Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate any recommendations for an out-of-the-box varmit rifle based on overall performance: accuracy, trigger quality, price,...etc. The manufacturer's service is also important. I intend to shoot groundhogs from 75 yds to 400 yds, crows and occasstional foxes and coyotes. There are several good choices and would appreciate any experiences you have had and a recommended model. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Walking or Bench gun?

If you want a good bench gun for PD's or other non walk-up varmints go with the Savage LRPV or the VLP. If your going to carry it very far the CZ would be the best choice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
204 Ruger

Well, I have a Savage Model 11, Bought it in Spring of 2005. Has accutrigger, paid just a little over 320 dollars for it. The rifle is very accurate and the accutrigger is fantastic. My only complaint is that the rifle is very barrel heavy. It is definately not well balanced. I use shooting sticks for my coyote hunting and that does help alot. The only thing I wish the Savage had different, is better balance. I am very happy with the Rifle as far as accuracy and dependability. I have a friend who jsut bought a Howa in 204 with a 22 inch barrel and I must admit it is very well balanced. Hope I have helped you a little. Ghost

·
Registered
230 Posts
A 204 CZ Varmint just followed me home the other day...

I've been reading here and on Saubier how people like the CZ and Wednesday I picked one up and did'nt put it down. The barrel is more a heavy sporter or light varminter, but the whole gun balances very well for me. As for accuracy, I'll let let the target show you that....

The first round out is the left and low shot in the middle target ; the next 4 are in the middle group. the next five are in the lower right target. this is with factory Hornady 32 gr VMax bullets. This has to THE best out of the box varmint gun I have ever owned.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a Remington XR-100 in 204. It is well balanced (I think) and shoots pretty good. Still developing loads for it, shoots well under an inch as long as I do my part. I have a 6.5-20X Nikon mounted on it, works well. I've heard good and bad about the CZs, some shoot, some don't. Thats true with any rifle though. Good luck!

·
Registered
519 Posts

I would seriously look at the XR 100. I have two of them, .223 and .308 and I will have a .204 and maybe the .22-250 as well.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
All that's left to say...................

now that I think of it, is this; I don't know anybody who has a .204 who is unhappy with the gun. Just get the right tool for what you have in mind and you'll be happy, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
cz .204 ruger!

Ibought one a while back and all I can say is wow, the balance of the gun the beautiful stock and the sst trigger is awesome. After break in and with the 32 gr, hornday ammo I am getting consistently in the .6`s and I haven`t even begun to attempt to reload yet. I own several savages and they are excellent rifles but to carry one I will stick sith the cz as I coyote hunt and cover alot of ground walking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oreo

Yes my cz is a 527 varmint I looked at the American but it was not heavy of a barrel for me, however the american came with the rings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I sure like the CZ I have friend that has the American model in 204 It shoots very well with the 40 gr bergers and VV powder. We went out yesterday and he shot a coyote at 315 yds, did a very nice job on the yote, Nice clean quick kill. I shot a bobcat with it at about 100 yds that day as well, Was a little rough on the fur. I had one in 223,(wish I did not sell it) it shot fabulous. I will buy more CZ's for sure.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Over the last year

I've shot 3 different Savages, 2 Remingtons, and a Ruger in 204 that were all heavy barrels, and the Savages were the most accurate.

I also had the pleasure of shooting a sporter weight barrel CZ in 204 and it shot as well as several of the heavy barreled 204's that I shot. WD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts