Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the older Remington 25 grain [mini hollow point] Power Lokt bullet do well on coyotes? I'm wondering how my 17 Ackley Hornet will do loaded with these pills. Looks like the farm I deer hunt on will be visited with a FoxPro soon,,and wondering if I could use the 17AH with 'tougher' bullets on yotes,,or just take the .250 SAI and know for sure?

·
Registered
116 Posts
17 Rem HP

I have shot several coyotes with that old bullet from both a 17 Rem & a 17/223. They seemed to work about like the Hornady 25 gr. HP. I would sure like to find some more of them for the 17/223.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
The guys over on Coyote Gods like the Berger Match 25gr, not the MEF/Varmint style. Using 17MIV or 17 Rem, they say it enters, but does not exit, and turns the insides to jelly. Not used it on coyotes myself, but they usually have good advice.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Bullets

Mr. Channing Nagel builds .17 cal bullets in three weights. They were Mr. Starke's dies. They were built by Bill Niemi. He advertises here and on Sabier. His number is (208)267-2860. He has been building bullets like crazy lately and has a few in stock. I use them exclusively in my .17 Remington and I can vouch for their accuracy. Chan sure has killed a lot of coyotes and gophers with them. Give him a call he can answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Alan, as you know, bullet performance at the mild velocities your .17AH produces is probably going to be quite a bit different than what is seen using the .17 Mach IV or .17 Rem. velocites. I've never used those old Rem. 25's myself, but know them only by reputation, so I can only speculate. They do have a reputation for hanging together though. So I'd expect penetration would not be an issue, but expansion "might" (or might not...).

If you are confident of being able to place your shots, the .17AH with those bullets will kill coyotes, no sweat. If you want to make sure they don't take a step after being hit, I'd favor high chest over the heart shot. Coyotes shot in the heart with .17's have a tendency to do what I call the "death sprint". They'll run for 30 yards or so like they aren't even hit, before piling up dead. The higher hits usually just drop in their tracks. I'm speaking of broadside shots only, and .17 caliber hits specifically.

If you aren't collecting the fur, noise isn't an issue, and you just want to make sure they are DRT, your '250AI is some wicked potent coyote medicine.

- DAA

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Alan, as you know, bullet performance at the mild velocities your .17AH produces is probably going to be quite a bit different than what is seen using the .17 Mach IV or .17 Rem. velocites. I've never used those old Rem. 25's myself, but know them only by reputation, so I can only speculate. They do have a reputation for hanging together though. So I'd expect penetration would not be an issue, but expansion "might" (or might not...).

If you are confident of being able to place your shots, the .17AH with those bullets will kill coyotes, no sweat. If you want to make sure they don't take a step after being hit, I'd favor high chest over the heart shot. Coyotes shot in the heart with .17's have a tendency to do what I call the "death sprint". They'll run for 30 yards or so like they aren't even hit, before piling up dead. The higher hits usually just drop in their tracks. I'm speaking of broadside shots only, and .17 caliber hits specifically.

If you aren't collecting the fur, noise isn't an issue, and you just want to make sure they are DRT, your '250AI is some wicked potent coyote medicine.

- DAA

·
Registered
617 Posts
Alan--Many years ago, back in the late 1980s, I tried those old 25 gr. Remington HP bullets for coyotes in my .17 Remington. I WAS NOT favorably impressed with them on coyotes. For me, they performed more like a solid jacketed bullet--lots of penetration and little or no expansion which equalled lots of run-away coyotes. I abandoned them and now use the old 30 gr. Starke Red Prairie Varmint style bullets. As was mentioned in an earlier post, C.E. Nagel makes these same bullets. They have performed flawlessly for me on coyotes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Alan,
I guess experiences differ on these but I used the Rem. HP's with great success when I was hunting an AR chambered in .17 Rem. I made shots from 15 yds. to 165 yds. with that rifle and the Power Locks performed very well with never an exit. I was loading these to 3800-3900 fps. so I'm not sure of what might happen at your lower velocities. The only bad experience I had with that .17 was with the Hornaday HP's. On a 25 yd. chest shot, it made a hole in the hide that you could put your fist through but it was a poor kill with no penetration. HTH

