Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Looking at bolt action .223 rifles that take AR magazines

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike Gibson 
#1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a bolt action .223 that uses AR magazines. I have read reviews on the Savage Axis and Mossberg MVP Predator. So far the MVP gets the nod. Does anyone have a real world experience with one of both of these rifles. I'm leaning towards the MVP so far but open to change. Thanks in advance.

Mike

#3 ·
I'm NOT familiar w/ that Mossberg at all. But, I've been around and shot lots of PDs with various Salvages So, IF certain characteristics of the BVSS and LRVP models are maintained* (current Salvages on hand), then I'd be looking at Savage by virtue of experiences with them and none with the Mossy you mentioned.

*The Savages mentioned are often said to be "a poor man's switch barrel gun:. For the cost of a custom barrel and maybe a bolt face adapter, you can own a new caliber relatively cheaply!

Just my 2 cents...:rolleyes:

#5 ·
I AGREE! No slight on factory Savage barrels intended. Ami's factory stainless fluted 223 BVSS will put 5 (center to center) under 3/4" (think "paintball") at 200 yards. So, (again) no slight on Savage intended!:D

#6 ·
I don’t think that an AR clip would serve much of a purpose on a bolt action rifle. My only experience with them amounts to seeing other shooters that have them on the range. And this is what I have observed.
When they are trying to shoot them from a bench it looks quite awkward. When they are shot from shooting sticks they are ok, until they go to open the bolt. When they carry them it also looks quite awkward, which makes it for myself, not a choice for a walking rifle. The addition of the large AR mag also adds weight.
Varmint hunting is a walk about process for most species today. Even prairie dogs are becoming a walk about. There aren’t many large dog towns where you can set up benches and shoot for several hrs.
If you have a precision rifle, would you want to shoot it with out stopping for 30 rounds To let it cool. Seems like a good way to shorten the life of the barrel.
I shoot left handed, and have been shooting mostly savages for my whole hunting career of 67 years. They are my favorite go to rifle.
Regarding Mossberg, their “Patriot” is a very impressively accurate rifle. It is a rifle I wouldn’t mind owning IF they made it in left hand bolt,
Good Luck on your quest and may you have target rich environment.

#7 ·
I was thinking of 5 round AR magazines. I just like detachable magazines. My 12BVSS is very accurate but a bit much to hike around all day with. Cost/quality seemed reasonable on the MVP. It seems as I'm swimming against the tide by wanted a wood stock. I just don't care for synthetic stocks at all.

It seemed to me that not many options in .223 anymore. They must have fallen out of favor now days. Ruger has a few models with wood stocks but their list price is unreal. I'm sure street value is lower but nowhere near what I can get a MVP for.

I'm in no hurry so I'll just keep stumbling along and something will fall out of the sky eventually. :)

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.