1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

I just finished this build. The specs are;
Remington 788, the original barrel was a .223
Douglas 1-11 twist barrel chambered in a Todd Kindler 20 VarTarg dimensioned for Lapua brass (221 Fireball)
Harrells Brake
Timney 1.5 lb. Trigger
Boyd Stock (second grade from eBay)
Cerakote Vortex Bronze and Micro Slick on the bolt
I polished the striker and replaced the sticker spring.
Trued the receiver face and had my local machine shop surface grind the recoil lug.

Next steps, develop a load. I have 32 gr V-Max and 35 gr Berger FB Varmint Bullets and AA2200, N120, and H335 powder to work with.

Questions and comments welcomed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moving on to load development. I loaded up 3 rounds to check out the rifle and to pressure check the max load. Specs are: 32 gr V-Max, N120, new Lapua brass. I think the pic pretty well details out the rest of the story. Oh yeah, I think the gun is going to be a shooter - all three rounds went into the same hole! Oh and I should mention I have a XP-100 20 VarTarg build in the queue, so I’m going to try one load that will work in both guns, that’s why the N120.
Wood Cork Font Room Machine

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the best load I came up with;
18.0 gr N-120, 1.937” COAL, (.001” off the lands), 32 gr V-Max, 3650 fps
Of course I’ll want to see what kind of results higher temps will produce, but at this point I can say the rifle is performing as expected. Next l have some A2200 and Berger 35 gr FB to try.

Font Circle Measuring instrument Gauge Number

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.