Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who Is Making These Just Remington Or Others In Mach Iv Anybody Got Input????????????

·
Registered
142 Posts
Remington is the only maunfacturer I can find #'s(4 models so far) on, so far. I'm sure Savage, CZ, Ruger, etc. will follow if the market demands it. Bill

·
Registered
303 Posts
Supposedly they are ballistically the same as a Mk IV. So what is going to be the benefit added here?

Same bullets weights, same speeds, less powder, maybe less fouling of a barrel. What is being accomplished that is going to make it worth chasing cause it's better that what is already being marketed? It's still going to be a fur friendly round on a coyote(although a little light) and tear a fox up bad at close range.

Somebody enlighten me! Why should I buy one?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Factory cases for the 17 Fireball ?

The availability of factory cases would cause me to consider one.

I've previously owned a Mach IV and liked it but got tired of making cases from the 221 FB.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 17M4 is my "go-to" gun in the prairie dog towns. It NEVER get left home in the safe. The perfect rat gun in my opinion, but then I haven't shot the 20 VT yet. It's good to see Remington going commercial with it.

As for the added benefit...you can get into shooting one for $600 vs the cost of a custom gun.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I posted this question on the Wildcat Board as well. Will the new Remington factory 17-221 rounds be interchangeable with 17MK4 chambers?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Bill in F

I saw a picture and thought the neck looked a little longer, and they said it was the same, but I don't know. Art

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
What it might do...............

is cause a guy some thought. That is........ a guy who has never had a .17 centerfire and does have an "extra" Savage .223 in the safe. That factory- case-availability thing would be a plus, too. HMMMMMM............ "Same bullets weights, same speeds, less powder, maybe less fouling of a barrel" ............ HMMMMM! Sounds like Right, Left, Ace, King, Queen to me!

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sonny A 17 Cal is great

Why should I be excited by the 17 FireBall. Well, I have a 17 Remington (well my oldest daughter has claimed it and has possession of it) anyway I have a younger daughter who is interested in shooting and is sorta wanting to go coyote hunting with me. So yes I am happy about the Fire ball, Same thing will probably happen she will claim it and use it. However, I will have one more hunting partner. Also, once you shoot a 17 you will be amazed how much you all of a sudden enjoy hunting the coyote. You actually see the bullet hit. MY thoughts, Ghost

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sonny, Sonny, Sonny, tsk, tsk, tsk......... Those of us who've wanted a Mach IV for quite awhile, but didn't want to get into neck turning and case forming, high priced dies, etc. are now going to get the chance to see what that fine little cartridge is all about, without those headaches, and WORK. Now, I ask you, what could be better than that? THAT is why lots of folks are interested. The .17 Remington is a bit much of a good thing, for a Seventeen, and like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the Mach IV is just right.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
What Doug and Glenn said. I wanted a 17MachIV for years, but never got one because I didn't want all the brass forming. I bought a 17 Rem instead, when the right deal came along. I like it a lot. I will still gladly buy a 17 Fireball when they surface, especially when CZ jumps on board in a 527.

·
Registered
262 Posts
there is one aspect of this no one has mentioned, salability of your current 17mach 4, if the two cases are the same. the potential purchasers for a mach 4before the 17 remington fb was a small group of enthusiast in the upper 1 of the pyramid. the advent of the 17 remington fireball increases the potential buyers for a pre-17 rem fb by 10 fold, that's a lot more buyers.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am just hoping to use the new 17FB cases in my Mach4 weapons
Ken

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Supposedly they are ballistically the same as a Mk IV. So what is going to be the benefit added here?

Same bullets weights, same speeds, less powder, maybe less fouling of a barrel. What is being accomplished that is going to make it worth chasing cause it's better that what is already being marketed? It's still going to be a fur friendly round on a coyote(although a little light) and tear a fox up bad at close range.

Somebody enlighten me! Why should I buy one?
If you already have a 17 Mach IV (17M4) you will no longer have to form and anneal you own brass - you will be able to buy it in bulk ready to load or (if you're like me) sort and prep. But, if you simply don't have a 17M4, you are in for a treat!!! It is a fantastic little round, proven and legitimized now by Remington adopting it as a factory round.

One more big factor to some: Because the case is so small, plus/minus .2 grains or a (typical) ES of .4 gn from a powder thrower is a LOT of variation to a load of around 17-20 gn of powder (percentage variation of the total charge, that is). This means for best accuracy one has to weigh all the charges for the little 17. Unless one has a lot of time and patience, weighing 100s of rounds for a PD forray can get a bit tedious for sure! Factory ammo will allow the shooters to avoid handloading all together and still enjoy this fantastic little caliber (if they can afford factory ammo that is!);)

HTH,

P.

·
Registered
876 Posts
To Paul Workman and others

Of course if you have a RCBS Chargemaster or other of its ilk; problem solved. Push a button and BAM you got a charge ready to drop. Makes loading fun again! Now I just wish I had a room of helpers for brass prep!:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tsk-Tsk-Tsk

Glenn, don't get me wrong. I know eventually I will probably try one. I've tried everything else. BUT! I am from Missouri (originally), so you gotta "Show me". They will probably still need to be slowed down for fox though I am sure.

I truly wish Remington the best on this venture, that's for sure. But I will wait and see.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Of course if you have a RCBS Chargemaster or other of its ilk; problem solved. Push a button and BAM you got a charge ready to drop. Makes loading fun again! Now I just wish I had a room of helpers for brass prep!:D
Good point.;) If one was to load 100s of those iddy biddy cases, and or 221 Fireball or the 20 Fireball, I can see one of dem dar thingies being reeeeeal handy yup-yup! [sigh]...Something ELSE I need to buy someday, I recon!:eek:

P.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Remington missing boat

Personally don't understand why they did not go with the 20cal. Their the hottest thing going now. Defiintely like new board. Thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I want one of each, .17 and .20, if Remington is smart enough to follow on with the series. It WOULD be following their normal way of doing cartridge intros, the Ultra Mags, SAUMs, WSMs, and WSSMs, but are they bright enough?

Sonny, I'm originally a Missourian, too, Chariton County. It's a good place to be from.

·
Registered
303 Posts
"Sonny, I'm originally a Missourian, too, Chariton County. It's a good place to be from."[/QUOTE]

Glenn

You're right! I left there about 34 years ago or so. Laclede County, Lebanon to be more exact.

My wish list is a 17 or 20 Hornet, factory gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts