Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Winchester for me

I have been using my first bag of Winchester brass, and it comes out
of the bag very consistent lengthwise. I always trim them to square
them, and to get them all close to min. length, to start load development.
The Winchester brass is making this Savage 16 FSS happy, or better
yet, this shooter. The barrel has had less than 50 rounds down the
tube, and a H4895 load, pushing a 35 gr. Berger, at 3800 something
fps, snuck a 3 shot group in just under .3 MOA. The wind was calm,
and so was the trigger puller. All test groups came in under .7 MOA, and
most were under .5 MOA. I am now loading a batch of a couple of 5 shot
groups with this load, to see if I get any fliers, and to learn how the
barrel behaves with the heat from 5 round groups. But the Winchester
brass is looking good, in this bag. I didn't even sort the brass by
weight, or clean up the flash holes! I haven't tried any Remington
brass, and until Winchester gives me reason to, I will be sticking with
Winchester, for this .204 Ruger.

Squeeze

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have been happy with the Hornady brass. Haven't tried the others since I have been good results with that. Of course, I spent some money shooting up factory ammo in the process.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Formed cases from Rem .222 Rem Mag brass when I first got the rifle--ammo was scarce then. It worked well, but was a bit of a bother to do all the fire-forming. Have been using Win cases since they became available and like them (have 1,200 of 'em:D )
Bob

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Using both brands...too early to tell yet. 2X loads on the RP and 3x on the Win.

BOTH sucked out of the bag - casemouths were...well...not round!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I had problems with Win. brass. For load development I load 5 case and shoot them and then load them again for the next load. Out of the first 5 cases I use 2 of them split on the second loading and 1 on the third. I call Win. and they said they were not haveing trouble, BUT :confused: :confused: I haven`t reloaded any case since then over twist.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Had a problem with 222 R.M. Brass

Formed cases from Rem .222 Rem Mag brass when I first got the rifle--ammo was scarce then. It worked well, but was a bit of a bother to do all the fire-forming. Have been using Win cases since they became available and like them (have 1,200 of 'em:D )
Bob
I did the same thing when I first started reloading for my 204, until I had a case split on the shoulder, even with a reduced charge. The gases escaped while fire-forming and left the bullet lodged in the chamber. Had a time of it getting the bullet out. Finally filled the barrel with Kroil and let it sit for a week or so. The bullet popped out with a good whack from a hammer and brass rod.

Lost a little respect for the Remington brass at that point, but that's wild-catting. Glad I don't have to do that anymore though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sure glad we don't have to do that anymore, Steven:) Never had any split cases, but quite a few that did not fully form the shoulder--ended up using Unique and the 32gr V-Max. Shot them into Cabelas bags full of newspaper in my basement:eek: After all the fuss, the brass worked fine, just a bunch easier to size the Win factory brass and load it.
Bob

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought two cases of Hornady factory loads since there were no component cases available at the time. I typically use Winchester brass when available. So far, I haven't had any problems with the Hornady brass with my reloads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts