Two Leopold scopes for the price of one. - Varmints Den

Varmints Den     Our Sponsors     Tech Section    AR-15 Tech Section    
Classifieds     Forums     Upcoming Events     Bull Shooters Gun Chat    Advertise With Us

Go Back   Varmints Den > Varmints Den Classifieds > Optics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2020, 10:20 AM

Doug Roberts is on a distinguished road
Default Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Yeah, kind of got suspicious when the poster can't spell Leupold, and like you mentioned. Brand new member-first post is a really good deal-can't respond to a request for a picture of the serial numbers. Not even a quick note to respond.

Screams SCAMMER in any language you want to name.
Slight misspellings are a typical counterfeiter's trick. Leopold (as in this ad) vs Leupold would run me off even if the seller's first post didn't. The only reason Leopold vs Leupold would work is because lots of people don't know how it's spelled to begin with. Until I heard somebody pronouncing it "Loopold", I had never paid attention.

Counterfeiters have gotten pretty good on some items. Most people just take the bait when the seller tells 'em the watch is a Rolex, for example. I know a retired cop who says he collects Rolex watches. Claims he buys them at flea markets. Uh.........I don't think so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTqC2Yxxs

If it's a known brand name, somebody is counterfeiting it. Often our good friends in China. Several of the top brands of golf clubs have full-time employees whose job it is to run down the sellers of knock-off clubs. They look identical and the average golfer can't tell the difference in performance but the price is often a dead give-away. When I was assembling golf clubs as a hobby, all the club heads I used were cast or forged in China and were good enough for the average player. They were not actual counterfeits. They didn't label or market them as brand name clubs but they were close design copies. When I quit, I was told there was a warehouse in New York full of iron heads called Tour Model II impounded by US Customs as a patent infringement. I probably assembled a dozen sets of them over the years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Varmints Den forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in