Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i am new to this site, these last couple years fox and coyote hunting has become a pasion! right now i have a 17hmr very accurite gun but is it enough to take down a coyote out at 100 +yards?

also i have a western river eltronic mp3 player its a call to me it sounds good but i have yet to call anything in! right now i am in the proces of making a moving decoy and so far it is turning out pretty nicely! i want ot hook it up with teh electronic call and see what happens? just wondering if alot you people in your expierence have and luck with these types of call?

i have shot one coyote out deer hunting a few years ago since then i have been hooked!! i am planning on getting a larger caliber rifle this up coming summer and suggestions on a good round?

thanks guys!
paul

·
Registered
460 Posts
What kind of land are you hunting? For close quarters combat, it maybe ok. But, my oldest son went deer hunting in MT last month and a kid on the ranch reported that the coyotes he shot with the 17 HMR seemed to all run before they died. The ones shot in the chest would head out on a rope for about 400 yds and fall over dead. Probably not ideal if you want to retrieve the dog in any kind of cover at all. You may have a hard time finding them.

As far as MP3's and electronic calling... that's what I use when I can. I think I can get more diversity in sounds with it. Last week, with my boys, I setup 5 stands and called in dogs pretty close in 2 of them. Had howling or barking at the other 3. I thought that was pretty effective and got real Western a couple of times.

Another place to get sounds on a website called www.VarmintAl.com. I really like this guy...he has a lot of good stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks steven

i am in wisconsin , we have a desent varity of land lots of fields,hills,and woods,i want to get a fox mounted that is why i wanted to use the 17, but maybe for now i should stick with the 270 till i get a gun strictly for varmits!

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Coyotes run till they are DEAD and then fall down. If you don't want to track'em forever, you better invest in something Heavier. (Use the Deer Rifle if you aren't skinnin them). I use a .22 BR and a .243. Solves the problem: Right There He Is....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds good.

It may work better for foxes with good bullet placement fairly close.

With your 270, if you try a Barnes bullet or something for long range big game, and slowed down a little, it will most likely punch two holes, one in and one out, then only require a couple of stitches to fix up.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
The 17hmr: Are you a steely eyed cold blooded killer? Can you have game in your face at 50 yds and put that bullet right in the eye or ear? Do you lay awake at night wondering what happened to that animal you shot but didn't recover?

When I ask myself these questions, I reach for a 223.
There used to be a guy around here who could answer those questions for himself and killed a fair amount of coyotes with the hmr. He could do it, I can't, and you have to answer that question for yourself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts