Varmint Hunters Forum banner

222 Rem

9K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Oleman 
#1 ·
Best powder for the 222? IMR4198 or H322

#9 ·
I started out a long while back with the 50gr Sierra spitzer-#1330-and 23.5 grs of BLC-2, R-P cases, Rem 6 1/2 primers and just long enough to feed from the magazine from my Rem 700BDL. This load would easily shoot 3 shots into a group less than 1/2" at a hundred yards. I've since shot that barrel out and replaced it with a new Rem factory barrel and have graduated to the 50gr Nosler BT and 20.0grs of IMR4198;R-P cases and Fed 205M primers. With this load seated .010" from lands, it too, will put them into less than half-inch groups at a hundred yards. I've since acquired a T/C Contender and a Fox Ridge 15" barrel and it too will shoot the same load with the same accuracy or better. Matter of fact, I shot this guy at 200 yards last summer. Good luck Bob in Indiana

#12 ·
You mentioned the V-Max

Crowhunter, In a lot of 222's with the usual 1-14" twist, they may not be the most accurate 50 grainer you can use. I believe they may be too long.

Most Sako factory barrels will keyhole them. If they DO work well for you, that is good, and I would use H-322 over the IMR4198, but only because it worked well for me. I have no experience with the IMR.

#13 ·
Crowhunter, In a lot of 222's with the usual 1-14" twist, they may not be the most accurate 50 grainer you can use. I believe they may be too long.

Most Sako factory barrels will keyhole them. If they DO work well for you, that is good, and I would use H-322 over the IMR4198, but only because it worked well for me. I have no experience with the IMR.
The barrel is a 1-9 inch twist so that should not be a problem. I shot the SX years ago and remember it being pretty explosive. I thought the higher ballistic coefficient of the vmax may extend my range a little.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I will keep you posted.

#16 ·
I shoot N-133 as my favorite but H-322 is very close and less heat sensitive, but that's really not a problem in a 222.

Rick

#18 ·
every rifle is different

I have several 222's and use BENCHMARK RL-7 AND THE 322 SO I'D TRY THEM ALL SEE WHAT IS BEST!!!!!! EVEN AFTER READING KEN WATER'S PET LOADS I STILL TRY EVERYTHING ..... I GUESS THAT IS WHY I'M A RELOADER ... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SAVINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 ·
The Miracle Of The .222

Is that it will shoot & perform well with just about any powder/bullet
combination that you want to shoot in it (within reason), and do it
really well. One of the best all around small varmint rounds ever.
Along with the .222 Mag & .221 Fireball are my favorite varmint
rounds. I am going to try my first ever 220 Swifts in the PD Fields
of South Dakota in May, and I am sure I am gonna like them also.
HOwever the 220 Swifts are a totally different animal compared to
the very versatile .222's.

#23 ·
.220 Swift

Don

You'll love the .220 swift. I have two and they are really a lot of fun. If you are going to have one built and it isn't done yet take a quick look at the .220 Wilson Arrow. Same velocity as the Swift and uses the Swift case as its parent but a sharper shoulder and you won't be growing those cases.

#30 ·
This post

Reminded me how badly I wanted to get out and do a little calling last week with the .222. So being a nice day I made it to the range. Loaded up some Speer bullet number 1035 the 52 Grainer with the extra large HP with some RL7. My .222 is for calling and only has a 2 X 7 Leupold on it but at a hundred yards today I managed a 1/2 in group with the new load very near 3000 fps.

Those coyotes and bobcats better duck this coming week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.