221 Remington Fireball [Archive] - Varmints Den

: 221 Remington Fireball

Mini Sniper
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Looking for comments on the 221 Remington Fireball cartridge. As things go I got a bug for the cartridge and have been doing some research. Found some 700 Classic rifles on Gun Broker and in talking with CZ they are expecting some 527's in 221 later this year. Any comments or experience with the cartridge would be appreciated. Mainly interested in varmint shooting.

Thanks in advance....MS

UPDATE: Was able to acquire a 700 Classic in near new condition. Off and running.. Thanks for all your imput. How about some pet
loads.

mrmurl
06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a fireball in a 10" octagon Contenter barrel. It is a blast to shoot. I have not shot it much lately, but am planning on shooting it soon.

I would love to have a Contender rifle barrel chambered for the 221, but to many other things keep getting in the way of it. I also need the stock and forarm and the barrel needs to be for an old model Contender.

Good luck in getting a rifle in the Fireball. It would be a great groundhog gun and probably for the ground squirels. I am not sure of the range for PDs. Have fun with it.

TinMan
06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I have a Cooper M21, a CZ 527 and a 10" T/C in 221FB. My favorite loads are 40VMAX or 45gr SP Sierras, with RL-7, AA1680 or AA2200. Rifle velocities are 3200-3300 fps for the 40gr, and the Cooper and the CZ both shoot in the 3's when I am paying attention and trying. If you ever shoot a 221FB in a 10" pistol, you will quickly realize why it was called a "Fireball." It is a great round, get one.

deathwind II
06-22-2011, 12:39 AM
I recently picked up my 3rd one, a (discontinued) Remington LVSF, and it shoots better than the CZ I had (and personally I like it better, mainly because of its stainless action and tad more barrel, which will eventually be replaced with a Shilen); also have a Cooper 38 Phoenix in that cal. Great groundhog round out to 250 yards; terminal performance is excellent on those beasts, as it seems to have just the right speed and energy to expand without pencilling through, regardless of bullet type. Works great in this neck of the woods, where, sadly, urban sprawl is passed off as "progress", and a centerfire round that will go a couple hundred yards plus, then drop rapidly without (relatively) much noise is getting to be the norm, if at all. Some with a little more room to shoot might happier with its bigger brother, the .222. But, as it is, it's an accurate cartridge with a little more sizzle than say, a .22 Hornet; plus it's so danged cute, although varmints on the other end probably don't think so.

Sav-1Shot
06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
...Fun little gun to shoot...does wonders with 40's-50's..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/PT.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/AB.jpg

DuaneinND
06-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Used to have an XP action with a 22"#8 XX Douglas (around .900 at the muzzle) it would shoot into the low 2's, with 50gr bullets around 3100fps- sold it to a customer, one of those I wish I still had. Complete joy to shoot. Was always going to build another------ someday. Maybe next year.

Hippy
06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I am a BIG fan of the Fireball. I had a Contender and killed a BUNCH of Groundhogs with the 50 Gr SX Hornady. One year I killed 171 from 50- 150Yds and never had a exit and most died where they were hit. After years of trying to get a vast array of Hornets to shot I decided that the Fireball might be the ticket. I have a 700 and it shoots 'lit'l Bitty Groups" and it at shoots "Damn Near" anything I put in it less than 1/2" and most 40 gr shoot in the .3's. No recoil low noise and ACCURATE

Nuff Said:rolleyes:

Thanx,

Jim

LanceInOregon
06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I recently picked up my 3rd one, a (discontinued) Remington LVSF, and it shoots better than the CZ I had (and personally I like it better, mainly because of its stainless action and tad more barrel

Glad to see another fan of the 700 LVSF I still cannot fathom why Remington discontinued that great little rifle. I have two of them in larger calibers.

Were you able to find one that was still new in the box?

Brute
06-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Had a 700 Classic that absolutely loved 52 gr Bergers. Not the fastest horse in the barn, but scary accurate and plenty for 250yd g-hogs and crows. Also made a fine rifle for small called pedators like foxes,coons ,and cats. Only negative was load development was very demanding as a little went a long way in the pressure dept. Definitely deserves a place in any varmint/predator hunter's arsenal!

