Varmint Hunters Forum banner

BenchMark for 223

6K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Hairtrigger 
#1 ·
Anyone have a good BenchMark load for a 223(Encore) with a 52 grain Calhoon Double HP bullet?? Tom.

#6 ·
The problem with the 223 is that it likes almost anything (powder/bullet) you put in. The good thing with the 223 is that it likes almost anything (powder/bullet) you put in it.

With that said, one of THEE very best powders for the 223 is indeed Benchmark. Especially with the 40 gr bullet at a screaming, chronographed 3774 fps from a 26" barrel in 70 degree temp. With even less recoil & muzzle jump. And dead nuts accuracy! This load is with 28.5grs & is our favorite coyote load in 2, 223's! (uh, what 204? lol)

My 223 did not care as much with the 50gr bullets, unlike one of my friend's rifle that does great with both bullet weights with Benchmark.

Another outstanding powder, at least in one 223 (but not mine) we tested is IMR 8208 XBR. We have not chrono'd this load yet, but believe it to be near, if not as good as Benchmark. One hole groups were common. 27 & 27.5 grs so far!

If all else fails, 23.5 grs of RL10X and the 50gr Nosler b.t. will give 3400 fps (in 26" barrel) & excellent accuracy. Alliant powders are heat sensitive however, & why I try & use Hodgdon's stuff.

BTW, IMR 8208 is absolutely awesome in the 22-250.

Regards
Frank

#7 · (Edited)
The problem with the 223 is that it likes almost anything (powder/bullet) you put in. The good thing with the 223 is that it likes almost anything (powder/bullet) you put in it.
<snip>
Frank
I agree with Frank. I load a lot of .223 & discovered the same thing. I finally settled on 25gr H335 with 55gr bullets. 1lb will yield 280 rounds and it meters beautifully and very consistant. It will run in most any AR15 while still producing good results in a stick shift rifle.

eta: fixed my math error. Thanks to Holedigger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.