Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all; great site! first post here. Tomorrow I'm ordering an Encore barrel from Match Grade Machine in 17 M4. The rifle will be for PD's. The bullet I would like to use is the 25 gr. Hornady V-max. A buddy said the 25 gr. V-max is one of the best performers ( explosive ) for PD's. He said he wasn't sure what twist to go to but the bullet was fairly long and I might have to go with a 1 in 9. Do any of you have any experance with this bullet?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have a 10 twist in my Mach IV and the 25g Vmax keyholes. I would get the 9 twist.

Mike

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
NINE inch twist,,,

I've shot 15 Bergers to 30 Golds and Bergers in my 17 Ack Hnt with SUPER accuracy.
Went the 9 inch twist route in my new PacNor 17 Mach IV, too.
I would only consider an even faster twist if not the 9 twist. 8"??

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
To get a bullet to stablize you must spin it fast enough. The longer the bullet the faster you must spin it. Befor you start loseing accuracy because it`s spinning to fast you must increase the spin rate quite abit over the minimum. For that reason it is best to error on the to fast a twist rate that to go with a twist rate that is to slow.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Not much to add, 'cept...

You're gonna love the 17 Mach IV on PDs! I have a 10 twist and I'm told the 25 V-max has keyholing issues in some 10s, but the Kindler and Berger 25s are stabilized in some 10s. However, the 20 V-Max works veeeeery well in mine. So, I would go w/ the 9 twist to shoot the 25s, especially if you have designs on the 30s too.

But, here's a thought...A 10 twist and 20s will do a number on PDs too, and it will have a little less recoil - almost NO recoil jump = get to see your "terminal performance" clearly.

Enjoy!

P.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the 9 twist this afternoon. I thought about the 10 twist for awhile. I like the idea of light bullets, low recoil and watching your hits.Soooo----------after the dust settles around here a little bit, I think a 17 Ackley Hornet is in order!
Thanks Guys
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.