·
Registered
877 Posts
How do you feel that the 30g work compared to 25g on killing coyotes? I have a 17 Rem I am going to use more on coyotes. I have been 25g Bergers and have only shot 2 coyotes with it so far. Going to try 30g Bergers more or maybe other brands also. Hard to give up the Swift. Darrel

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
We've been using the Hornady bullets, both 25 gr. Vmax's & the 25 gr. HP's and are finding that the HP seems to get down deeper into the Coyotes vitals at longer ranges like around 350 yds. 12.3 gr. of T-680 gives both of these bullets around 3450 fps. It's a beautiful pelt cartridge! Godsdog.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How do you feel that the 30g work compared to 25g on killing coyotes? Darrel
For the larger capacity .17 cases like the .17 Rem, I really like the 30's. Although, honestly, the old Berger 25 gr. Match in the .17 Rem is one of the all time proven fur friendly .17 caliber coyote killing performers. Might come down to what an individual barrel likes, or maybe local conditions. In the .17 Mach IV, I prefer the 25 Berger Match. In the .17 Predator, which has a good bit more capacity than the .17 Rem, it's 30 gr. bullets all the way.

For smaller capacity cases, like Alan's .17AH, I would not use anything heavier than a 25 gr., and would give serious consideration to 20 or 22 gr. bullets.

Just for grins... Here is a short video clip of a few coyotes getting shot by my .17P with 30 gr. Golds (Kindler).

- DAA

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Rem 25 Power Lokt worked great on....

a bobcat sized varmint [!]. Entry hole,,,jello soup inside,,no exit! Chest shot.
But,,,I have all the parts ready to hack into a 17 Mach IV. I'm going to use the well tested minimal spec reamer [live pilot] that a friend has. Pac Nor #5 in an H S Precision CZ Kevlar stock.
If I was doing it over,,I think I would have gotten a #4,,this #5 is a bit heavy. I won't really know until its all together.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
30's

Remembered I have a box of Berger 30 gr MEFs in the shop. My 17AH is VERY accurate with these and the 'Gold' 30s I tried.
HOWEVER, last nite we turned the PacNor 3 groove stainless Match 9"twist barrel to final diameter for my CZ action. It was very nice as a .221FireBall, but I wanted to build a Mach IV.
Sooooo,,,I'm thinking of trying these 30 MEFs in the 17 Mach IV for yotes,,,,what think?
Should have the Mach IV finished very soon.
And no,,,I didn't want to wait on a 17 Rem Fireball reamer. The Mach IV reamer has been tested and proven to cut great chambers. Guess I'll still have a "wildcat" with my 17 Mach IV. And I'll probably always use 221 cases so no one puts one marked '17 Rem Fireball' that has been in my rifle,,in their 17 factory chamber.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Alan, I have shot several yotes with my 17 AH......

23 1/2g Low drag bullet with a small HP. One yote at 100 yard was a frontal shot droped like a stone, the other shot was at 10 yards, lung shot, the coyote ran 125 yards and piled up, the 23 1/2g bullet was traveling 3500 fps.

We shot the barrels out of four 700 Rem's shooting the 25g Rem HP at p. dogs. They are a fairly tough bullet, we often saw bullets zinging across the p. dog town after they had gone through the p. dog.

I think that if you were to work up a load with Rem or Berger 25's (not MEF)with N-120 instead of 1680, you will have a viable yote rifle. I worked up a load of 12.2g of N-120 with a cci- br4 with the 20's and they were going 3800 out of my 20" barrel, which is 150 fps faster than my load with AA 1680. I felt as if the primer pockets would get loose after 2-3 firings, but in the case of hunting yotes, the N-120 will make 100-150 fps+ more than the AA 1680 which I think that I remember you using.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts