Barramundi fishing trip and cyclones - Page 2 - Varmints Den

Varmints Den     Our Sponsors     Tech Section    AR-15 Tech Section    
Classifieds     Forums     Upcoming Events     Bull Shooters Gun Chat    Advertise With Us

Go Back   Varmints Den > Discussion Area > Aquatic Varmints - Fishing and Water Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2019, 03:20 PM

Maggieze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper6L View Post
Got an old saying here, "Wind from the East, fishing the least. Wind from the West, fishing the best". Guess it works like that there too. Best of luck on the trip. Just remember that any day fishing is better than any day at work. Hope you catch many more than you want, just remember to leave a few for seed! Looking forward to pics.
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 AM

kevin.rodwell@bigpond.com is on a distinguished road

Well we came, we saw and I think we had a few wins.

Fishing was hard as the Northern Territory had a shocker of a Wet Season and that impacts on the fishing especially the Barramundi who spend a lot of time up in the rivers and creeks and need the Wet to unlock the many 1000's of creeks and billabongs to let the Barramundi travel back to the sea.

I did however manage to nail a personnel best Barramundi of 77.5cm an improvement of 14cm over my last Barramundi but it cost me a lure as he smashed the bib wrecking the lure.

The daytime temps up there now are around the 35C as this is now the start of the Dry season.

This is my Barramundi. We also caught Blue Salmon, Black Jewfish, Golden Trevally and Fingermark Bream plus the 2 mates that were up there with us nailed a few Barramundi, Blue Salmon, Fingermark Bream and Trevally plus a few good Queenfish and a couple of Black tip reef sharks which ended up as fish and chips with copious amounts of beer.

My b-I-l tied into something big which he fought for probably 30 minutes before it finally busted him off. We reckon it was either a big Cod or Groper around the 40kg+ mark. The b-I-l would get 5 metres of line back and whatever it was would take 10 metres back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KAB.1.jpg (183.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg KAB.6.jpg (238.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg KAB.10.jpg (197.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:21 PM

Trapper6L is on a distinguished road

Looks like a winning trip to me. I've got the bug to go back to the Gulf of Mexico to put a few in the freezer. Kingfish, Ling Cod, Tuna, Red Snapper are on the hit list. When I was a kid my dad and I would go down to Port Aransas Tx every April thru May for Gaftop. That's a gulf water catfish that's a dark silver/gray on top and silver/white on the bottom. They get averagely about as long from your elbow to the tip of your fingers. They fight like a mule too. Extra fun when you have 2 on the same pole. WE fish with squid for bait. I've got the itch and it needs major scratching.
Don't know if ya'll get the program Jeremy Wades Dark Waters but his last show was out of Australia. The program was named "Return of the Outback Beast". Apparently there was a cod that was thought to be extinct, fished out and I'm assuming it was a freshwater fish. Unbeknownst to most folks, they have been farm raising these fish and returning them back to the rivers. Pretty interesting show. He claims these cod are known for size and are aggressive. All that in a fish that can hit 6 feet in length. If you watch internet TV, here's a link to a list of video providers. Thanks for the pics. Love it!
https://www1.swatchseries.to/episode...ers_s1_e3.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 04:45 AM

kevin.rodwell@bigpond.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper6L View Post
Looks like a winning trip to me. I've got the bug to go back to the Gulf of Mexico to put a few in the freezer. Kingfish, Ling Cod, Tuna, Red Snapper are on the hit list. When I was a kid my dad and I would go down to Port Aransas Tx every April thru May for Gaftop. That's a gulf water catfish that's a dark silver/gray on top and silver/white on the bottom. They get averagely about as long from your elbow to the tip of your fingers. They fight like a mule too. Extra fun when you have 2 on the same pole. WE fish with squid for bait. I've got the itch and it needs major scratching.
Don't know if ya'll get the program Jeremy Wades Dark Waters but his last show was out of Australia. The program was named "Return of the Outback Beast". Apparently there was a cod that was thought to be extinct, fished out and I'm assuming it was a freshwater fish. Unbeknownst to most folks, they have been farm raising these fish and returning them back to the rivers. Pretty interesting show. He claims these cod are known for size and are aggressive. All that in a fish that can hit 6 feet in length. If you watch internet TV, here's a link to a list of video providers. Thanks for the pics. Love it!
https://www1.swatchseries.to/episode...ers_s1_e3.html
If it was a freshwater fish that big it would be a Murray Cod. The Murray Cod is our biggest freshwater predator and have been known to grow to 50kg+ and can be very aggressive especially on surface lures early morning or at night.
They hit the lure or bait like a tank no tap,tap,tap just a solid hit and they will take line.
They will take possums, ducks, galahs(Aussie parrot) mice, rats,lizards basically anything that falls in the water or is sitting on a fallen tree in the water with a branch just in the water. They slow down during Winter but can be seen on warm Winter days sunning themselves on the surface or in shallow water.
My best is an 80cm Cod that smashed my lure nearly pulling the rod out of my hands while trolling.
Most fisho's catch and release them and there is a closed season and size limits on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Varmints Den forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in