Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing about these but I cannot find anything on these. Anyone seen anything on any websites about what one is and what it is built from?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think the Predator is like a 223 AI but necked down to 17. Might want to ask over at Saubier.com, sure they would know.

Mike

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It looks like the 17 Predator would be in the same class as the 17 Baker Max. I know a .223 case will fit inside a 357 Rem Max case, this means to me that the Baker Max and the Predator would be closer cousins than the 17 Rem in comparison.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx guys

I will give it a try!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My .17 Predator has turned out to be my all time favorite rig. I've been using it almost exclusively for coyote hunting since the start of last season. That coyote in the picture I'm using for my avatar got killed by my .17P a few seconds after that frame :D. Used it a fair bit on 'chucks and jack rabbits too. Even shot prairie dogs with it to fireform some brass. No problem whacking them out to a quarter mile with it.

Be glad to try and answer what questions I can.

- DAA

·
Registered
352 Posts
Question on 17P case forming & feeding

DAA, When viewing the cases side by side, it looks like it would be better to form 17P's from 223's rather than starting out with 17 Rems. Is that the way you do it - similar to forming AI cases?

I remember you saying that the 17P feeds "okay" from the magazine in your Rem Mod 7, but have you ever had a round pop out on the ground during a critical follow up shot situation?

Just wondering if the 17 Rem feeds from the mag better enough to make it more attractive in a repeater vice the extra fps of the 17P.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Theo,

You definitely want to use .223 brass instead of .17 Rem. I use my .17 Mach IV forming dies to neck them down and form a shoulder to hold headspace during fireforming.

Mine feeds "pretty good". I've had factory 700's that didn't feed any better. But, it isn't quite what youd call "slick". But I have not had any rounds pop up and out. In fact, I have not lost a chance for a follow up shot because of feeding yet. My buddy Tim has a couple times though, when he first started using it. He wasn't using a forceful enough action when working the bolt and had a couple times where the case hung up at an angle only half way into the chamber. Since he learned to work the bolt like he means it, that hasn't happened to him again though.

- DAA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, how do you think the 17 tactical would compare to the 17 predator(capacity etc)? if you can get similar performance it will surely be less hassle to load for now due to the new dakota brass and should feed through the mag well. I must admit i have a 'need' for either one of these rounds,the 17 tactial also looks like it will have a slightly longer neck too(from the one pic i have seen of the predator)?.Thanks for any help with these questions.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi all, how do you think the 17 tactical would compare to the 17 predator(capacity etc)? if
All else being equal, the .17 Tac sits about halfway between the .17 Rem and the .17P in capacity and performance. That is to say, (and again "all else being equal") that where the .17P gets about 200 fps more than the .17 Rem with 30 gr. bullets, the .17T gets about 100 fps more than the .17 Rem.

- DAA

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the answer Dave,they looked pretty similar from the pics i saw but as they were not in the same picture it was hard to get a good idea of how close they were!I have found a bit of info on the 17tactical and have only found your info on the 17 predator.

·
Registered
352 Posts
DAA, Do you remember what the neck diameter is on the 17P reamer?

I use a Type-S bushing die on my 17M4 necks. (I think the bushing is .198" w/o looking). Also wondering if you have to turn necks and if so at what stage in the forming process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts