Value of Ruger 77/22 Hornet? [Archive] - Varmints Den

: Value of Ruger 77/22 Hornet?

Danny
09-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Can anyone tell me what the current price on a used, in about 95% cosmetic (or better) condition Ruger 77/22 Hornet (Walnut Stock. blued barrel) would be?

Thanks,

Danny

Fuzz
09-08-2007, 01:03 AM
As much as you can get! Do NOT Buy one, they don't shoot! Go for a CZ!:eek:

ollie
09-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I have seen them for around 350. with some work they do shoot.

woodchuckchucker
09-08-2007, 08:20 AM
My 77H would be one of last rifles to be sold off if that ever needed to happen. I have no complants what-so-ever. Having said that, some people say that they can't get them to shoot so that may help the buyer set his price. I'd be willing to pay somewhat more than others, IF I needed another Hornet. I have 5 in my safe now. I'm a Hornet fan. If you take a chance, get ahold of Charlie Sterner or myself for reloading info.

Bruce Herndon
09-08-2007, 11:44 AM
The only one I ever saw shoot well had been worked over by a gunsmith in S.C. If you want to sleep at night I think $250.00-$300.00 would be appropriate. It is a shame, as that rifle is one of the better looking Hornet's on the market today.

MLM
09-09-2007, 07:09 AM
They are all over the board on prices at gun shows and on for sale adds on most boards. Like it has been stated, they are shooters or they are not. Now with Bruce talking good about a Ruger scares me, I know he is a Mini 14 fan, but keeps that a well hidden story. Just for fun and giggles , I took one PD shooting and shot one or two with one just to prove it could be done. But if you do as Bruce says about leaving them in the same spot as last year will not work out West, to much contrast in the color , mine being SS and all. I like mine and also had one that would not shoot and just got a AI reamer and redid it myself and it is now in the keep list for me.
Would trade a CZ in a rimfire for one also. I like the Hornet that well myself. I know I have an extra MachII laying about in one of the safes right now, it is a good shooter ,but just barely lacks the power at 100 over the .17.
But that is from a blind hunter who shoots golf balls drilled thru the center and hung with eye bolts over a rod and let them spin when hit. The grandkids love that. They like it much better than shooting at paper.
Best of all, just have fun.
Mike Murphy

T.D.C.
09-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Sometimes just shumming the bolt will go a long weay to improving your accuracy. The Rugar has a two piece bolt that can get a little sloppy.

Alan in GA
09-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I fell in, and out,,,of love with the Ruger 77/22 both 22LR and Hornet versions. When I FINALLY decided my arsenal was not compelete without a 17 Ackley Hornet, I sold my Ruger and went the CZ route. Went to all the trouble to use a freind's lathe for the metric threading [my lathe is English thread only as is]. The reasons for going to CZ were: the Ruger bolt is sloppy as it comes from the factory. Some don't worry about it,,I did. When closed on an empty chamber the forward bolt section can be easily pushed side to side more than I cared to see. Also, my 22 Hornet [later converted to 'K' 22 Hornet] never was consistent with it's groups. Not only would it not group well other than the occasional 1/2" [at best but good] groups,,it would change point of impact for the center of the groups. Sooooooo, I build several CZ 17AHs and the one I"ve kept has just over 5,000 rounds through it and still groups about 1/2".
NOW,,,,here and on the Small Caliber News forum the Ruger is still discussed. It makes me [almost?] want to try a Ruger once again,,only with a heavier barrel and maybe some few inches of the rear barrel glass bedded. Of course the bolt will be tightened also.

Another thing about the Rugers. Doc and I both had them. I had the blue walnut, Doc the Varmint stainless/heavy barrel version. We removed the barrels for running a "K" reamer into them [fun conversion]. WHEN we bolted the action wrench on and the barrel into the barrel vise,,,it took BARELY a hand bump on the action wrench and the parts were easily spun apart. They were by far the LIGHTEST torqued of ANY barrel/actions I've ever parted. I have no idea if that accounts for anything. I have shot many itty bitty [technical term] groups out of my switch barrel Ruger 77 rifles with a hand torqued in barrel [butt stock between legs, both hands on barrel].

You guys quite talking or I'm gonna get curious and have to do a Ruger Hornet to 17AH convert. This could COST me money as I'll have to find a Ruger for the project. A friend has built many 17AHs on Rugers before changing to CZs and says the CZs are just a better action. But I rarely listen to reasoning and usually have to "do it myself" to believe such things.:rolleyes:

The Ruger is one of the nicest appearing rifles I ever saw. Maybe a bit wide in the action area,,but so are most women.....:eek:

I don't think I'll actually sign my name after that remark.:cool:

Herkimer Snordwick in ,,,pick a place.:D

charlie sterner
09-10-2007, 10:23 AM
They run $300-500 depending on condition and how much crack the dealer's smoking. :D

I got mine used for about $350 with scope about 10 yrs ago. It shot anywhere from 1" to 4" groups with FACTORY ammunition. Started reading this board and hearing recommendations of Lil'gun, pistol primers and Lee Factory crimp die. So far, I've tried 33 TNT's, 35 Vmax and 40 Vmax and all three bullets would shoot under 1" at 100 yrds with somewhere around 12.6-12.8 gr Lil'gun.

After I did load workup, I noticed the primers were protruding from the fired case. Not flat or pierced. Measured the amount of protrusion and it was equal to the "gap" in the 2-piece bolt. Concluded the slop in the bolt was allowing the primer to back out during firing.

Ordered a 10-pack of shims from McMaster-Carr (under $5 delivered next day!) and a $25 timney trigger/sear kit from Midway. Both fixes were SUPER-easy that almost anyone could do. (you don't have to spend hundreds shipping it out to a 'smith). Now the gun is an honest to goodness 1/2 MOA gun with 3 different bullets and Lil'gun powder.

Like Woodchuckchucker said, it would be one of the last guns to leave my safe.

Charlie

Dwayne TX
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
When this question came up, there used to be guys that would talk about overpriced tomato stakes, etc. But, they would turn around an want retail price for them. If I had one that was as bad as some reported, I'd send it back to Ruger. Luckily, I got one that will get just under 1" with the second handload I tried.

Danny
09-12-2007, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I think mine might shoot ok, but I can't be sure without extra testing. It had a scope on it that I'm pretty sure was bad. I'd make an adjustment on the scope, then shoot a group, and then the groups would go haywire for a while. I'd try to center up again by adjusting the scope and get large groups again. It makes you wonder if the scope, even when not having had a recent adjustment was ever very good at holding its zero, causing shot dispersion. I never got to put a good scope on it, not having shot it very much. It did sometimes start to show groups around 1" or just above, which is what I got with my CZ Hornet, but with more consistency. It is a great looking rifle and I may keep it, but the whole idea for me lately has been to get rid of righty rifles for lefty ones, or maybe single shots.

Thanks,

Danny

frank c.
09-12-2007, 10:43 PM
My 77H would be one of last rifles to be sold off if that ever needed to happen. I have no complants what-so-ever. Having said that, some people say that they can't get them to shoot so that may help the buyer set his price. I'd be willing to pay somewhat more than others, IF I needed another Hornet. I have 5 in my safe now. I'm a Hornet fan. If you take a chance, get ahold of Charlie Sterner or myself for reloading info.I am with you Bill,my ruger 77 VHZ 22 hornet is a great shooter,not quite as accurate as my CZ hornet but darn close.:)