Varmint Hunters Forum banner

224 Valkyrie

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Doug Roberts 
#1 ·
Got a call from TinMan hisself a while ago. He knows I've been curious about the .224 Valkyrie and he tipped me off that Palmetto State Armory had an 18" complete upper on clearance for $299. It and 100 rds of cheap ammo are on the way. Midway USA also got an order for 2 magazines, 200 pieces of brass, and a 2-die set. A call to Dillon revealed I already have the correct shell plate, powder funnel, and buttons. I have a variety of bullets suitable for the .224V and probably have a powder or two that will work. The wait is on!

#3 ·
It went bang

Actually got to shoot the Valkyrie this afternoon. Went to a shindig at the niece's place and took a few shots before the crowd showed up. All I wanted to do is make sure it went BANG and get the scope looking where the gun was shooting. Only had 50 yards to shoot but mission accomplished. Took a few shots to get the scope adjusted but the last 5 were pretty good. Our nephew put 2 into a half inch, Julie put 2 touching on a different POA, and I took the last shot at Julie's hits and missed by a half inch. Shooting cheap Federal American Eagle 75 gr FMJ. Next stop will be the 100 and 200 yard ranges at Crosley F&W next week. I'll cook up a couple more loads before then.

#6 ·
Remains to be seen

Sorry I don't have any definitive answers yet but here's what I know, so far. I doubt the 1:7 barrel is likely to shoot anything as light as 40s. I'd be ecstatic if it shot VMax in the 50-60 range, though. The loads I've tried have all been 69 SMKs I loaded and 75 FMJ factory loads which I ordered with the upper. I've only been able to shoot the gun twice and I think it's going to do pretty well now that the scope mount is tightened up properly. I filed a complaint with the guy who installed it. I have to drive an hour and a half to shoot on a 200 yard range and won't go down there on weekends. It may be a while before I get to shoot it again. Since I last shot it, I've installed a muzzle brake. The recoil was not significant by any stretch but I'm hoping for rimfire-like recoil with the brake.

RTH, I bought the 18" more or less on a impulse because it was on sale at the time I ordered it. I'd rather have the 20", which went on sale for the same money two weeks later, but I think the 18" is going to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.