Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you hard-core varminters out there managed to truly wear out a .204 Ruger barrel yet? What's the expected round count for a barrel used hot-n-dirty in a 'dog town or squirrel field? Moly or not?

Thanks,

Monte

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
204 round count...

We haven't had any of ours long long enough to worry about it yet but, I'll say this; My wife would probably set a record for short barrel life if I didn't pay attention. She gets on a roll whackin' p dogs and never mind everything else. She'll heat up the barrel of a CZ 527 Varmint to where you can't touch it in no time at all. In all fairness, that barrel does heat up quicker than my Savage. Let's just say she likes shooting 'em but the gun has only had around 1K rounds through it in a total of 5 days shooting.

BTW, I like your sig lines.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I haven't had my .204 out for the pd's yet, but the guy at Sierra told me the bbl life for the .204 should be about the same as the .223. I hope he's right! I'm sure a constant banging with no let up would adversely affect the life span though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Runs in my mind that Dogbuster got 2,500 rds out of one.

and then rebarreled. With any luck perhaps he'll chime in here and refresh my wore out ol memory. I was just a little taken aback when I read of this, thinking that it would have been more. Hope he posts in this thread.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I haven't had my .204 out for the pd's yet, but the guy at Sierra told me the bbl life for the .204 should be about the same as the .223. I hope he's right! I'm sure a constant banging with no let up would adversely affect the life span though.

I think the guy at Sierra was, uh, well, sorta pulling your chain.

That's like saying the barrel life of a .260 is the same as a .308, (which it AIN'T).

The .204 has a larger case and a smaller bore, at higher velocities than the .223 - that all adds up to shorter barrel life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts