Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now as I start to look into this 17 stuff it opens a big can of worms There is alot of wildcat variations !!!!!!!!!!! i found this http:// rmvhDanC.htm GOT ANY INFO THANKS SCOTT

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
There are more .17 wildcats than politician's lies (not really, but it's close enough). There are also several websites devoted to such things, like this one, and www.saubier.com, and others I won't mention here, but you could google 'em up easily enough. I doubt anyone has a handle on all of the .17 case squishing and reforming, trimming and chopping, that goes on with them. I started looking seriously into them after the HMR came out, and I can't keep up. Good luck on searching them out, there's some very interesting reading to do on the subject. There is even a magazine for smaller bores, Small Caliber News, who has some of it's writers amongst our own here. Be careful, it's like a black hole in space, it'll suck you in.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
.17 madness

Yep.... Glenn is right on it being a black hole ...both in money and time tinkering with new .17 wild cats....4 years ago I bought my 1 st .17 HMR
as of today ..I have 2 ..17 mach 4s..a 17 Ackley Hornet..a 17 Remington and 4 more 17 HMR rifles...oh I forgot the 17 mach 2 Marlin VS.

As Glenn said... check on www.Saubier.com for 17 Preditor info...the guys will have info for you........ Eric

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The difference between the .17P and the .17/223 is capacity. Someone with a better handle on the capacity of the .223 than I will have to chime in with some numbers. But the .17P definitely has more capacity and will achieve higher velocities than the .17/223. I belive the .17/223 is probably closer to the .17 Rem. in capacity, while the .17P is closer to the .17 PPC.

- DAA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts