Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Ruger 77/17 hornet

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  gabe37 
#1 ·
Whose shooting a Ruger 77/17 hornet and what kind of accuracy are you getting?
Thanks

#6 ·
Ruger 17h

Hope to get out tmw and shoot it.
I’ve-
Glass bedded it
Free floated the barrel
Shimmed the bolt
Replaced sear and trigger spring with Volquartsen.

The Volquartsen kit reduced the pull from 5 plus pounds to 2.75 pounds and there’s little or no creep.

#8 ·
Hope to get out tmw and shoot it.
I’ve-
Glass bedded it
Free floated the barrel
Shimmed the bolt
Replaced sear and trigger spring with Volquartsen.

The Volquartsen kit reduced the pull from 5 plus pounds to 2.75 pounds and there’s little or no creep.
I've pretty much done the same to my 77/17 and can get sub 1/2 MOA with 20gr reloads and factory 15.5 NTX.
I see now that Federal is making ammunition for the 17 Hornet. Anyone tried this yet?

#7 ·
I have a CZ in .17 Hornet, it's been a lot of fun, and will shoot the 20gr. VMax factory ammo to about 3/4" on a regular basis. Handloads are a fuzz better. 25gr. HPs aren't quite there, but not too far off, either.
You'll have a lot of fun with it.

#10 ·
It's not always the easiest to load for since even a small variation can produce large swings in performance.
I really haven't done much with the rifle lately except shoot varmints from the back porch and I've been using factory ammo for that.
I'll look up in my notes what worked for me but if I had loads for H4198 and Lil Gun.
I also worked with neck sizing with a bushing die and bullet depth seating.
I plan on working up more loads this fall and playing around.
The last year I've dedicated most of my reloading to my 22 Nosler uppers. One for heavier bullets and one for lighter bullets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.