Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some loads they like in there Mach IV I'm getting one on a trade and looking forward to shooting the gun.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd start with Benchmark....

N-133 works good too.Start with the 20V-MAX or a 22 Berger
and 17.3 Benchmark work up slowly 3 tenths of a grain at a time
and I'm sure you will be pleased,if the rifle had some good care in the past.
Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll second the Benchmark.

I like the 25 gr Berger and Benchmarkfor prairie dogs. The 20 V-Max worked good too.

If you've never had a 17M4 before, you're in for a treat. It's my favorite PD gun by far.

So tell us about your new gun...what action? What barrel? Who built it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has a REM 600 action , 24 Shilen barrel ,Jewel trigger ,sythetic stock, Leupold scope to top it off. Hope she shoots well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see some of you guys are listing Benchmark powder works well. What is the starting point for this powder for a 25 gr bullet. I have several pounds so this would work out well if the gun likes it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should try to find what the previous owner fed it to get an idea of how hot she likes it.

I'd start around 17.7-18.0 Benchmark for the 25s and go up in .2gr increments. I got up to 18.8 and it was real warm in my gun. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
187 Posts
.17 Mach IV loads

19.3 N-135 20 gr V-Max Moly coated 205M 4150 fps out of 24" Pacnor barrel.
Benchmark also shot well but I had 8lbs of N-135when I had my sako rebarreled by Pacnor so I tried it and it shot the best of any I tried.
I tested a few 25 V-Max moly a couple weeks ago,18.4 N-135 shot the best so far. Will test more this Spring.
I don't see too many recomending N-135,but it works really well in my gun.
With the moly and the VV powder I've shot 150-200 rounds and still cleans real easy.
Dave in IN

·
Registered
826 Posts
The M4 is an easy one to load for, unlike the 17 Rem......

If you want to check for lower velocity nodes, start off with 15.5g of H335 and/or 322 with a Berger 25. Go all the way up to 19.5g and you will hit several accuracy nodes. Barrels can vary on their velocity at 19.5g from 4050 fps-3900 fps. My reamer is a turn neck zero freebore reamer.

If you love copper in your barrel, start off using Hornady 25's flat base. You can use the Horanday's with success, but you will pay the price scrubbing copper out of your barrel in all 17's that I have had including the 17 Ackley Hornet.

A buddy of mine swears that the AA2230 is the way to go on the M4. Some of my very best crow, squirrel, and rabbit shooting memories was with a freind's 17 M4 that had a pencil barrel on a Sako...we sure killed a lot of animals with that gun. Anything you pointed at at 200-250 yards was dead meat.

It will be interesting to see what the feedback is on the 17 Hornady Poly tip. It is possible that they have decreased the amount of bearing surface to make the bullet foul less.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
One data point on the 25 VMAX

I bought a L461 in 17Rem with a 24 inch Shilen barrel. No real time for load development before going to CO for PD's so I took a stab at a safe hot weather load. The 25VMAX ran about 3800fps. But, I did take your advice and 'waxed' the bullets with Lee lube. Very little copper fouling, but a lot of black 'powder' fouling. Does the Lee lube cause any extra powder-like fouling? Never pushed it beyond 50 - 60 shots without cleaning, but I couldn't really tell any loss of accuracy in the field, either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts