Varmints Den

Varmints Den (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Firearms and Optics (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Leupold support (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159866)

Mike Gibson 04-09-2019 08:35 PM

Leupold support

I had a pair of their cheaper Wind River Binos and after many years one of the lenses came apart. So I sent them in and they replaced them with a new pair of Rogue BX-1. They old ones were at least 15+ years old. So to some companies a lifetime warranty actually means something. Kudos to Leupold for standing behind the products they sell. Even the cheaper imported optics.

Paul Workman 04-13-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Gibson (Post 1103784)
I had a pair of their cheaper Wind River Binos and after many years one of the lenses came apart. So I sent them in and they replaced them with a new pair of Rogue BX-1. They old ones were at least 15+ years old. So to some companies a lifetime warranty actually means something. Kudos to Leupold for standing behind the products they sell. Even the cheaper imported optics.

+1! Had several occasions to send stuff back to Leupold for service, and have similar stories to relate.

BUT! it doesn't end there!

WEAVER sent me a new scope after sending my old one it for a repair of something I inherited when I bought the scope.

NIKON replaced my 8x42 binos NO CHARGE with a new pair after I broke one of the objective lenses - MY fault. Also... I accidentally used my camera bag as a wheel chock - broke the lens off the camera body. They repaired the bayonet mount on the ED 80-300 telephoto lens and replaced the (610) body with a new one - for only $500! I was (still am) ecstatic over the repair!! (an anniversary gift at that).

Mike Gibson 04-13-2019 02:26 PM

It seems to me that the shooting related industry as a whole is pretty darn good about taking care of customers. I cannot think of a single company that has let me down so far. Which says something for the industry as a whole. You sure don't see that often in the automobile industry for example.

toiville2feathers 04-13-2019 05:08 PM

Mike, I agree with you, over many years of dealing with shooting optic I have the same experiences. But in the last few years I have had 2 negative experiences .
1. Leupold: I wanted a new spotting scope. Being a long time Leupold fan, I wasnít going to consider nothing but a Leupold. The Kenai series caught my eye and was my only hands down choice. There was some sticker shock, but it never changed my mind. So thatís what I bought.
I was really excited about it. UPS delivered it, unpacked it, looked briefly at it and got in my pick up and drive around the county to try it out. What a fantastic piece of glass. Towards evening in a low light situation it was beyond excellent. I was so happy with my choice.
I went home after it got dark and after supper I started reading the instruction book and fill out
the warranty card. Whoa! What the hell is a Leupold green ring scope, made in China! The warranty is only good to the original owner! So I filled out the warranty card in my grandsons name. I expect him to live longer than me.
Iím well satisfied with the scope, but that is the first time in 60 years that I run into that situation with a Leupold name.

2. I have a pair of Stiener military-Marine binos. 40 years ago when I was in Germany I bought them. They also were an excellent piece of glass. This last fall they lost there clarity. I thought that the orings had deteriorated and they lost there gas charge. I checked on Stiener website and saw they had a repair center in the US. I contacted them and got a return authorization and was told they probably should be under warranty so I sent them back. A few days later I got an e-mail informing me that the the right prisim was loose and couldnít be repaired and that it was damaged because of abuse so the warranty was void. They did offer me a $100 discount if the MSRP suggested price. It was still to high priced for a product from a mfr with scrappy service policy.
Across the board that is the new norm as these companies outsource there products to the foreign companies. 1 day past the expiration, sorry no warranty.

glenn asher 05-26-2019 11:12 AM

I bought a Leupold Freedom Rimfire scope last week. Put it on a rifle and danged if I could use it worth a hoot. It supposedly has a 60 yard parallax setting, but at 50 yards I couldn't make out the reticle OR the target worth a nickel.
I took it off and put a Simmons .22 Mag AO back on the rifle, and it went back to shooting better than I can (CZ 452).
It's a helluva note when a Leupold isn't as clear and reliable as a Simmons (at 4 times the cost, BTW). The Leupold will go back to Oregon, if they can't make it right, they can keep it.

Indianaoutdoorsman 06-16-2019 09:09 AM

Iíve sent two things back to Leupold

I was a second owner 30+ year old VX-III that wouldnít hold zero. They replaced it with a new VX-3 no charge. I was able to pay the price difference and upgraded to a higher power scope.

I bought a pair of binos in Cabelas Bargain Cave that had been returned because the threads on the eyepiece were stripped. I got them for about 70% off. Leupold replaced 5hem with a brand new upgraded pair