Varmint Hunters Forum banner

How accurate are Browning B78's

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  olsingleshot 
#1 ·
I ran across one in 30-06 and wondered if they're shooters or not. I always liked the falling block look, but stayed away from Ruger #1's. I really wanted a Wickliffe when I first read about them way back, so if the B78's have a decent rep as shooters it may satisfy the Jones.

#2 ·
I have a B-78 octagon barrel in .25/06, have owned it probably fifteen or more years. I got mine from a friend, who gave me some handloads with it. 117 grain Sierra bullets over a less than max powder charge that literally punched one large hole. Once I shot those rounds up, I was never able to duplicate the load and accuracy.:confused:

It shoots well enough for sure, but is difficult to keep centered on a rest when trying to shoot tight groups. A scope will hinder access to the hammer, not alot of clearance there. I once accidentally discharged my rifle into the ground after I loaded it and was lowering the hammer to the half cock position, while wearing gloves.

Be careful.

#4 ·
My neighbor bought one when they first came out which would put that around the 1970's....as I remember. His was a 3006 and it never failed to shoot pretty fair groups at under 1/2"@100yds with handloads. He was happy with it and his had a drop dead gorgeous piece of wood on it too. I thought at the time it was one of the most beautiful rifles I had ever seen. It still ranks among the best looking. But something in the back of my old mind is remembering that some of these rifles had accuracy issues. It was because of how the barrel attaches to the receiver and is not supported like a bolt gun. Might ask around about that. I hate to not mention it and you have issues later.

#6 ·
High Walls

The Browning High Walls are pretty good rifles.. There are some that won't shoot well, but most did. Just like any other rifle.

The two biggest problems were the trigger and the forearm. The triggers were difficult to work on. You can bed the forearm. Tom.

#7 ·
b-78

just bought one off gun broker,used,with a 6x lyman in 22-250. first three shots of ww super-x 55 gr sp at 100 yds .75 inch, never cleaned did not appear to be real dirty. i am sure it will do better with hand loads and the 4200 elite 8x24 i have now mounted. trigger feels about 3 lb. i feel like it will be a keeper.

#8 ·
b78 RATS!

Not to hijack thread, sorry if it seems so, I just gotta say I'm mad at you guys for bringing it up, these are beyoootiful rifles & I've always wanted one.
Now you've gone & done it & I'll have to find ME one.
I've got shooters, time fo me to git a purty gun.
Steve Long

#10 ·
And Fisherman's Marine Supply in north Portland (OR) has a Browning Low Wall in .243 in nice condition.

I have some Browning 1885 High Walls. They are all quite accurate, especially the 223 and 22-250. They will do half inch groups all day long with premium ammo, and 3/4" groups with plain ol' ordinary ammo. The 223 will also do 1" groups with cheap remanufactured ammo, like Black Hills, UltraMax, et al. I've killed more critters with the 1885 in 223 than all my other guns combined, including the rimfires.

The 25-06 is accurate with 100 grain and under bullets (3/4" groups). I can't get anything over that to stabilize. They don't keyhole, but groups are six inches. I wonder if the twist rate for the 25-06 was changed between the B78 and 1885? BTW, the 25-06 was not a regularly cataloged 1885. This gun is the limited run Wyoming Centennial 1890-1990. It has a gold inlaid antelope on it. I bought it for long range coyote hunting. The 30" barrel gave a 300 yard point blank on a coyote.

Always wanted an 1885 in 30-06, but never got around to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.