Reamer throat length - Varmints Den

Varmints Den     Our Sponsors     Tech Section    AR-15 Tech Section    
Classifieds     Forums     Upcoming Events     Bull Shooters Gun Chat    Advertise With Us

Go Back   Varmints Den > Discussion Area > Reloading Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 05-11-2019, 12:06 PM

KK is on a distinguished road
Default Reamer throat length

I'm going to have a new reamer made for 22 BRX I hope to shoot 75 or 80g ELD-x bullets. I put together a couple of dummy rounds 1 of both. With the top of the boatail .10 below the neck shoulder junction I came up with these figures. Base to ogive on the 75g was 1.740 and the 80g was 1.784. minus the case length of 1.560 leaves throat length for the 75s at .180 and the 80g at .224. this seems kind of long to me. Am I missing something or do I need more bullet in the case? Thanks for any input. KK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 AM

ShaneG. is on a distinguished road

Those numbers do seem long to me but I'm no expert. I would say call a reamer manufacturer of your choice and speak with them or send the dummy rounds. Last reamer I bought had a short throat and I got a throating reamer to adjust it right where I wanted it.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Maggieze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneG. View Post
Those numbers do seem long to me but I'm no expert. I would say call a reamer manufacturer of your choice and speak with them or send the dummy rounds. Last reamer I bought had a short throat and I got a throating reamer to adjust it right where I wanted it.
+1
Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Paul Workman is on a distinguished road
Garage

Many (BR) rifles shoot best with the bullet seated a couple tho INTO the lands.

The following is a condensation of a conversation I had with Shillen (over 20 years ago) regarding this exact topic:

With that in mind, I'd start with the lightest bullet I'd ever intend to shoot in that barrel in a match. Then, seat a bullet just deep enough to where it won't accidentally be extracted from the case when attempting to pull an unfired round from the chamber, and use that base to ogive measurement as a basis for MAXIMUM throat length.

Then, consider what would reduce this initial starting point, such as having to chase the lands as the throat wears AND the fact that the sweet spot for seating depth might prove to be as much as .050+" off the lands.

The result of these considerations will ADD to the bullet seating depth (reducing the throat length by equal amount) - not necessarily a bad thing except for reducing case capacity slightly. Use that as your spec to your guy/gal grinding your reamer(s).

Lots of BR shooters here. Opinions may vary.

"You can't miss 'em fast enough to kill 'em!"

"There's no part of shooting more expensive than cheap glass!" Rick Fox

"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do what no one can imagine"... Alan Turing

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot. Better to be to short than to long in this case. Have a great rest of the weekend.

Last edited by KK; 05-12-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Paul Workman is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK View Post
Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot. Better to be to short than to long in this case. Have a great rest of the weekend.
It has been the collective opinion and experiences expressed on THIS FORUM over the years that has helped me choose bullets and powders and calibers more than anything else. Stuff I've learned from the people here has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in my enjoyment and successes when it comes to precision shooting.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 AM

The same goes for me too. Thanks again to all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Varmints Den forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in