Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the latest Sportsmans guide and found the new MK2 ammo cheaper than a guy can buy the bullets for? Ya they are only 17 grainers but I'll bet they would be fast out of the centerfires:eek:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=325192&pn=1
If they are indead the same diameter it might be a good way to keep me ocupied for a while but then what do you do with the powder and emty MK2 cases???? Just gota find a good way to get the little suckers outa there?
Its easy being cheap,I just make it look hard

Got at least two more months before they put me back to work so I got nothin but time and that is always ben a bad thing fer me.

As usual I'm just rambleing but would consider pulling some of these if it has any merit?

·
Registered
407 Posts
The 17 Mach 2 is the best of the bunch for my $$$$$

The 17 centerfires are barrel burners and the ammo cost to much. The 17 HMR is great, but, the ammo is still about 22 cents a round. The 17Mach2 has about the same ballistics as the 22 mag and 17 HMR, but, the ammo is less than 10 cents a round--a great way to go! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting consept

Ya mean a guy could and/or should shoot them in a Mk2 barrel ;)
You realize if I get a Mk2 the price of ammo is gona double dontchya :eek:
Well now that I think about it I could tear my 10-22 apart and trick it out in Mk2.
What I realy ment to ask is the bore the same on the rimfire and centerfire 17s? Would these bullets work in a 17MKIV or could a 17HMR bull barrel be able to be fitted to a CZ and used as a centerfire?

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Yes, they're the same bore diameter.

But even at HMR velocities, the 17 grain bullet is pretty fragile on impact. Add another 1,000 to 1500 fps velocity and they might work fine for something very light like thin skinned field mice.

The 17 CF rounds are best with 25 and 30 grain bullets for longer range shooting. Quite a difference, but I suppose if you're really bored, you might be the only kid on the block shooting them in a 17 Rem or a Mach IV.

You might check with a custom bullet maker who would be able to make you a light 17 caliber bullet with a little heavier jacket for the CF velocities. There are a few around making the light bullets in 17. I'm not at home, so I don't have a list of 17 custom makers handy.

The 17 CF rounds are great rounds and in no way can be compared to a 17 M2 or a 17 HMR. Two diferent breeds of cat totally.

Incidently, I must be doing something wrong though with one of my 17 Rems. It has over 3.5k rounds through it and it still shoots just fine. And the barrel doesn't foul hardly at all. As a matter of fact, that's the case with all of my 17 CF rifles. Can someone help me.....? I must be doing something wrong....

JMO -BCB

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
the 17/17s work quite well at over 4,000 fps...

and they are STILL very accurate.
I loaded about 1,200 of them into my 17 Ackley Hornet at about 3,750 fps which is a medium to mild load with that bullet{edit= should have said "cartridge"}, and shot the guts out of a few Montana ground squirrels. One thing about them, they have a boat tail,,and are easier to place into mouths of all those 17 AH cases! A friend spewed them out of his 17 Mach IV at 4,250 [or was it 4,150 fps] and they were very accurate at that velocity.

The Vmax and Ballistic Tip bullets are a marvelous engineering design. Because of the plastic point acting as an "opening wedge" on the inside end,,,the bullets jackets can be made with "thicker" jacket metal than normal hollow point or various other 'varmint bullets', and still expand explosively UPON IMPACT.
Without the plastic tip and it's 'wedge' base,,a bullet has to depend soley on the hollow point and/or THIN jacket to expand fast as a 'varmint bullet' should. But,,,then the rotation from higher velocity can make the bullet self destruct in flight,,,entertaining for a few shots,,but not good for getting to the varmint target!
Super engineering design, I say,,,V maxes and Ballistic Tips.
PS---> they were available as "rejects" only,,,If you knew someone that lived nearby Hornady! It will probably be another year before the 17 grain 17 cal Vmaxes are boxed as components. Too many HMR and M2 cases eating them up for now.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If those bullets are expoldeing like I`m hearing at 2100 fps I do`nt think you would be able to push them to max. even in a .17 AH. I`m pushing 19 gr. Calhoon to 3,600 fps. with the Hornet case and I don`t think those would hold up. Besides, they are not that much cheaper and the extra work pulling bullets wouldn`t be worth it to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CJ, it does seem funny you can purchase a rimfire case, a small amount of powder and a bullet for less than a box of bullets.... I have thought of the same thing (pulling bullets) but from a safety stand point it just isn't worth it. the lil guys are crimped in pretty good too! Like BCB said they are the same dia as the centerfire bullets.

Also like BCB said they are designed to be used at the rimfire velocities. Because of this reason Hornady has decided not to box them 17/17s up and put them in their product line for 2007. (We can only hope for 08!!)

A few years back a bunch of them 17/17s got out some how, I think an outlet in Texas and I was able to get some. They are the best darn bullets for centerfire 17s using less than 10-12 grs of powder. I shot them in 3 different 17s smaller than a Hornet sized case and they are awesome with the best results around 3300-3400 fps... I have shot them a lot faster from a 17 AH with good results but with the lighter, lower BC bullets it seems like a waste of powder to not shoot the awesome 20 gr V-max in the 17 AH.

