Varmints Den

Varmints Den (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Open Topic/General Discussions (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bad bullet or bad load (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160222)

tc tom 05-23-2019 10:26 AM

Bad bullet or bad load

Good morning Gents
In 2014 I shot a good sized Wyoming 5x5 bull elk. I was using a 7mag with a Nosler 140 gn Accubond running a guesstimated 2800 fps. This load took my gun from 1 1/2 - 2 moa sale fodder to 1/2" for 5 at 100 yards and similar moa at 300. The bull was close to 300 yards away. My first shot thru the lungs addled him and a second shot to the spine planted him. Apon skinning him the lung bullet was found. Other than the rifling marks it looked like it just came out of the box. The other bullet was not found. I just drew a Kentucky Bull tag and am trying to decide if I go hotter with this bullet which I didn't try before or find another bullet and load. Sorry for the long post

Tom

Trapper6L 05-23-2019 11:31 AM

In South Texas, ranges can be long, real long for hunting the deer and varmints. It's not uncommon for the guys using a 300 Win Mag with a 125gr TNT varmint bullet to be set up in a hunting stand with a shooting bench and flags at the various distances normally starting at 500 yds. These guys are hunting the senderos which are maybe 20 yards wide but run for miles. By the time the bullet reaches the animal, it's slowed down so much that there is no bullet blowup and the bullets usually perform great. Can't say that it would work on an elk mostly because we don't have anything other than exotics and cattle that big. But it's something to consider if you think the ranges will long. Obviously, a close shot is going to be nasty. Hope you find the right combo. I sold the 7 mag I had because the freakin' gun would not put an animal down. What would be a normal killing shot would have the deer run. Trailing a deer around here means you might not the necessary skills to be hunting at all. I sold the gun even though it had a custom thumbhole stock and would shoot tiny cloverleafs at 100yds. But I never found a killing bullet combo for that rifle. Best of luck in your search.

damonkeydobad 05-23-2019 12:05 PM

I have had good luck with accubonds out to 400yd in my 7mag on elk but mine are pushing 3100fps.Try bumping up your load and see where your groups start to open up.Good Luck

s3gunner 05-23-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damonkeydobad (Post 1106764)
I have had good luck with accubonds out to 400yd in my 7mag on elk but mine are pushing 3100fps.Try bumping up your load and see where your groups start to open up.Good Luck

+1

Steven

[email protected] 05-23-2019 04:15 PM

Sometimes driving a projectile faster might mean that it won't perform as it should at slower velocities.

I use Sierra Game Kings in my 30/06AI(around 2900fps) and .270 on pigs, goats, deer, feral donkeys and horses in my 30/06AI and have never had a fail.............yet.

I have shot a deer with the 30/06AI and the (I think it was) 165gn Hornady BT virtually lost about 80% of it's weight but it dropped and ran off a bit even though hit hard through the lungs.

Deer here in Australia are tough critters and can take a decent hit of a .30 cal and bigger and run off before dropping even after being hit hard in the boiler room so I'm assuming that deer in the US can be the same absorbing a fair bit of energy off a bullet.

I have shot a pig or 2 where I've had a pass through even when hit in the boiler room at close range(50yds+) but the pig has dropped on the spot it just depends on bullet construction and what the makers say is an ideal velocity range to load that pill to.

Kermit in Va. 05-23-2019 05:00 PM

Love the accubonds in all the cals we hunt with.( 243, 264 win mag,308...)140s in a 280 and ain't had a problem with them. All have went through like a arrow, and left a good exit.
They have all shot as good on paper too.

Donnie

charlie sterner 05-23-2019 08:38 PM

All these fancy new bullets shoot well it seems, but performance on game varies. I really like the ballistic tips and the 162 gr A-max shoots freaking incredible in my 7 Mag, but they both can ruin a hell of a lot of meat. They've both killed exceptionally well for me. But I'm getting to the train of thought that good ole cup and core bullets are still the way to go. They're tried and true, shoot fairly well, usually, and perform well at most velocities. Bullets like Nosler partition, Sierra game kings, Rem core lokts if you can find them, and the Hornady interlok all great big game killing bullets. And they're usually 50-70% cheaper to boot!

George Foster 05-24-2019 05:09 AM

I agree with Charlie, I think a Nosler Partition 140,150, or 160gr or a Sierra SPBT 150 or 160gr would be good medicine. The Sierra bullets as a whole are a very accurate bullet.

dk17hmr 05-24-2019 01:12 PM

Get a heavier bullet and get it going faster.....maybe look at the ELDx line. I killed a bull a couple years ago with my 280 with 160gr partitions muzzle velocity was 2825fps. I have killed a couple deer and elk with the same load and have been very pleased with the results.

Elk are big tough animals just keep shooting until they aren't moving or you cant see them.

I used the 338 lapua last season with a 230gr going just under 3k and I think I'll continue using it on elk especially with desert tags

Paul Workman 05-25-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc tom (Post 1106754)
Good morning Gents
In 2014 I shot a good sized Wyoming 5x5 bull elk. I was using a 7mag with a Nosler 140 gn Accubond running a guesstimated 2800 fps. This load took my gun from 1 1/2 - 2 moa sale fodder to 1/2" for 5 at 100 yards and similar moa at 300. The bull was close to 300 yards away. My first shot thru the lungs addled him and a second shot to the spine planted him. Apon skinning him the lung bullet was found. Other than the rifling marks it looked like it just came out of the box. The other bullet was not found. I just drew a Kentucky Bull tag and am trying to decide if I go hotter with this bullet which I didn't try before or find another bullet and load. Sorry for the long post

Tom

I've loaded 7mm mags for several friends - one of them with 160 gn Partition bullets, but mostly 175 gn Partitions (the 175s at 2800 fps, IIRC). ALL of the critters shot fell dead and bullet performance was "as advertised". (Ranges varied out to 500+ yards.)

A 140 gn out of a 7mm mag strikes me as light weight, and 2800 fps (IV) is WAAAAY slow for that bullet/7mm mag. And, for the bullet to be recovered in (more or less) pristine condition (no expansion) also is a head scratchier - especially...if shot broadside/lung shot. Something strikes me as peculiar, based on the performance seen by several 7mm mag loads. Peculiar...

The "ACCUBOND" is the next generation of the Nosler premium (Partition) blts. I don't have any personal experience with terminal performance with that bullet, tho I have loaded some. So, with that said, my experience/gut says you need to load some heavier bullets. And, (for me) the ol' standby for the 7mm mag is a stiff load of IMR 4350 over a mag primer.

Just my 2 cents (if worth that!).:rolleyes: