Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
11,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get a bullet order placed in the next day or two. I'm gonna try "waxing" the bullets with Lee Lube instead of going moly. This CZ of mine is a copper mine.

I'm looking for any bullet suggestions you guys might have for foxes. So far, I've tried both Rem factory loadings (20 vmax and 25 HP) with only fair results. I've handloaded 25 gr hornady HP's and a couple Berger 30 grain moly's, having only fair results with H4895.

I'm thinking the 20 and 25 Vmax bullets are gonna tear a huge hole and likely explode on the surface if I hit bone. I don't shoot enough to sell and make money, but it would be nice to sell a few to help buy bullets/powder. Would I do better with heavier "match" type bullets such as Bergers or Kindler Golds? How are the Nagel bullets? Are they an explosive varmint bullet or a match style, or does he make both?

As for powders, I'm going to be using this rifle for groundhogs in the summer and foxes in winter. Temperature spread may be 80 degrees or more, so I'm trying the "extreme" powders first. H4895 hasn't been great. I may try Varget, Benchmark and/or H322 next. Any others I should consider? I've been told IMR4320, H380 and Win760 are good, but I think they may be too temp sensitive for my liking.

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Charlie, I think you're right on the money about using the heavier bullets. Foxes are so thin-skinned it's hard not to blow them up with any bullet that expands very fast. I'm not sure the 30's will work, but it is definitely a good idea to try. I'm using a load that consists of 23.7 grains of XMR4064 with a Rem. 71/2 primer in my Rem.700 .17Rem. I have found no other powder that gives the velocities and accuracy of that powder with the 30's. It shoots into 1/2 to 3/4MOA at 3,800fps in my factory-barreled sporter.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I like Varget

The 25 gr Berger match and 24.5 gr varget(work up to my load it's safe in my rifle maybe not in yours). Mild load in my gun not bad on fox. Are your fair results in the accuracy or wrecking fox? If you hit a bone your done.
If fox is the only target might try a 17 HMR should be good to 200 yds. Flame suit on.
EricT

·
Administrator
11,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Accuracy, not on live game

The 25 gr Berger match and 24.5 gr varget(work up to my load it's safe in my rifle maybe not in yours). Mild load in my gun not bad on fox. Are your fair results in the accuracy or wrecking fox? If you hit a bone your done.
If fox is the only target might try a 17 HMR should be good to 200 yds. Flame suit on.
EricT
I have not yet shot anything with this rifle. Missed a few groundhogs due to a bad scope. Okay, I missed 9 shots! Am I a slow learner or just too hard headed to give up! LOL

The only experience on foxes has been with my 22 hornet and Vmax's. VERY explosive to say the least. I do my hunting mostly at night, and placing the shot is a skill I have not mastered. Most of my hornet kills have shown baseball sized holes. I realize the 17 Rem may be worse, so I'm looking for a "lite" load. Don't intend to push the velocity envelope.

Don't own an HMR yet, but yes it would be the ticket. Thanks for the load info. I may try that.

Chalrie

·
Administrator
11,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
don't have XMR4064 on hand, but do have the IMR version

Charlie, I think you're right on the money about using the heavier bullets. Foxes are so thin-skinned it's hard not to blow them up with any bullet that expands very fast. I'm not sure the 30's will work, but it is definitely a good idea to try. I'm using a load that consists of 23.7 grains of XMR4064 with a Rem. 71/2 primer in my Rem.700 .17Rem. I have found no other powder that gives the velocities and accuracy of that powder with the 30's. It shoots into 1/2 to 3/4MOA at 3,800fps in my factory-barreled sporter.
IMR4064 is a favorite powder in several rifles I own and I have some data for it, so I may try it instead of buying a different powder. Not looking for a barrel burner. I think if I shoot a mild load with the match bullets, it may "hold them together" a little better.

Email on the way re the bullets. THANKS!

Charlie

·
Registered
210 Posts
30 or 25 grain match bullets

Are definately the way to go. Try various types and also try some AA2700. This is a really great powder for the 17 Rem with 30 grain bullets.

Mike.

·
Administrator
11,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the AA2700 temp sensitive?

Are definately the way to go. Try various types and also try some AA2700. This is a really great powder for the 17 Rem with 30 grain bullets.

Mike.
I have the data from the "sensational 17's" book by Kindler and AA2700 is highly recommended, but is the powder temp sensitive? Is it ball or stick? Never used any AA powders.

Charlie

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
IMO...4 things

#1. IMR4320 AND H322 are the best powders in the 17rem.
#2. 1/10 of a grain makes a diffrance in the 17.
#3.the horandy 25gr HP has a thicker jacket so not has easy to blow up.
#4.17 rem and moly go hand in hand.....but maybe the wax will work for ya.

·
Registered
263 Posts
charlie, i don't know much about shooting fox, but what i do know is if you push a 25 gr bullet much beyond 3000 fps the odds of ripping a hole goes up expardintially.
the 20 gr vmax works great as long as they stay below 3700 fps and you don't take a raking shot, raking shot will peel them like an orange.
center of the chest shot works real well, with either bullet.
even the smallest 15 gr burger will lay one open if the shot isn't square.

push them to fast and here is what can happen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes it is temperature sensative and it is a ball powder. Burn rate is just nearly the same as H380.

·
Administrator
11,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he,he,he...

charlie, i don't know much about shooting fox, but what i do know is if you push a 25 gr bullet much beyond 3000 fps the odds of ripping a hole goes up expardintially.
I was afraid someone would tell me that! LOL

Thanks for telling me straight up!

Charlie

·
Registered
65 Posts
17 Rem

I use IMR 3031 21.5 grains and fed small rifle primer. I use the hornady 25 grain hollow point. I have only shot one fox and the rest were coyotes. The fox at 100 yards, lung shot no exit. Longest coyote shot 200 yards and again no exit. Hope I have helped you. Ghost

·
Registered
189 Posts
17 Rem

I'm trying to get a bullet order placed in the next day or two. I'm gonna try "waxing" the bullets with Lee Lube instead of going moly. This CZ of mine is a copper mine.

I'm looking for any bullet suggestions you guys might have for foxes. So far, I've tried both Rem factory loadings (20 vmax and 25 HP) with only fair results. I've handloaded 25 gr hornady HP's and a couple Berger 30 grain moly's, having only fair results with H4895.

I'm thinking the 20 and 25 Vmax bullets are gonna tear a huge hole and likely explode on the surface if I hit bone. I don't shoot enough to sell and make money, but it would be nice to sell a few to help buy bullets/powder. Would I do better with heavier "match" type bullets such as Bergers or Kindler Golds? How are the Nagel bullets? Are they an explosive varmint bullet or a match style, or does he make both?

As for powders, I'm going to be using this rifle for groundhogs in the summer and foxes in winter. Temperature spread may be 80 degrees or more, so I'm trying the "extreme" powders first. H4895 hasn't been great. I may try Varget, Benchmark and/or H322 next. Any others I should consider? I've been told IMR4320, H380 and Win760 are good, but I think they may be too temp sensitive for my liking.

Thanks,

Charlie
Varget and a 25 Grain Kindler bullet... You'll like it much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts