Varmint Hunters Forum banner

surplus wc860 powder burn rate similar to h870

12K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Johnly 
#1 ·
found for sale 2 8 pound jugs of wc860 military surplus gun powder.im sure its wc 860?seller said it was same burn rate as hodgdon h-870 or accurate 8700,that you could use the data for h870,accurate 8700.
if it is wc860 is the seller right in saying its similar to h870,accurate 8700?
i asked if this was suitable for 223 rem loads.he said yeah i think 20grs with 55gr.bullet.i dont think so.
was there ever a wc860 powder available?thanks

#2 ·
There are two types out there of the pull down

http://www.tntreloading.com/
There are two types of it out there and they are a fast lot and a slow lot. I put the place that use to sell it at the start of this reply. I think it is like H380. But will not bet the farm on it. There are so many ole pull down powders out there. Better to ask and start out low than work up no matter what it says.
If you have some problems just email me at
murphy@imetweb.net
Mike Murphy

#3 ·
I used WC860 in the BMGs, Pats reloading still carries it. The guy was ½ right it is simalar to H870 but I sure wouldnt use it in the 223! $33/8#keg its cheap and works alright in a very large case magnum with heavy bullets but is extremely temp sensitive...be carefull when it gets hot!
.patsreloading.com

#4 ·
There is a difference between H-870 and AA 8700 with 8700 being faster. That said even it is way to slow for a .223. In fact with the H-870 I can fill the case and mash in an 80 gn. bullet in a .22-6mm. With that load I get 3,200 fps. With Mag Pro I can get over 3,600 fps. If the WC-860 is in the brun rate of H-870 it would be good only for over bore magnums.

#5 ·
Cartridges of the World, in the back, lists the military powders used to load military ammo. Often you can figure things out. I think the 870/8700 and 8600were used in the 20 mm, but long time since I looked. These are all non canister and you use the closest canister STARTING LOADS to start. You are "on your own." And you are playing a low risk version of "you bet your life."

The bum that said it was o.k. for the .223 was trying to make a sale. Yes, if you want .22 short standard velocity performance and lots of filth... But anything like .223 factory performance? NAW... not close... luck.

#6 ·
I've tried wc860 and the lot I have is slower than h870 I've used. Don't use it anymore because after a few shots in the heat things get sticky(I was using it in a large cap. 25 wildcat) Also powder fouling is bad, and that might be some of pressure problems I was seeing. The powder is cheap but I've had better luck with rl25. Velocities and pressures seem to be more stable.

#8 ·
I tried it in my 25-06 and it was sloooooow. I found RL-25 to be a much better choice. The one really odd use for this powder was in my #4 Mk2 Enfield. A case full of of WC860 and a 180 grain Sierra .311 bullet delivers exceptional accuracy in this rifle. The velocity is only ~2000 fps, but the rifle is only used for a old bolt rifle matches we hold locally.

John in Oregon

#7 · (Edited)
wc860

here is what my source says about it
Original application is U.S. .50 Cal. BMG ammo, used for the Ball
M33 and API M8 projectile. A ball powder which can be loaded using
Hodgdon H870 or AA8700 data.
Notice it says you can use the data from H870 or AA8700, doesn't say pressures will be the same.
I shoot a lil WC872, it also says the same thing and you hafta load it higher to achieve close to max pressures
example:
hodgdon #27 calls for a max load in a 7mm STW w/160 gr bullet of 90 gr of H870, my wc 872 load for the same bullet is 94 gr.
Also watch the slow buring mil surp ball powders, they are temp sensative like you've never saw before! These powders are very highly graphited and this causes the temp sensativity thing, But they are easier on the barrels in overbore cartridges, also you need to run between 55 and 60k or it is sooty (dirty), last but not least, the WC872 was designed for the 20 mm Vulcan cannon, the wc 860 for the 50 bmg, now you put these powders in a smaller than designed for case and use a heavy for caliber bullet, the burn rate does seem to speed up (how else can you explain the fact that the 200 VC has a powder capacity of 1/2 cup yet I can load a 7mm STW up to max velocities with it with 160 gr and heavier bullets), they are a great powder, cheap, consistant, that is best used in cold weather but an extra session of load developement in the summers heat can have it shooting very well then too.
I just have a summer and winter load for my 7mm Allen mag, in hot weather I cut the charge from 110 to 105 gr of WC872, and POI's and pressures are the same, just don't leave a round set in a warm chamber, it'll be 200 fps faster than the last one. some of the 1k BR shooters have used the WC powders in cold weather.
JS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.