Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. I am brand new to this forum and I think I will enjoy it and hopefully get some really good information and help that I certainly need. A friend of mine got me hooked on shooting at very small targets far away. Now my 30-30 just would not do the job so we are building up a 20 Vartarg rifle. I have the action, the barrel, the chassis, the scope and some .221 fireball brass. However, for the life of me I cannot find a set of 20 Vartarg dies anywhere. Can you help me find a location where these are available new or used. At this point, I have a very expensive and pretty steel and aluminum club. The problem is I can't throw that club far enough to hit what I am aiming for. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
PapaRon

·
Administrator
3,539 Posts
Welcome PapaRon,I think most of the big die makers make them. I know there are some on here that use that caliber that should be able to help.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Welcome aboard PapaRon. I have a 20 Vartag barrel for a savage rifle but no dies. I do have a 221 rifle and an XP100 in 221, its a great accurate cartridge. Midway and Southern shooters should have dies. Mike

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Midsouth has Hornady dies on backorder but not sure how long it takes to get them. I would recommend Redding dies dies even though I have the Hornady. Just not real fond of them.
You might put a want ad on Accurateshooter.com as well.
Good luck with your build it a very nice little cartridge.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I would suggest you get a Redding Type S 221 Fireball or 17 Fireball die of same. I use the same die for all three cartridges and just change neck bushings. A Wilson seater die is arguably the best choice for a seater, but in a pinch you can use the Redding 221 Fireball seater. You may be able to get a Vartarg from Hornady, but IMO the Type S is still the best choice.

Rick

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Welcome Aboard PAPARON! I can't help on the dies, the places that I usually use look to be out of them. Be patient, Midway is showing stuff in stock that they haven't had for over a year.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Welcome on board and I would echo what the others have said about a Wilson seater and the Redding die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, what a response! Thank you all for your welcome and suggestions. Everyone seems to be on back order. Some even say "expected delay of 7-8 months". Several people have said buy the Redding dies. For now, I just want to get some dies so I can see if I really like the caliber. Anyway, all suggestions are very welcomed. I have a request to join Saubier but have not received a response yet. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would suggest you get a Redding Type S 221 Fireball or 17 Fireball die of same. I use the same die for all three cartridges and just change neck bushings. A Wilson seater die is arguably the best choice for a seater, but in a pinch you can use the Redding 221 Fireball seater. You may be able to get a Vartarg from Hornady, but IMO the Type S is still the best choice.

Rick
Rick, thank you for your suggestions. I really like the idea of just one set of dies for three cartridges. Now if I can find some Redding dies and bushings, I'll be good to go. On a totally unrelated topic, I notices you are located in Tennessee. I have heard good things about Tennessee. You see I am a captive of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia (all prayers for us are appreciated). Our family has been talking about relocating to somewhere like Tennessee for some time. Where is the best, most civilized (less Liberal) parts of the state. Someone told me to stay away from the big cities. Have they gone over to the dark side? I always like input from people who are on the ground. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Welcome to this website.
Greyfox is the "Vartarg Guru" on here and I would try to find what he suggested.
In relation to your other question....
Tennessee or Guntucky are great choices for "Gun People."
And all big cities are about all Liberal Cesspools...we have 2 in Kentucky that should be walled off with concertina.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Rick, thank you for your suggestions. I really like the idea of just one set of dies for three cartridges. Now if I can find some Redding dies and bushings, I'll be good to go. On a totally unrelated topic, I notices you are located in Tennessee. I have heard good things about Tennessee. You see I am a captive of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia (all prayers for us are appreciated). Our family has been talking about relocating to somewhere like Tennessee for some time. Where is the best, most civilized (less Liberal) parts of the state. Someone told me to stay away from the big cities. Have they gone over to the dark side? I always like input from people who are on the ground. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Ron
I would choose upper Middle TN, but in truth anywhere outside the major population cities would be good (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Knoxville..avoid these at all costs)
You can reach me [email protected] if you want to ask more specific questions.

Rick

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
PAPARON, if you have not moved in a while, in addition to what others have already said, be sure to check out local, state and real estate taxes for any location you consider. There is lots of variation between states and localities.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I dont own a .20 Vartarg but have shot one thanks to an old Colorado Prarie Dog killer 😆 and I can tell you I expect if you set your rifle up right you will be happy. That .20 was probably the most accurate rifle/round I have ever fired, period. I was picking off PD pups at ranges I never thought possible.

Now I don't know if you have been or intend to go but get a lot of advice here 1st about PD hunting. It will help. Just a couple things: Take more water/Gatorade than you think you'll need and a substantial lunch - not just snacks. Take insect repellent- there are biting Flys. Along that vein take long sleeved white shirts and light long pants or a mosquito suit.

And finally the wind - it never stops and WILL drive you crazy. Don't let it.. just expect it. Oh and finally heed advice dependent on where , when and what you will shoot how many rifles And how how much ammo to take for each.

FYI the vast majority of my 1st PD shoot was with .223 but I did have my own. 243 and .257 WSWM, both of which are high velocity loads and 1/2" shooters at 100yds. FYI my 1st trip I took 6 Rifles and 2 pistols and a total about 7,000 of ammo.

It was enough. But just barely. 😅

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont own a .20 Vartarg but have shot one thanks to an old Colorado Prarie Dog killer 😆 and I can tell you I expect if you set your rifle up right you will be happy. That .20 was probably the most accurate rifle/round I have ever fired, period. I was picking off PD pups at ranges I never thought possible.

Now I don't know if you have been or intend to go but get a lot of advice here 1st about PD hunting. It will help. Just a couple things: Take more water/Gatorade than you think you'll need and a substantial lunch - not just snacks. Take insect repellent- there are biting Flys. Along that vein take long sleeved white shirts and light long pants or a mosquito suit.

And finally the wind - it never stops and WILL drive you crazy. Don't let it.. just expect it. Oh and finally heed advice dependent on where , when and what you will shoot how many rifles And how how much ammo to take for each.

FYI the vast majority of my 1st PD shoot was with .223 but I did have my own. 243 and .257 WSWM, both of which are high velocity loads and 1/2" shooters at 100yds. FYI my 1st trip I took 6 Rifles and 2 pistols and a total about 7,000 of ammo.

It was enough. But just barely. 😅
Thanks for all the info and advice. I really appreciate it. I had better start stocking up on loading components and powder when I can find it.
PapaRon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts