Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About once per year I make a post about this cartridge. It is the 357 Rem Max necked down to 17cal. I love the 357 Max and would like a 17 based on the same case. Does any one shoot this round? Know where I can find more info on it? Load info, ballistics, case dimensions etc??? TIA

I guess what I really need is case dimensions. Can I rechamber a 17 Rem into a 17 Baker Max?

·
Registered
84 Posts
gary,

i seem to recall 17/357 max yet under a different name other than "Baker max". Post this same ? over on Saubier.com as someone will likely provide you with the info. you're looking for.

CB <*)))>{

·
Registered
187 Posts
.17 Baker Max

I'm not familiar with this particular wildcat,but have necked down a lot of .357
Max brass to .22 for my .222 Rimmed TC.
The brass ends up about 1.63 long after necking to .22.
.17 Rem is longer so barrel would have to be set back.
you could have barrel set back 2 threads (.125) and trim 17 rem dies the same amount and have a .17 Rem rimmed.
BTW my brass doesnt last more than 6-8 firings (split necks)
Dave in IN

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
219DW, thanks for the info. I guess what really interests me about this round is a rimmed 17cal with case capacity around the 17Rem or maybe a bit more. I will keep your info in mind if/when I do build one like this.

·
Registered
478 Posts
11th edition of Handloader's Digest...

Has good discussion of necking .357 down to 22 Sabre, 219 Thor cartridges.......you might enjoy the read.........l. r. If you don't have the book, I can tell you where you can buy it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's basically a rimmed 14MachIV or maybe a little larger like the 17 Havelina. The 223Rem has the same head dimensions as the 357 Magnum/Maximum but that rim may present extractor rework problems depending on which bolt gun your planning to convert. I would not waste time with it in a bolt action but a TC barrel has some merit. The 17Maximum offers nothing over the 17MachIV up to 17 Remington. However, I, myself, have many wildcats that don't 'make sense' but do appeal to my personal taste and logic. Go for it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rimmed Wildcats

I like your idea of a rimmed wildcat although I would go with a .20 cal now.
Ihave shot a .17 Mach IV on PD's for 6 years with 20 gr V-max at 4150 fps.
shoots flat and gets there in a hurry but not much energy past 300 yds.
I'm trying 25 V-max next year,shot some last Fridayfor the first time.
My next project will be .204 wasp. Ruger #1
If you haven't decided on an action for your project yet, i would suggest looking at Ruger #1 or #3 OR TC for a rimmed case.
I shoot 3 Rugers and several TC's
My long time favorite #3 is in .219 wasp.
Shilen select match SS barrel 27'' 14'' twist #7 contour
Ruger #1 wood
Kiplinger set trigger
longest Pd shot 665 yds
also have #3 in .224BRM (.300 longer wasp)
#1 wood
set trigger
#1 .225 Win
The Rugers shoot real well,after a little work and testing and look real sharp.
Dave in IN

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am currently shooting a T/C Encore hence my desire for a rimmed 17cal. I know about 20cal cartridges but for some reason I never considered one until you suggested it. What 20cal rimmed cartridge do you know about.

·
Registered
187 Posts
.17 & .20 rimmed cases

Small Caliber News magazine has had articles on these cases recently.
This mag is must reading for varmint shooters.
.17 Ackley Hornet Vol 3 #2 Vol 9 #1
.17 Ackley Bee Vol 4 #1
.17 HeBee Vol 3 #4
.20 Ackley Hornet Vol 5#3
.20 Ackley Bee Vol 6 #4 in TC carbine
.20 Classic Vol 6 #2 (30-30 case 1.61 long 35 degree)
These are all medium velocity (3400-3800) except for .20 Classic which shoots 4000 fps with 32 gr.
If you don't get this mag you can call (330) 897-0614 for back issues.
Talk to Tod Kindler, the Classic series are his creations.
If you really want to use .357 Max brass for your Encore,then you could get a barrel from Bullberry,Virgin Valley,EABCO,or Fox Ridge Outfitters(TC Custom Shop) in one of these cal.
.17 Mach IV 1.400 case length
.20 Vartarg " " "
.17 Javelina 1.530 " "
Anyone with a lathe or mill can machine a .440 dia. x .055 deep clearance for
.357 Max rim.
You can modify extractor to fit or get on for .357 Mag-Max barrel.
I've done this on my .222 rimmed and .300 whisper rimmed barrels.
One step further would be to have .17 Mach IV or .20 VT chamber lengthened
to 1.6 with .17 or .20 Tactical reamer for more case capacity.
The more you get into Wildcatting the more complicated and more expensive it gets, I guess thats why we love it.
Dave in IN

·
Registered
387 Posts
About once per year I make a post about this cartridge. It is the 357 Rem Max necked down to 17cal. I love the 357 Max and would like a 17 based on the same case. Does any one shoot this round? Know where I can find more info on it? Load info, ballistics, case dimensions etc??? TIA

I guess what I really need is case dimensions. Can I rechamber a 17 Rem into a 17 Baker Max?
I thought the problem with the 22 hornet was the rim. What is the advantage in the rim?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the problem with the 22 hornet was the rim. What is the advantage in the rim?
The advantage of a rim is mostly in single shots like the T/C Encore or Contender for easier extraction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
another advantage is the rim adds additional strength if you happen to be shooting at the upper limits and in a strong action like a #1. I shoot a rimmed 17 Mach IV and luv it!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another advantage is the rim adds additional strength if you happen to be shooting at the upper limits and in a strong action like a #1. I shoot a rimmed 17 Mach IV and luv it!!!
What case do you use for the rimmed 17 MachIV? Sounds interesting.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gary

It's not the 357 Max but another one to consider is the 17-32 Jet case that Dick Saunders developed. It is a 22 Jet case blown out. Case dimension are like a 357 Mag and his rimmed. I had one in a Contender w/15" barrel and it would do 3500 fps. In a rifle, it will easily do 4000+. Really efficient, 18 grains of powder, and is a very strong case. Case length is around 1.285-1.300", has a 32 degree shoulder and minimal taper...ideal for a single shot.

Take a look at this link and you can see the Jet and the Max cases SxS.http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/caseswanted.html

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, thanks for the info and the link. Looks like I will look at and consider the 17-22 Jet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gary

If you need any additional info on the 17 Jet let me know. It is a fun little 17, but I should warn you there is alot of case prep. But the upside is the cases seem to last a long time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmmmm........ not sure if I want to do a bunch of case prep. I will be doing a bit more research on this, right now I think I will be sticking with building a 17 Baker Max or equivalent based on the Max case. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I will be sticking with building a 17 Baker Max or equivalent based on the Max case
Gary

From what I understand is the 17 baker max requires alot of case prep. I think it is probably worse in that you have to continuely neck it down with dies... taking it from .357 to .172.

As for the 17 jet, it has to be reduced from .224-.172 but this is very easy with a double ended die. Then it has to be fireform.

To me taking a 22 jet case and necking it down is easier than necking down a 357 max case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts