savage LA ejection problems [Archive] - Varmints Den

: savage LA ejection problems

6mmedic
09-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Finally got a chance to shoot my new savage 270 today. Shoots great...3 shots touching and the barrel wasnt even broken in. thats with remington cheap shells too! Problem is its not ejecting correctly. Extractor is letting go early and dropping the empty case on top of the shells in the magazine. occassionally it will eject the right way but not often. Ejector and extractor look okay....any ideas?
thanks

Chris K.
09-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Finally got a chance to shoot my new savage 270 today. Shoots great...3 shots touching and the barrel wasnt even broken in. thats with remington cheap shells too! Problem is its not ejecting correctly. Extractor is letting go early and dropping the empty case on top of the shells in the magazine. occassionally it will eject the right way but not often. Ejector and extractor look okay....any ideas?
thanks

I had the same problem with my 12FV in 22-250. A new extractor from Sharp Shooter Supply (about $5.00) fixed the problem for a while (a few hundred rounds). The Sharp Shooter version seemed to be better made or at least from a different Savage lot than what came on the gun. The original was silver (pot metal?), while the one from SSS was gold (brass?). Personally, I think the bolt-face was cut too large and allowed the case to move to the side away from the extractor, letting it go early. I haven't bought a Savage since. Maybe buy several if you think you'll keep the gun.

Chris

Dog Buster
09-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm having similar problems with a 16 Savage...I have a Pac Nor 358 Win barrel on it...changed extractor...still problems....tried Hornady & Lapua & Fed brass (308) works better than the Winchester 308...but as mentioned call Savage and get a new extractor (bearing & spring too for a spare)

BillPa
09-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes, call Savage service and ask for a new steel extractor. A couple other things. Before installing the new one, make sure it moves in the slot freely. Sometimes there are burrs ( sides,ball detent) causing them to hang up short. After you put it together, note the position them gently push the extractor towards the outside of the bolt and release it. It should return to it's original position.

Next, check the ejector to make sure its working properly. It should extend to the inside edge or midway of the taper on the boltface. Many times there may be curd ( dirt, metal chips) in the bore limiting the travel or hanging it up.

If it still acts up, let me know. I'll pass on a modification I do to the extractors.

Bill

eggman
09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Bill, if you would go ahead and pass along your modification to the Savage extractor. I am still having problems after doing all the above . It is a 6 BR in what was originally a 22-250 action. It will extract the case about an inch or so and drop it . I then have to pluck it from the single shot adapter with my fingers. I would be curious what modification you are doing and would like to give it a try.

Rodney

T.D.C.
09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Check for something on the bolt race or single shot follower that may be tripping the shell outward.

BillPa
09-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Bill, if you would go ahead and pass along your modification to the Savage extractor. I am still having problems after doing all the above . It is a 6 BR in what was originally a 22-250 action. It will extract the case about an inch or so and drop it . I then have to pluck it from the single shot adapter with my fingers. I would be curious what modification you are doing and would like to give it a try.

Rodney

Rodney,
If you look at the extractor, there is a radius cut that contacts the rim. Some brass( or most) is well undersized, some as small as .464" instead of .470" or so. That cut limits how far the "claw" can engage the extractor groove. By filing it flat, you gain about .010-.015" more engagement.

http://user.pa.net/~wcmpa/MyFiles/Savage%20Tech/EX-1-comparision.jpg

The one on the left is the original, the right, the modified one. I got carried away on this one , removed more than necessary. It needs filed just enough to prevent it making contact with the rim. If you look closely you can see how much more the modified one engages the extractor groove. While you "grind'n", cut a negative rake( best way I can describe it) on the claw. Obviously not to scale, but you get the idea.
http://user.pa.net/~wcmpa/MyFiles/Savage%20Tech/Extractor%20angle.jpg

I fought with my 250AI till I did this, just had a guy do a 6BR the same way and cured that one too. Give it a shot.

Bill