Berger bullets? [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Berger bullets?

Doug Roberts
09-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Got a Midsouth SS email special notification this afternoon. They have Berger bullets in varmint calibers. Anybody have experience with the .20 and .22 cal Bergers?

Paul Workman
09-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Got a Midsouth SS email special notification this afternoon. They have Berger bullets in varmint calibers. Anybody have experience with the .20 and .22 cal Bergers?

Berger used to market their varmint bullets as MEF (for 'maximum expansion factor'). I used to shoot them almost exclusively until the V-Max came available back in '97. The V-max or Nosler BTs have better BC's, but the Bergers gave nothing up to accuracy.

I also shot some TNTs and Speer's big open tipped varmint bullets, and I would have to say the Bergers performed in kind - except accuracy was better, but I'm talking paper-punching scores, not practical performance on PDs.

One tends to gravitate to whatever works best for them. For me, since you asked, I'm looking at my bullet shelves and I see nothing but polymer-tipped bullets for varminting, except a couple old partials (Berger MEFs) boxes. I recon that is what my shooting has distilled it down to - shooting and buying whatever works best has me shooting something other than open pointed bullets when possible, but not exclusively, by any means.

P.

gonedawgn
09-08-2007, 11:58 AM
My favorite coyote bullet in a 22-250 is the 55 gn Berger or MEF. Deadly accurate and very few can run far after a hit. BUT they are not fur friendly. As I recycle them it doesn't bother me.

Roger (IL)
09-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I have used, and still do, Berger 40g and 60g moly match and varmint bullets. I have used some bullets that were more explosive but none more accurate.....Roger

Bruce Eakins
09-08-2007, 03:28 PM
17 's in my 17 MK4 and they work VERY well.

222thedeuce
09-09-2007, 12:36 PM
dealing with Midway and them not sending the bullets overnight like I asked, paid for and was promised. Which resulted in my working my loads up at the range and loading my ammo until 11pm the night before the match.
I talked to Midsouth in person and was told that they did not carry Berger b/c they could had not been able work out a good price as of yet. When I spoke with Berger after chewing Midway out six ways from Sunday. I told them that I would not use their bullets if I could not get better service from their dealers and that I would never deal with Midway again. I also during the conversation told them that Midsouth had excellent customer service and that suggested they really needed to work a deal with them. I am not taking credit for Midsouth now carrying the Bergers just wanted let some of the info be known that it sounds like Berger listened to a customer's complaint and took it seriously enough to take some positive action. Chad

Vartarg
09-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I've been extremely happy with the Berger 35gr .20 caliber bullets. Those on the .204 Ruger forum who've shot coyotes with them have been very satisfied as well. I just wish they'd offer them in 250 or 500 qty packaging and priceing.

glenn asher
09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
The 35s have a reputation as THE coyote bullet, but that doesn't mean they are best for PDs. I've tried the 35s and they shoot plenty good, but they still cost more than the VMs and Blitzkings, price is about like the Noslers, which are really good shooters, too. The BC isn't all that, either.
If money were no object, I'd be using the 32 Nosler BTs, the new ones. That boattail makes them easier to load than the 32 Hornadys or Sierras. Of course, money always matters, so if I will stick with the Hornadys for now, and plink with Midway's Dogtown 34s, the ultimate whifflebullet.
There's also news out of Barnes, they are making a 26 grain Varmint Grenade bullet now, for .20. If that bullet would shoot, it would be pretty fun to play with, if it shoots are poorly as I've heard the .22s do, I'd stick with the Dogtowns. I'm still waiting to try some out, if I trip over some.........

Catfish
09-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a Cz 257 in .204 and it`s a real tack driver with the 32 gn. Sierra`s. Great for game up to the size of groundhog or fox, but no good for coyote. After hitting 4 in the same day and not getting a 1 of them I called Sierra and they told me their bullets were for lte varments only and not designed for coyote size game. From what I`m hearing the 35 Bergers are the bullet of choice for coyotes, and from what I seen of the Hornady`s on groundhog I won`t use them on coyote eather. I bhuilt a .22-6mm for stand hunting coyotes since and now shoot 80gn .22 cal bullets at them. The Serria`s did very good, but I think I`ll be useing Bergers from what I seen of them yesterday.

Dancing Bear
09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Where did you find loading info for berger bullets. I tried email several times and got no reply. Then I called and talked to a lady at berger that refused to give me any info except that I could get the data thru email. I tild her I had tried and was getting no responce and she told me well try it again.:( :confused:

glenn asher
09-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Dancing Bear, Walt Berger WILL send data for the .204, but it's mighty conservative. Most of the posters on the .204um try his data, and then go up cautiously from that. I bet if you did a search function on the .204um that some data would show up handily. FWIW, I tried 27.3 Benchmark with the 35s and got some good groups (win cases and 7 1/2 primers). Also, Hodgdon's published data has loads for the Bergers, too (sticky at the top of the page on the 204um). Hope that helps you chase something down.

ducksoup
10-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Several powders work well with the Berger 35 grain bullet. My choice is 28.2 grains of H4895 with a bench rest primer. That's a max load so work up to it. My coyote hunting buddy uses 10X and another friend uses BlC2. All are very accurate. Just depends what your particular gun likes. And yes, the Berger 35 grain HP's ARE coyote killing machines! So far we've killed a dozen or so with this bullet and everyone has been a bang,flop. And very fur friendly. A big plus if you're saving pelts. And by the way I'm talking about the .20 calibre bullet out of a .204 Ruger, not the .22 calibre one. My choice for my .223 is a Berger 52 grain HP and out of my 22-250 I shoot the Berger 55 grain HP. Yes, I am a big Berger fan!