Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone notice that the 2007 Hodgdon manual seems to have less cartridges listed with loads than previous manuals?

I picked one up and noticed that it did not have the one off cartridges like before. Like the 6mm-222 is not there. None of the 17 calibers where there. I only have the 2003 (copyrighted 2002) with me so I cannot look at the last few years of manuals but I thought they were adding more cartridges previously but this one (2007) seemed alot sparser than before. Alot of cartridges are no longer listed.

I was disappointed and did not pick up a new copy this time.

DB

·
Registered
365 Posts
Still waiting on mine, Dr B. I get one every year; if what you say is correct, it would be a turnaround. They had been increasing the cartridge count every year, if only to reflect the newer rounds being introduced. Perhaps they had to make room for such wonders as the .325 simply due to page count and therefore dropped a few with a bit less whiz in their bang.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Followup on this from comments on Saubier...

Still waiting on mine, Dr B. I get one every year; if what you say is correct, it would be a turnaround. They had been increasing the cartridge count every year, if only to reflect the newer rounds being introduced. Perhaps they had to make room for such wonders as the .325 simply due to page count and therefore dropped a few with a bit less whiz in their bang.
Thread at Saubier.com about the change in the 2007 Manual.

Seems they have pulled alot of previous cartridges and stuff to focus on
a theme issue this years. Have a look.

DB

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ahhh. To copy/paste a post from that other forum:

"The theme this year is the 50 most popular rifle and pistol cartridges, based on die sales. That’s why there aren’t any wildcats in the new issue. The 2007 manual also includes data for Winchester powders since Hodgdon now distributes those."

So, it would seem to me they are stuck between schist and basalt. To make room for all the powders they now repesent, they have to drop cartridges. Concentrating on the 50 most popular seems to be a reasonable way to do that. Anyone who wants more can plump for the full-sized manual.

Perhaps next year they'll opt to list the newest 50 cartridges introduced or something like that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Followup on Hodgdon Data

It seems if you visit the hodgdon website they have a data website which now has what appears to be all the other cartridges they pulled for this years issue. 17 and other wildcats. And the data looks to be more complete than what they have posted under the normal online data. For instance their normal listings on the webpage for 25-20WCF was one bullet weight but under the new data pages it has listed the other weights that is in the published annual manual. The data webpage also has listed loads for IMR and Winchester.

Here is the link to the data pages .... Hodgdon Data Webpages

Just looked over at saubier.com and a similar post is over there an one person said he spoke to a Hodgdon rep at the Shot Show and that Hodgdon is going to distribute V&V powders to soon. Interesting.

DB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts