Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Remington Mark 7 and Walker triggers?

935 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  toiville2feathers 
#1 · (Edited)
I watched 60 minutes last evening about the Remington 700 triggers. I have owned many Rem. 700 and not once have I had a problem. BTW, the "Ten Commandment" of firearm safety was not discussed as an issue. I would like to hear from this forum their collective thoughts. Meant Mark X trigger. Thanks. MTG

#2 ·
I have knowledge of a few AD's due to the old triggers. All of these were on early 700's with the flat lever safety, and on the ones that mechanically locked the bolt upon putting on safe. The issue with the AD's was to unload, you had to flip the safety off. That would trigger the AD's. It happened to a friend, who nearly shot another friend of ours. You are right...the safety is between your ears. Follow the 10 commandments and expect the unexpected.

#3 ·
I believe I only have one rifle with a safety. That's a Ruger that I keep in the safe for a loaner for my grandkids and nephews. My benchrest rifles don't have safeties and neither do my prairie dog guns. I'm not advocating that, it's just that I don't put a round in the chamber until I'm at the bench and ready to drop the hammer. Like Charlie said, my safety is between my ears.

Rick

#4 ·
Rem.700 triggers and the 60 Minute segment...

IMHO the segment was biased and improperly offered. At one point the interviewer asked if the father had taught his sons proper firearm safety. He commented that he had but the was not any discussion about the 10 commandments of firearm safety. 60 minutes did not take the son to task about his actions about loading, pointing the 700 at his brother in an attempt to intimidate him. Then the young man changed things up in an attempt to make the scene appear to be a suicide. Lots of alarm bells went off in my head at these statements.
The Rem. 700 is a mechanical device for which all, or most, mechanical devices are subject to failure if not kept adjusted, cleaned or maintained properly. 60 Minutes did not inquire whether the particular model 700 had been tampered with, adjusted, clean or properly maintained. A trigger should be cleaned at intervals to continue safe service. The sear engagement comes factory set and only a competent gunsmith should adjust the sear engagement. Was this addressed...NO!
It is my opinion that 60 Minutes should revisit this issue to offer a complete and thorough investigation. Albeit we all know this will happen when pigs fly. MTG

#5 ·
Everything I've ever seen on 60 Minutes was biased. It's my belief that they approach every topic with a predetermined outcome then twist facts to reach their goal.

Never had a Rem 700 but they are no different than any other tool. When used in a reckless manner they can be dangerous.

#6 ·
Remington has had more than their share of accidents. They started to get complaints right away when they started to sell the Model 600. It's claimed that the model 600 had over a 50% failure rate. Walker (who designed the trigger) advocated a mechanism that would have held the trigger and connector in place while the safety was on. Internal company documents show Remington rejected walkers trigger block idea because of cost. This was in 1948 and the cost would have been 5-1/2 cents per gun.
I do agree that the "Ten Commandments of Gun Safety" needs to be applied and adhered to. IMHO there is no accidental discharges, they are all NEGLIGENT discharges. Knowing where the muzzle is pointing is very important rule. Go to a public gun range, and see how many times you get swept with a muzzle, better yet go to a gun store and watch. Look at the gun discharges and people shot at gun shows. That is a situation where those dealers that are selling the guns should be very much aware that they are required to be unloaded and make double sure they are. Those attendees that carry a gun into a show are required to have them inspected by the guards at the door but still they seem to get past with out an inspection. There are those who have a permit to carry, but refuse to disarm and sneak carry the gun in. These incidents which have happened shines a very negative light on the shooting fraternity, and are be caused by the very members of the shooting fraternity that make it up. We need to police ourselves first and then our own rank and file, and I first along with the rank and file need to understand that we need to take full responsibility for our actions when we screw up. But what usually happens when someone corrects us, other than a Range Officer. we all heard those stories of whitewash.
I never carry a gun when I am hunting with one in the chamber. If I don't have time to put a shell in the chamber, then I don't have time for a decent shot. It's that simple. I shoot bolt or lever action rifles, pump shot guns and revolvers. I don't own any semi-auto guns or pistols. Don't like them because they depend on a safe.
Depending on a gun safe, is like smoking, odds are it is going to kill you. When it happens the gun helps you die faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.