CarlP
06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I picked up a 700 classic a few years back with a sporter barrel on it. I had trouble getting it to shoot less that .750 at 100 yds. Ended up getting a Shilen 221 Fireball from Midway and it instantly became my favorite rifle. Most guys seem to prefer the lighter 40-45 grain bullets but mine seemed to shoot best with 18.5 gr H322 and 52 gr Bullets.

After putting a Jewel trigger, Shilen barrel and HS Precision stock on mine I was really happy with it. I have heard several guys talk about how well the CZ performs right out of the box.

Great little round. No recoil, low noise, good on most any varmint out to 200 and fun to shoot targets with as well. Only drawback to the cartridge is the brass. Currently, it is only available from Remington but don't let that stop you.You'll love it.

deathwind II
06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Glad to see another fan of the 700 LVSF I still cannot fathom why Remington discontinued that great little rifle. I have two of them in larger calibers.

Were you able to find one that was still new in the box?

Yep. Believe it or not it was at a Gander Mtn., a store that I've only been in twice in my life. Was (probably) the same rifle that was there almost two years before; it hadn't moved so I offered them a low price during one of their rare sales and they accepted. (Sometimes inexperienced help works to one's advantage.) The chain might possibly have more.
Remington dropped that LVSF simply because it cost too much to make; considering the build quality - especially compared to what they're making now - the price was too low for much, if any profit. They could have just raised the MSRP and it would still be a bargain. A dealer once told me Rem. made the majority of the LV's in .221 and, when that cal. didn't catch on like they thought it would at the time, they had to eat so many that they dropped the whole line. Don't know how true that is. I also have one in .204, and it'll accurately shoot any ammo of any weight or type bullet and it's a shame all the other LVSF cal.'s suffered the same fate.

Godsdog
06-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it's one of the finest little Varmint Cartridges out there and mine will group 5 shots in one big Bughole at 100 yds using 18.6 grs of T-680 or 21.2 grs of Data 2200 Powder with a 40 gr. Vmax! It makes a perfect Coyote "Fur" Cartridge. Out to 400 yds, it's deadly on Groundsquirrels, Jackrabbits & Crows. It puts the 40 gr. Vmax out at about 3340 fps. I haven't tried the 34 gr. "Varmint Extreme" yet but I'm gonna.

gunnut
06-28-2011, 11:20 PM
I have the lvsf remington as well.I shoot a 33 gr v-max bullets that someone on this board got from hornady somehow.The gun is one of my favorites,,absolute madness on the big jack rabbits we shoot every evening.

PatR
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
I have had a few and my .221 is my primary calling rifle and general varmint gun. I have killed coyotes out at 200 yds with it. I have killed alot of coyotes with the fireball and have had no issues with them going down. I have had excellent luck with 50grn TNT and just about any other bullet in the 50 grain range.
You will be more than happy with the Fireball, low recoil and good performance is an combination that is hard to beat.....

Monkeyman
07-11-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a .221 and love it. Small cartridge, built on small Model 7 action with light stock and 20" fluted medium-weight barrel. Deadly accurate and easy to shoot from a vehicle with little noise, killed hundreds of primates.

BUT, if I was building a heavier gun I wouldn't have bothered. a .222 or .223 can be loaded down or up to do two jobs. If you're thinking about building a little Model 7 or CZ527 with short, light barrel I'd go for it. If you're building a Rammy 700 with heavy barrel go with the larger factory cartridge.

AR VARMINTER
07-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I also have a good friend that has a manufacturers license due to his business and builds them in the AR-15 Platform. They are shooters and I may get an upper and build one for myself someday! Very accurate and would be a great varmint gun!

AR Varminter

dan in va
07-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Not meaning to offend the board, but having shot/owned both, I greatly prefer the .222 for a long gun. The deuce has is an incredibly flexible cartridge and match grade brass is readily available. I'm not aware of any high end brass for the FB. So the FB is gone and triple deuce gets shot more than anything else (waxed 40 gr BK over 24.5 gr Reloder 7 is safe in this 700 Classic).

The FB makes a fine pistol cartridge, though.

Hope your decision suits you later....dan