Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which manufacturers chamber rifles in 17 Fireball? If there is no current production where might I find a new old stock rifle? I hesitate to buy used since it is seldom that anyone sells a great shooting rifle.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Not sure any more, but Cooper might still chamber a rifle in 17FB. Both Remington and Savage did at one time, but when Remington dumped on 17 FB and 17 Remington a few years ago, they disappeared. You may be able to pick up a used rifle, or rechamber an action, but it is slim pickings today for new. I don't have a 17FB, but I have Sako L461s in 17 Remington and 17 Mach IV, and they both are great. You might find a CZ527 Varmint in 17 Rem, and have a smith rechamber it to a 17FB. Nothing will be inexpensive anymore.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I have a CZ 527 in .221 FB. I think they make a run of them every so often. I am not prejudice but must disclose that I have 4 CZ 527's. Pretty good shooters right out of the box. The latest (221FB) needed a little work with a fine stone to smooth up the action. I just knocked off the sharp edges and the bolt guide rail. Factory loads were way less then minute of woodchuck.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I know this isn't what you asked. However, a better choice, if you have a Remington with a 223 bolt face, might be a Criterion or Shilen prefit. It will almost certainly shoot better than a factory Remington, which had problems with a number of barrels. The CZ is also a good choice, but again, the cheapest, most accurate choice would be one of the prefits.

Rick

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I want to note that mounting a scope on a 527 can be a PITA. The have an odd shape / sized rail. I use BKL mounts with good results. You have to watch the size of the ocular on the scope because of bolt clearance. This is alleviated with the newer models with then new shaped bolt handle. CZ offers a replacement handle to give you more clearance. Also there is lots of advice online to help you. My favorite Vx II. (Now discontinued) Small ocular and 40 mm front allows close to bore mounting and it is a decent power for the caliber. There are other short action calibers available.

The rimfire models are very good. With a little fiddling I can give an Anschuts fits at the bench. I can beat them but they get a decent case of heartburn fro a rifle that costs about 1/3 of an Annie. They are ammo picky.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Northlander

Northland Shooters Supply lists Shilen barrels in .17 Fireball. I have a Savage M12 that was a .308 when I bought it used. Changed the barrel and bolt face, added a single-shot adapter and there you have it. Julie's Savage was rebarreled from a .223 so nothing else needed changing. We really like the little Fireballs. The bad news is brass is next to impossible to find. It can be made from .223 brass but I haven't reached that point yet.

If I was just now starting with a .17 centerfire, I would take a look at the .17 Hornady Hornet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts