Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many are using the 17hmr's little brother......the 17mach2?

i am having a 17hm2 contender barrel built by OTT. 12.5", ss, and fluted handgun barrel. will be a few months before i get it though. :(
i think this will be one majorly fun round with multiple uses here. those corn eating blackbirds will pay this summer :D
head shootin squirrels for the pot in the fall/winter may be fun too :)

plus.......gonna have to be one pleasantly accurate round to target shoot with when i'm not ready to reload ammo.

who's shootin one...n how ya like it?

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
I have one in a CZ Model 452 rifle that shoots extremely well. It's a fun round to plink with....I just haven't decided yet what it's good for for me as squirrels, etc. are not part of what I normally hunt.

But it's a fun little round to shoot.

For anyone contemplatiing a CZ 452, spring for the custom trigger guard that's available. The rifle is extremely nice until you look at the stamped metal trigger guard that looks worse than the one on a Rem 788.

http://www.rdcustomproducts.com/

JMO - BCB

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have the Marlin 717m2, a semi-auto rifle, and just love it! I am getting 2" @ 100yds and less than an inch at 50yds. I have heard of people getting close to 1"@100yds but I am not a benchrest shooter just an average off hand field shooter. You will love this round. For the barrel at OTT, are you getting his "over/under" barrel? This is for the Contender only and gives you two shots without reloading. Mike is a superb craftsman, spent over 4 hours with him a year or so ago and I watched as he chambered a barrel using his patented techniques.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you getting his "over/under" barrel?
no i'm not :( ....but i'd loved to have had one. it did cross my mind, but i just couldn't find enough funds.

talk about inovation! that double barrel design would be awesome on a contender. one could have both of the 17 rimfires in one gun :cool:

mike calls it the "JKL"

http://www.ottllc.com/JKL.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
Currently have two M2 rifles....both BVSS Savage....very accurate cartridge...within its limits....my Savage will put 8 out of 10 shots inside a nickle @ 50 yds using Eley ammo...I use mine as a close in rifle for short range p/dogs & crows & feral cats...:) 50-150 yds.......but have reached 200 yds on confirmed p/dog kills from a portable table set up...ammo cost is down to $5 a pack....which makes it that much more fun...yes an honest 2105 fps with the Eley ammo...hits dogs hard with selective shooting....I'm sold ! pic is dead dog @ 145 yds....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good to hear on the HM2. I just bought a Contender Barrel in a 17 HM2. Can't wait to try it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also have a CZ452 in Mach 2. Very accurate, esp. with Eley ammo, ans shots quite flat to 100 yds. IMO it's the perfect squirrel rifle - if you take head shots, it can be pretty destructive elsewhere! Obviously a pretty expensive plinker compared to the .22, so I don't. Just keep the one for squirrels and crows (pretty good for these also). I missed out on the big Midway sale on Eley fodder, but plan to stock up and hold on to this rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts