Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Cape York pig hunt

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kevin.rodwell@bigpond.com 
#1 ·
G/day everybody just back from a week up in the top end of Queensland in our Cape York area. I was actually about 500+klms from the top of Australia on a station that was in comparison to the place next door about 300,000acres compared to next door that is 1.1million acres(not a misprint I assure you).

I got my PB on a pig with the hooks measuring 29 Douglas points neat that I shot at around 5 yds as it came out from under a fallen tree's roots in a creek bed with my Marlin 45/70 loaded with 405gn Speer SP's. It was a great week away in a bush camp with 2 other blokes off the Australian hunting forum I'm on and guided by a good young bloke and his dad.

I shot probably 5-6 boars and a sow by mistake as they only wanted the boars shot as the sows bring the big boars in but in the heat of battle when a pig busts out from under your feet and you have only seconds to react things happen..
The 2 other blokes also wanted a good representative scrub bull head each so they got those as well.

I'll do a better story a bit later but for the moment here's a pic of the boar I nailed with the 45/70,

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Not wrong especially when things happen in a split second. I belted 1 very big sow that came out from under a bank under cut and hit her with the 45/70 around 10 yd mark but didn't see the boar that made his getaway just before the action started but the guide did and he reckoned it was a real good boar with an exceptional set of hooks.

#9 ·
Sorry about the late reply have been away for the last 10 days in our North replacing poles that were burnt to the ground in a big bushfire only got home yesterday.

We reckoned the 1st boar wasn't in real good condition as his front teeth were almost worn down so a rough guess was around 50- 60kgs the 2nd boar roughly around the 80kg+ mark.

#10 ·
Just a bit more to add to this yarn.....................while up there the guide's dad was also guiding with us as well and makes knives as a hobby.
He started a bit of a competition up there with whoever scored the biggest set of hooks won one of his knives.
One of the other blokes scored the same length set of hooks as I did and although it didn't worry me who won what I let the other bloke have the knife as I was just happy to get a PB on a pig PLUS I ticked the bucket list of nailing a couple of Cape York grunters.
Anyway Ted(the guide's dad) who also writes a lot of articles for some of the hunting mags here in Australia said he'd make me a knife just for being generous to which I told him he didn't have to as I was happy with what I'd done but he insisted and this is what he made for me.

It's a good fit in my hand and will make a good skinning knife.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.