Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Ruger 77/17 .17 WSM and Some Prairie Dogs

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  orkan 
#1 ·
I needed a cheap rifle for some companions that I didn't have to reload for. I ordered a Ruger 77/17 in .17 WSM to try out. So far it's been quite fun. The factory trigger was unsurprisingly terrible, so I replaced the sear with Timney and the trigger with the Rifle Basix. Now it's quite nice, and how triggers should be from the factory. I'll definitely be looking for a new stock for it, as the sporter it ships with has terrible ergos.

I stuck a cheapo vortex PST genII on top and it works well enough.

Pretty gusty 15-20mph day when I took these pictures, but during a pause in the wind I was able to connect with a couple out at 275yds. Killed them flat dead. Also got a double, pictured below. Surprising that these little 17's can penetrate like that.

Here's an average 100yd group it will produce. Not great, not horrible. Maybe if someone would start making some decent ammo for them, we'll get to see what this cartridge is really capable of.

See less See more
#4 ·
It's a Really Right Stuff (RRS) TVC-23 with BH-40 and Vyce. I have 4 RRS setups and they are all I would ever recommend. The 2 series is good up to about an 18lb rifle, after that I'd go with the 3 series and the BH-55. My 375 Cheytac weighs right around 40lbs and it's right at home on a 3 series with 55 head.

The 23 with BH-40 and direct mount is my primary hunting setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.