhat heavy. Thanks!

TinMan
07-25-2010, 03:45 PM
If you have the money, you will never regret getting the SAKO, if you are talking about an L461 or an AI. I drooled over an AI in 223 a couple of years ago, balking for a couple of months at the price. Finally decided to get. It is a walking sporter, not a Varmint, and it is an awesome shooter. I had some 50Blitz loaded up with AA2200 for another 223 rifle, and first time to the range it shot under 0.5 MOA using another rifle's loads. Also, if you don't abuse the rifle, it will probably appreciate in value faster than the 722 if you ever would want to sell it.

C Miller
07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
I guess that's a new one on me, my lightest sporters are L461's or A1's, especially compared with anything Remington Comparing a Sako L461 to a Rem 722 is not really an apples to apples comparison. If cost is your driving concern I would get the Rem, resale or collectability get the Sako. They both can be very accurate, more aftermarket stuff for the Rem especially in the parts department. Sako anything can be pretty expensive.

Jim A
07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
The Sako has a much better barrel from the factory. And the workmanship is second to none on the Sako.
But what do you plan to use the rifle for? If you plan to use and abuse the rifle hunting a lot the Rem may fit your needs better. It is as you say half the cost. If cost is not a concern, the Sako would be the better choice. Just my 2 cents.

Larry L
07-25-2010, 08:20 PM
I kinda have one of each for a direct comparison for you. I say kinda because neither of mine are typical. The Sako has the L461 action but it came out of the Sako Custom shop many years ago. It sports a very fine English Walnut mannlicher style stock with a machined into the action scope mount that makes the scope removable and replaced without having to resight the scope. I remember the name being a Bearclaw mount. The Remington suffered from a hunter falling out of the back of the truck and landing on it. The stock is now a Fajen and the trigger group worked over by a local smitty. Both shoot fairly reasonable 3/4" groups with handloads. The Sako wears a 2-7 scope and the Remington has a 6 power. The Sako is far too pretty for me to carry but it's fun to fondle. The Remington with 50 gr Remington HPs is deadly to about 200 yds on coyote sized animals. The bullet at that distance will pass thru but the wound channel is not big if that has importance to you. My recommendation is to find the rifle you feel most comfy with having in the truck and walking with regardless of weather. If you'd stay in the truck in iffy weather because you wouldn't want to get the higher dollar Sako wet, then get something cheaper. if you want to sit in the truck and fondle a prize weapon, get the Sako. I don't see either one as a bad choice accuracy wise.

bluehen1987
07-25-2010, 10:23 PM
That's it! I'll just have to get one of each!!:) With the sako, is the varmint heavy barrel too heavy to tote around all day?

bluehen1987
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Basic difference between Riihimaki and the AI?

C Miller
07-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Basic differences are the Riihimaki or L46 is a clip fed rifle with the safety mounted on the rear of the bolt. Bottom metal obviously will be different compared to the internal magazine of the newer l461 and then the A1 and they have a trigger mounted safety. The L461 and AI are pretty much the same rifle with the AI having a slanted cocking shroud. Early A1's have the L461 style stock with hard buttplate, newer A1 versions have a rubber pad with more of an oil finish on the stock. There are some minor differences related to importers and it's not uncommon to find models with characteristics that cross model designations as the Finns didn't throw anything away. Not uncommon to find A1's with L461 hangtags and boxes, etc, but these are the main differences in a L46, L461, and a A1. The Sako Varmint is actually pretty easy to carry, barrel is only 23.5" long and not a real heavy contour compared to most Varmint barrels.

Jim A
07-26-2010, 08:48 AM
It would be for me. My Sako is a heavy barrel Varmint model. I am on the other side of 50 and like something a little lighter to carry. I carried a heavy barreled VLS Remington with a bipod, sling and 50mm scope for years.
I picked up a Tikka T3 Lite one day and and have used it as my carry rifle ever since. Light, easy to carry and great accuracy.
If you are not dead set on a .222 the Tikka in .223 might be an alternative.

Ackman
07-26-2010, 02:07 PM
I have been looking at 222 rifles and I come across some Sako's and Remington 722's. I know that cosmetically, the Sako wins hands down. But, I have heard many rave about the accuracy of both guns. I see a lot of Sako's around a grand and the 722's at half that in excellent condition. From a purely shooting perspective (not collector interest), is it worth it to spend twice as much on the Sako? I have also heard some believe the Sako is somewhat heavy. Thanks!

From a purely shooting perspective.....no. The Sako may not shoot any better than the Remington and it definitely isn't worth twice as much. Again, that's "from a purely shooting perspective." But the Sako is a much nicer gun, it's in a whole different league from the 722. That small Sako action is slick and smooth and a pleasure to use. The sporter is a perfect light carry rifle.......don't know where anyone gets that "somewhat heavy" stuff. Also, if the 722's you're talking about at half the Sako's price are $500, that's way too much and reflects collector value. I'd never pay that much for one of them. The 722 is a good action but it's just the slightly primitive early version of a 700.....the stock and metal are crude in comparison to a 700. For that kind of money, look around and find a clean used 700. Or buy a new Tikka, which has a beautiful smooth action and the same barrel as on a Sako......Say-ko.

df
07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I have a number of both of them,. All my Sakos are A1s. I really like them for the small stuff, 222, 223, 22PPC 17 Rem and 221 FB.
I also have Rem 700s in several of those cartridges. Both are very accurate.
The Sakos are sexier in my view, but as you have determined, they are pricey. There is a lot more aftermarket accessories for the Rem 700, if you want to do some customizing.
You can't go wrong with either. If you have some extra coin, get the Sako.

bluehen1987
07-26-2010, 11:32 PM
If I come across an old Sako, how easy is it to find accessories like rings and magazines?

C Miller
07-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Rings are everywhere for the small Sakos, including base/ring setups. The dovetail rings fit all the small Sakos L46 on up to the A1's. If your talking mags then your talking about the L46....this is gonna hurt:D Aftermarket 222 mags run about 50.00 plus or minus a few bucks. Original 222 Sako mags beat the stuffing out of a 100.00 bill. No problem, just make sure you don't lose your mag:)

bluehen1987
07-27-2010, 12:32 AM
YIKES!:eek: So much for carrying spare mags around! I have seen some older L46 rifles that could use a reblueing and some TLC and I have come across some A1's ready to go. Pros and cons of older models vs. newer models?

Markbo
07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
...I kinda have one of each for a direct comparison for you. I say kinda because neither of mine are typical. The Sako has the L461 action but it came out of the Sako Custom shop many years ago.....

Hey Larry... do you have pics of these 2 rifles?

C Miller
07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure of what could be considered a pro or con with the L46/L461/A1 rifles. It's more of a personal preference. The older rifles utilize a clip the newer an internal magazine. Some people prefer one over the other. I'm not crazy about the bolt mounted safety, but frankly it's more of a cosmetic thing with me, some people have no problem with it. All of them are difficult to get parts for and when you find them they are expensive. But they're made so well it's pretty rare for them to break. Personally I like the A1 if you lined up all 3 and said pick one. Cleaner lines with the slanted shroud, newer style bottom metal and floorplate release. If I were building something that needed an inline feed magazine I would choose the L46, I own more L461's than the other 2 put together.

papapaul
08-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I had a Sako, douglas premium sporterweight barrel and a Fajen thumbhole stock, .243 win. Fully glass bedded. My gunsmith had built it for somebody and then got stuck with it. I used it to shoot jackrabbits out to 700 yds. One day a fellow was with me and saw this rifle perform, and traded me a tractor for it. I sold the tractor for $1,200. This was in about 1977. That was alot of money.