Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the Mach 2 was extinct. Much to my surprise the local farm and ranch store has about 1000 rounds of new box style hornady on the shelf, at $8 a box.

Always thought it would be a little rabbit killing machine.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Long live Mach 2

It's not dead around here. I just sold a Marlin 917M2S but I've got two more Mach 2 guns. One is a converted 10/22 and the other is a converted Ruger Charger. A couple of the original Rugermites can testify to the accuracy of the Charger. I have 3 bricks of ammo and I suspect one of the guns will go to SD this year.

Ammo shows up at the online retailers every now and then but, when you see it in stock, you'd better buy it. It usually doesn't last but a few hours.

Example: I just checked at 9:45 Sunday and it was in stock here.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/974425/hornady-varmint-express-ammunition-17-hornady-mach-2-hm2-17-grain-v-max-box-of-50

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Not dead, just at the bottom of the food chain. It was about twelve months after the election of Trump 45 before .22LR got back to being both plentiful and 5¢ a round. And that only came about three months ago. Based on how many rifles were sold for each cartridge, it stands to reason they wouldn't get around to catching up on the Mach2 until after the LR, WMR and HMR.

It's just not that much a stretch to go from making HMRs to making Mach2s, so even if they're not a giant seller, there's so little overhead in the switch, they'd be foolish not to keep making .17M2s as long as the .17HMR survives.

I've got a Marlin 717M2 that I won't part with for love ner money. If I look out in the yard and see a varmint needs killin' but what my .20 Beeman airgun won't put a hinkey-knot on, I reach for the .17HM2. I've been thinking sincerely about trying it on the whitetail does that feast on my pear trees. It's zeroed at almost exactly the same distance as the first row of treet out my back door, so putting one in their brain box should be a snap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Mach2 is simply a necked-down 22LR case. If so, it shouldn't take much machinery to make them.

Contrast that with the 5MM Remington magnum, which has a unique case and really high pressures (around 33000 psi). This caused lots of headaches for both the gun makers and cartridge producers.

I'm still shooting from a stash of Mach2 Eleys in a 23-inch Contender. They do good.

Of course, I'm also still shooting my 5MM magnums too, but as converted centerfires.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Mach2 is simply a necked-down 22LR case. If so, it shouldn't take much machinery to make them.

Contrast that with the 5MM Remington magnum, which has a unique case and really high pressures (around 33000 psi). This caused lots of headaches for both the gun makers and cartridge producers.

I'm still shooting from a stash of Mach2 Eleys in a 23-inch Contender. They do good.

Of course, I'm also still shooting my 5MM magnums too, but as converted centerfires.

The HM2 is based on the Stinger case (just being pedantic about it :) )

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Mike if you want to sell those Eley rounds or want to trade for Hornadys I am your guy. ;)

The HM2 was at the bottom of the list for Hornady simply based on sales numbers. They have hit it 2-3 times this year as can be told when you see them on sale.

It is not super popular among all my shooting buddies but it is super popular with me. The accuracy borders on remarkable and there is no better squirrel/cottontail/small vermin round existent out to 125yds or so. I have stocked up this year though my favorite Eley ammo is no longer made the Hornady is no slouch. I love this little round and hope I never outgrow it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Check out 22 Plinksters video....

https://youtu.be/i1HRRWFA_1gHe reviews the Volquartsen Summit in 17M2 on his you tube channel.
Also shown is the new M2load from CCI.This round is a ton of fun out of my Sako Quad on Montana gophers,glad to see things getting back to normal in the rimfire world.
Matt

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Since this popped up again Midsouth has 17gr load for sale. FYI Hornady also makes a 15.5gr load and Fiocchi has just announced a 20gr load. There is no better squirrel/rabbit round in existence IMHO and learning from my past, I have stocked up to a couple cases worth. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts