Varmints Den

Varmints Den (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Reloading Discussion (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Three way cutter (https://www.varminthunters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159990)

Onehole 04-25-2019 10:14 PM

Three way cutter

I have an older model Lyman Power Case Trimmer. It works well and I like the universal case head collet. What I would like is a three way (length, bevel & chamfer) cutter head like RCBS offers. Anyone ever attempt to adapt something like this?

Paul Workman 04-26-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onehole (Post 1104754)
I have an older model Lyman Power Case Trimmer. It works well and I like the universal case head collet. What I would like is a three way (length, bevel & chamfer) cutter head like RCBS offers. Anyone ever attempt to adapt something like this?

In my quest travels, I've spoken with RCBS and (according to the email) RCBS is about to intro a new 3-way trimmer (in MAY/JUNE) that will address cases bigger than .338 - which is the limit of their current offerings.

I will be headed over to Forster's facility early next week to discuss tooling adaptations appropriate for my MCS lathe - which should work for any hobby lathe, I would think. I'll report here with what I find out.

BTW, I've had my MCS for 30 years now - turns out (no pun intended) one of my best precision tools for case preparation I ever bought. But, now I'm considering upgrading to a slightly bigger machine which has full machining features for turning out small parts and doing a lot of the basic smithing machining (making reamers and such tooling, etc). So, I may be putting the MCS up for sale, when/if I do upgrade.

Cheers!

Onehole 04-26-2019 10:31 AM

Paul

Thanks for your interest. I am just a hobby reloader and since I don't crank out large quantities I am more interested in precision. I load for six different cartridges so the universal collet speeds things up. I do have a manual RCBS case trimmer with the 3 way head that does a good job. I prefer to use the 22 degree inside chamfer hand tool by Lyman.

45TAJ 04-26-2019 03:07 PM

Even though I know not about your MCS lathe, I've gleaned over the years that some were less than happy w the runout/accuracy of their small hobby types. Just a heads up toward your next possible purchase.
Hmmm, btw - bushing(s) or bearings in the headstock?

Paul Workman 04-27-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45TAJ (Post 1104826)
Even though I know not about your MCS lathe, I've gleaned over the years that some were less than happy w the runout/accuracy of their small hobby types. Just a heads up toward your next possible purchase.
Hmmm, btw - bushing(s) or bearings in the headstock?

Good to know!

Runout with the MCS lathe has not been an issue, prolly b/c I chuck up a K&M neck turner and spin the K&M neck turner around the necks while holding the case stationary in the colet. If there was a couple tho or so runout due to bearings in the head stock, they would be mitigated by the K&M turner - being self-contained, I guess.:rolleyes:

But! Now that you've made me aware, I'll be sure to check the head stock (runnout) before laying down the GREEN!

THANKS!

45TAJ 04-27-2019 10:49 AM

Even though bronze bushings would probably "see us out", ya want a head running on bearings and you're welcome. Is Am I going to drag you to the BBB?

45TAJ 04-27-2019 10:51 AM

Ami.......dadgummed auto correct. It makes a LOT more mistakes in my content than it corrects!

Ron in Mn 04-27-2019 12:00 PM

Assume you have the same power Lyman trimmer that I have, have not found any three way tools that will fit it. Do the trimming with the Lyman carbide cutter head and then do the inside and outside with the one Lyman combination tool designed for the Lyman power trimmer

TinMan 04-27-2019 02:18 PM

Very similar set-up, but start with the Forster Power Trimmer on my drill press, then use the double ended Lyman ID/OD chamfer tool in the drill press. Very quick and effective.

Paul Workman 04-30-2019 05:11 PM

Just got back from Forster. Picked up some case prep tools for 45-70 cases that will work in my MCS case lathe:

#4 Colet (45-70, 90, 100, 110, 120) This allows me to secure each case precisely (with regard to centerline) in about 2 seconds.

Case trimmer (45 cal)

Neck wall thickness uniformer and .452" pilot for same

Contrary to what I was led to believe, Forster does not make a 3-way cutter for 45 cal cases, let alone a cutter that can be chucked up in my head stock.

So, I'll have to chuck the Forster case trimmer tool into my head stock and adjust the tail stock for precise dept of cut(s) and then chuck up the dual purpose inside/outside (chamfer/deburring) tool and prep the case trimming in 3 steps instead of ONE. But, I'm not going to be loading 45-70 cased in the same volume one might do before a prairie dog trip. It's only a minor inconvenience to handle a limited number of cases twice each to prep each case... (RCBS says: 3-way cutter for 45+ calibers?? Look for an announcement come June time frame!)