Again as BCB said the 17 rem cf is more designed for the heavier bullets and I won't shoot anything lighter than a 25 gr V-Max in mine although the 20s do just fine it is a shame not to get the full potential from a 17 rem!

As Bear said the 17 HM2 is a great bang for the buck. The trajectory and explosive 17/17 bullet makes it a great spring time PD gun, my kids can pop pups out to 130 yards real easy! Unlike Bear I have had a quit different experience with the CF 17s but I am sure his good intentions were based on some sort of bad experience along the way... I currently shoot 13 different 17 CFs and have 2 of most em and some I have 3 (Sporter weight, Varmint and handgun). I have had 2 copper foulers both I purchased used and one I don't think ever got cleaned from the get-go but I can not say they are any more barrel burners than my 7mm STW or even my 270 or 22-250 for that matter????

I think the new 17 Rem Fireball is going to be a nice round near identical to the Mach IV you mentioned. I don't see how ya can go wrong having both 17 RFs and both 17 CFs in your armory!

BCB- I'm here to help... Give me all of your 17 (and 20s) and you will have nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like my M2's....Savage BVSS's & Eley ammo

I'm sold on the cute little cartridge....very quiet...flat & accurate ! Here's a dead dog taken @ 145 yds....have stretched it out to 235 yds last summer with two confirmed kills....from my portable table set up...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Geez 3 post since I got long winded... Just wanted to add that although I do not have one (yet) I think the TC auto HM2 would be sooo cool. I did the 10/22-10/17 conversion and it just gets too darn expensive. The Cabelas 77/22 conversion barrel (made by green mountain) is outstanding for the $$!

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
BCB- I'm here to help... Give me all of your 17 (and 20s) and you will have nothing to worry about!
Thanks, Gary!!!

Now that I know they burn up barrels, I'm afraid to shoot them anymore. :eek:

Maybe you could get all the 17's and the 20's in your suitcase when you're in Houston. That would lighten the load on my mind.... I'd hate to have to unscrew a barrel and replace it. ;)

That is what the threads are for though, isn't it? :D

-BCB

·
Registered
735 Posts
The 17 centerfires are barrel burners and the ammo cost to much. The 17 HMR is great, but, the ammo is still about 22 cents a round. The 17Mach2 has about the same ballistics as the 22 mag and 17 HMR, but, the ammo is less than 10 cents a round--a great way to go! Good luck.
A 17M2 has nowhere near the same ballistics as the .22Mag. or the HMR.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have actually found the 17 grainer's to be a little on the tuff side in the HMR.It sure don't tare a dog up too bad and its easy to shoot through one dog and get the one behind it! Have had a lot of crawler with these,especially past 150 yards!!!!
Thats what got me to thinking a little more velocity with this bullet would be a good thing!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks GLWenzl
Just what I was looking for=real world expeience. Learned a lot in this thread!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kinda figured it was just a barrel change to get from 10-22 to17-22?
What other changes have to be made?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
pulling the bullets,,,

pulling the 17/17s from either factory case would be futile. They get SUPER CRIMPED when loaded by the factory. This crimp really sqashes a dee canelure in the itty bitty pills, making attempts at loading to 1,000+ fps higher velocity a poor choice.
Aside from that,,,I've pulled 40 grain bullets from rimfire cartridges,,,and I'm guessing a little 17 grain bullet would require a pretty hard WHACK in the puller to remove it [little inertia from it's small mass]. A mechanical puller could work.
I've got a few of the 17/17s left, but am going with the 20 and 25 V maxes when those are gone. Nice bullets in a centerfire,,but novel at best,,and the heavier brothers are better I think.
IF you can get unloaded 17/17 Vmaxes,,they are fun. If you have to pull them,,forget it.
You want the few I have left to play with?
Let me know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
17 center fire

Iam shooting 30 gr molycoated berger bullets in my 17 rem. I am moving my bullets at 4400 feet per second and it leaves a vapor trail most days. And as far as a barrel burner iam still trying to burn one up. The vapor trail and accuracy impresses me the most.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As to the 22 to 17M2

Barrel and a heavier bolt handle or heavier bolt(quite costly). Barrel and bolt kits new 160-180 used a bit cheaper. The 17 is faster on the blow-back and needs the xtra weight to slow the ejection to allow for burn in the chamber.
Some play with heavy springs and porting but on mine went with the bolt barrel(well its the wife's) she doesn't like the bolt guns, just wants to pull the trigger a lot sheesh.

LEN

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
If anyone is interested I can explain how I built my HM2 10/22... or should that be 10/17HM2?

The heavy bolt handle from Eabco was crap. Lots of stovepipes, jams, case head splits and accuracy was only so so. I have found that the only perfect barrel length for this quirky little round is 16.5". Any longer and the pressure spike throws the 10/22 timing off. I ended up going with heavier hammer and bolt springs and a slightly heavier bolt handle and have 100% function. Here is a very typical 50 yard group:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.