Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam going to use a 17 cal 700 rem in a 100 yard shoot . Is making the bullet go slower would help me in accuarcy . Right now i am useing accurate 2700 at 26.5 grains of powder. With 30 gr berger bullets THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

·
Registered
876 Posts
Accuracy

Accurate is accurate whatever speed you get. Find a super accurate load then clock it for your ballistic curve. Right now I am on the path of finding more speed and KEEP my accuracy. Usually the accurate load is NOT the fastest. That is why most manuals list both an "accuracy" load and a "hunting" load. My super accurate load in my .17 Remington is really slow. I didnt intend it that way though. Now I am searching for a load that is faster and is just as accurate. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I thought of something else.

My 30gr. load uses Varget. Have you tried that powder? Have you tried 25gr. bullets as well? What kind of groups are you getting at 100 yards? Have you tweaked your seating depth at all?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
17 Remington

At only 100 yards I'm not really sure the 30 Gr. bullets are going to buy you a lot. I've found that my very most accurate 17 load is a 25 Gr. Berger with real close to 24.0 Gr. of IMR 4320. At this range also the added velocity will possibly help in the wind with higher velocity.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
17 rem

Yes i have tried the 20 and 25 bullets with different powders and seating depth . The gun likes the 30 bergers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts